Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Taking our car to Spain...few tricky bits??

Taking our car to Spain...few tricky bits??

Old Jun 10th 2008, 4:39 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking our car to Spain...few tricky bits??

Originally Posted by John & Kath
OK Rotor you won't retail me one but which is the best (cheapest) country to buy a Fiat Doblo LHD UK, Belgium, Germany or Spain where it would stay long term.
While you're at it how long is a peice of string?

You're going to have to be way more specific than that for anyone worth their while to give you an accurate reply and have you still not bought one yet? You've been asking me the same question for 3 odd years now?

Also it's worth noting that the Doblo is a commerical vehicle in Spain and thus subject to different rules and regulations.

Confused! hope it all pans out for you and you're able to move soon!

Last edited by zel; Jun 10th 2008 at 5:21 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Taking our car to Spain...few tricky bits??

Originally Posted by zel
While you're at it how long is a peice of string?

You're going to have to be way more specific than that for anyone worth their while to give you an accurate reply and have you still not bought one yet? You've been asking me the same question for 3 odd years now?

Also it's worth noting that the Doblo is a commerical vehicle in Spain and thus subject to different rules and regulations.

Confused! hope it all pans out for you and you're able to move soon!
House is coming along! Builder says October Architect thinks January. Don't need LHD till we make the move.
Attached Thumbnails Taking our car to Spain...few tricky bits??-may200813.jpg  
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Would that apply to the "Family"? However if I buy LHD it should not make any difference it can be matriclated, it is only RHD commecials that are banned.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Would that apply to the "Family"? However if I buy LHD it should not make any difference it can be matriclated, it is only RHD commecials that are banned.
I think you need to have owned it for 6 months to get the tax benefit when you import it.
Commercial vehicles have to be ITV`d more regular than cars when due, every year.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:05 pm
zel

JDR beat me to it and I believe the ITV is a little more tough than normal vehicles.

House is looking good but did you employ the worlds most lazy builders to do it? or has it been an on/off project?

Basically any vehicle that has a dual version (ie a commerical or 'family' version is automatically classed as commerical) if you go onto the official Spanish Fiat site the Doblo is in the commerical section and not the normal vehicle section etc.

Last edited by zel; Jun 10th 2008 at 10:11 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

"In my opinion you're in the wrong market place mate, get into economical car parts and you'll make a mint in the not so immediate future."

I already have a car parts shop which I retail from ,the biggest part of our business is mail order covering the whole of Spain as well as tradeing out 4x4s,

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jun 11th 2008, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

OK Rotor you won't retail me one but which is the best (cheapest) country to buy a Fiat Doblo LHD UK, Belgium, Germany or Spain where it would stay long term.
Checkout www.autoscout24.com ,you can see cars from all over europe here from dealers and private sellers, before you buy anthing speak to a gestor about registering it in Spain and find out what paper work the ITV will require, buying just one car is not always worth it when you take into consideration time off work, travel expenses,potential headaches with the ITV/Traffico etc,

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jun 11th 2008, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by zel
JDR beat me to it and I believe the ITV is a little more tough than normal vehicles.

House is looking good but did you employ the worlds most lazy builders to do it? or has it been an on/off project?

Basically any vehicle that has a dual version (ie a commerical or 'family' version is automatically classed as commerical) if you go onto the official Spanish Fiat site the Doblo is in the commerical section and not the normal vehicle section etc.
We would be OK for the ITV have a family mechanic who would sort it every year for his holiday in the sun best I've come across bar one in 50yrs.

No he has actually been very fast judged against other builders I have seen.
Started July 6th 2007 on site did not break for summer last year and has been on site with 3+ every day since. Does not work Sats and Sundays. Only 2 small quality blips so far and they were corrected instantly. Took a long time to find but glad we were patient. He has built 400sq m + pool now got all the externals and roof to lounge, diner kitchen to do and we are almost there.

I have looked on the Fiat es site and wondered were the Doblo was.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Found the Doblo on Fiat es

http://www.fiatprofessional.es/cgi-b...ID=-1073801638

Not as ugly as it used to be which is a disappointment (always wanted to have the worlds uggliest car) but it will do for all I need in Spain.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Not as ugly as it used to be which is a disappointment (always wanted to have the worlds uggliest car) but it will do for all I need in Spain.
Fiat have a knack of making them ugly. look at the Multipla its obscenly pig ugly. They even made a variation of a Peugeot 806 which didnt look half bad for its price over year of design but they made a complete hash of it, looked like something ready to be scrapped
Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:08 am
zel

Urm, That is not Fiat.es that is Fiat Professionals/Commercial site which is linked from Fiat.es as I have previously mentioned.

Yeah the uglyness was a nice touch for me, but I loved the ugly Multipla for the very same reason, completely went off them when they made it less ugly!

Last edited by zel; Jun 11th 2008 at 10:25 am.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:09 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Urm, That is not Fiat.es that is Fiat Professionals/Commercial site which is linked from Fiat.es
He he
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Yeah the uglyness was a nice touch for me, but I loved the ugly Multipla for the very same reason, completely went off them when they made it less ugly!
I remember that there was often a sticker in the back window (I think it was actually from Fiat) that said:- "If you think the back's ugly, wait until you see the front!"

Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:02 pm
zel

Originally Posted by Fred James
I remember that there was often a sticker in the back window (I think it was actually from Fiat) that said:- "If you think the back's ugly, wait until you see the front!"

Hehe yes!! I had a Multipla as our vehicle we would travel to Germany and back in. It even had the fridge option!! Truely brilliant car! I miss its uglyness!

You wouldn't believe the amount of stick I got for owning it tho
Old Jun 12th 2008, 2:40 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Anyway..... We have not heard from them for three pages of thread ...Have they got no chance of bail

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:40 am.