Reload this Page >

Questions about moving to Spain

Questions about moving to Spain

Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

SuzieQFU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about moving to Spain

Hi there,

I'm a dual Canadian/UK citizen who is investigating the possibility of relocating to Spain. I'm a little confused on the requirements, ie. medical card or resident card... If I have a UK passport, do I need a resident card if living in Spain and working? Also, can I not just buy basic medical insurance to satisfy the residency? Anyone know about costs of "basic" emergency medical coverage in Spain?

I know, I know... alot of questions, but I'm out on an island here with nobody to ask.

Lastly, how easy is it for a university educated anglo-speaker to find decent work in Spain?

Any positive comments or advice is welcome.

SuzieQ
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about moving to Spain

I moved this into the Spain forum as you had posted it in our Map thread.
Have a look in the Free Beer thread as there are lots of links to sites that will help you.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SuzieQFU
Hi there,

I'm a dual Canadian/UK citizen who is investigating the possibility of relocating to Spain. I'm a little confused on the requirements, ie. medical card or resident card... If I have a UK passport, do I need a resident card if living in Spain and working? Also, can I not just buy basic medical insurance to satisfy the residency? Anyone know about costs of "basic" emergency medical coverage in Spain?

I know, I know... alot of questions, but I'm out on an island here with nobody to ask.

Lastly, how easy is it for a university educated anglo-speaker to find decent work in Spain?

SuzieQ
Your UK citizenship will allow you to live in Spain,you will just need the paper replacement for the Residence card (whatever its called,have cpmpletely forgotton now!),and an NIE number.
Social security which covers healthcare,pension etc is about eur 230-250 per mth.
Workwise,depends on how good your Spanish is,(and how low you can go).Best to find a niche and become self employed
Old Jun 7th 2008, 3:29 am
Just Joined

Dibble is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Suzy

Yes there is a very good factual links to info on this site.

Also check out your Embassy here and in Canada, they will have, hopefully, section on advice for their citizens moving abroad.

There are also many books about moving to Spain in general and loads of websites, mine included, who offer info moving to specific areas of Spain.

Best advice.....Read everything!
Old Jun 7th 2008, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

There wouldn't actually be any need to ask the Canadian Embassy about moving to Spain,if your a UK citizen as well,as by being a UK citizen,you are also by extension an EU citizen ,and as such would have the same residency rights as any other EU citizen
All this approach would do is create more confusion
Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lcortez
Your UK citizenship will allow you to live in Spain,you will just need the paper replacement for the Residence card (whatever its called,have cpmpletely forgotton now!),and an NIE number.
Social security which covers healthcare,pension etc is about eur 230-250 per mth.
I'm in the same position as Suzie. I've lived in the UK for over 20 yrs before I immigrate to Canada. The Home office said that I'm still a British citizen & I'll be applying for a British passport & intend to immigrate to Spain as an EU resident.

What do you mean by this "Social security which covers healthcare,pension etc is about eur 230-250 per mth"?

What is this social security? Will I qualify for the free health care system in Spain or do I need private cover? I won't be looking for a job in Spain.

Thanks.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
I'm in the same position as Suzie. I've lived in the UK for over 20 yrs before I immigrate to Canada. The Home office said that I'm still a British citizen & I'll be applying for a British passport & intend to immigrate to Spain as an EU resident.

What do you mean by this "Social security which covers healthcare,pension etc is about eur 230-250 per mth"?

What is this social security? Will I qualify for the free health care system in Spain or do I need private cover? I won't be looking for a job in Spain.

Thanks.
Tly fig qouted was in relaton to self employment,however if your employed by someone else,obviously the relevent fog will be deducted from your wages
If your not working at all,and are of working age you will either have to pay into the system or go private
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:35 am
Just Joined

shar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Suzie

This link may help but be careful not all parts of Spain are the same some areas cover and some dont and thats at the moment this could all change as things often do here

http://www.livespainforlife.com/Livi...B/Default.aspx

Also this Spanish website may clear a few things up but its only Valencia

http://www.residenteseuropeos.com/index_en.php

Good luck
Shar
Old Jun 10th 2008, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Questions about moving to Spain

Originally Posted by SuzieQFU
Hi there,

I'm a dual Canadian/UK citizen who is investigating the possibility of relocating to Spain. I'm a little confused on the requirements, ie. medical card or resident card(1)... If I have a UK passport, do I need a resident card if living in Spain and working (1A) ? Also, can I not just buy basic medical insurance to satisfy the residency(1A) ? Anyone know about costs of "basic" emergency medical coverage in Spain (2) ?

Lastly, how easy is it for a university educated anglo-speaker to find decent work in Spain (3) ?

SuzieQ
Welcome SuzieQFU

(1) An established place of residence is required before you can be here officially
(1A) You certainly need a resident card to be in work - just medical insurance is not good enough - it´s good to have a resident card if you want access to medical care anyway.
(2) If you are in the UK, there is a new regulation just started, concerning coverage in Spain! You must obtain special documentation (or a card?) from the UK.
(3) You´ll get on better with the boss anyway if you get a smattering of Spanish before the interview (you appear to be aiming fairly high?).

You will get a buffalo - ful of responses, now.

Cheers.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:27 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz
Welcome SuzieQFU

(1) An established place of residence is required before you can be here officially
(1A) You certainly need a resident card to be in work - just medical insurance is not good enough - it´s good to have a resident card if you want access to medical care anyway.
(2) If you are in the UK, there is a new regulation just started, concerning coverage in Spain! You must obtain special documentation (or a card?) from the UK.
(3) You´ll get on better with the boss anyway if you get a smattering of Spanish before the interview (you appear to be aiming fairly high?).

You will get a buffalo - ful of responses, now.

Cheers.
I think this refers to the EHIC which came in two years ago. It's a must for emergency treatment, after that you have to go back to UK for continued treatment. Or, of course, join the Spanish system in some way.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: Questions about moving to Spain

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I think this refers to the EHIC which came in two years ago. It's a must for emergency treatment, after that you have to go back to UK for continued treatment. Or, of course, join the Spanish system in some way.
Hi snikpoh!

You probably are right about the actual point at issue - it must be that I read in the "SiE", Malaga, just recently that the date has arrived now, when it is essential to obtain the wherewithal to have free treatment in the UK after being resident in Spain - without it you are liable to medical charges in the UK (Does´nt sound much like a European Union Benefit) :curse: !.

Cheers.