Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Taking our car to Spain...few tricky bits??

Taking our car to Spain...few tricky bits??

Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

MichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to all
Unhappy Taking our car to Spain...few tricky bits??

I know this topic has been covered many a time - but i have a bit of a sticky situ, and wondered what peoples views were!

My hubby and i both have cars on hp, i gave my car back today pretty easy - only had to pay out a couple of hundred quid, and walked away.

My hubby still has his car - a vauxhall corsa 1.3 diesel - and it has NOT held its value. He has only had it for a year ( or a bit less maybe ) and he needs to settle finance agreement at a cost of £9,500....his car is only worth £6,000 and obviously we would need to find the diff to hand back the car ! selling it privately is not an option as we are leaving the uk next week!

Basically i wondered if for £3,500 it would be worth keeping it, and bringing it to Spain with us?

Questions are:-
1. How much does it cost to have it shipped over?
2. What things needs doing to the car to make is legally drivable in Spain?
3. would our current car insurance co still insure us if we were to live in spain with the car?

Basically i am trying to work out whether we would be financially better off to pay the diff reluctantly to the car finance co, or to go through the hassles of bringing it to Spain, as i have no idea of the average costs involved in doing so!

Sorry to waffle - but i am all in a tizz wazz
Old Jun 5th 2008, 3:26 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking our car to Spain...few tricky bits??

Originally Posted by MichaelandDawn
I know this topic has been covered many a time - but i have a bit of a sticky situ, and wondered what peoples views were!

My hubby and i both have cars on hp, i gave my car back today pretty easy - only had to pay out a couple of hundred quid, and walked away.

My hubby still has his car - a vauxhall corsa 1.3 diesel - and it has NOT held its value. He has only had it for a year ( or a bit less maybe ) and he needs to settle finance agreement at a cost of £9,500....his car is only worth £6,000 and obviously we would need to find the diff to hand back the car ! selling it privately is not an option as we are leaving the uk next week!

Basically i wondered if for £3,500 it would be worth keeping it, and bringing it to Spain with us?

Questions are:-
1. How much does it cost to have it shipped over?
2. What things needs doing to the car to make is legally drivable in Spain?
3. would our current car insurance co still insure us if we were to live in spain with the car?

Basically i am trying to work out whether we would be financially better off to pay the diff reluctantly to the car finance co, or to go through the hassles of bringing it to Spain, as i have no idea of the average costs involved in doing so!

Sorry to waffle - but i am all in a tizz wazz
Ello

Well, we bought a car over with us, and I know of people who have also done so to soften the financial blow in much the same way you are thinking.

We matriculated ours almost immediately we got here so it was fairly easy, but of course yours being subject to finance I'm guessing it might be a little more difficult, insomuch have you checked your finance contract about residency and moving the asset abroad?

You'll need to change the headlights for sure I would have thought. You'd need to matriculate it which costs between €600 & €900, but as I asy from the finance co point of view I'm not sure if they would be happy if you told them.

Your UK car insurance is normally only available for foreign driving when on holiday for a set period of time. If you are resident here you may find that it is no longer valid, so you'd need Spanish insurance
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:07 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

The finance company would have a fit if you removed what in effect is their property out of their jurisdiction from the UK to Spain. I say that without reading the contract. With regards using the car in Spain due to its age in taxes and work on headlights etc would be one financial headache and then it is right hand drive. I know it breaks your heart when these contract financial deals end and they offer you a stupid residual value but unless they guarantee you a certain amount providing you have stuck to the mileage and its been maintained as per the contract they have you by the S and C I wish you luck. Read you contract there may be a way out. To keep the car legal on the road in spain you would need Spanish insurance and when you submit your logbook they would see that the car belongs to a UK finance company. If hubby's name is shown they still sometimes run a check and I think you will find the owner is shown as the finance company albeit your hubby could be shown as Keeper.

Last edited by poshnbucks; Jun 5th 2008 at 4:11 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:12 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Who's name is the v5/log book in? Your husbands or the finance company?

1> Shipping over £1000 (best to drive it)
2> Modifications needed before getting Spanish registration £300ish
3> Registration £600 if you get a gestor to do it.
4> Current insurance co will 99% of the time only cover you for a very limited period of time.

What you would be doing is most likely be illegal as in the small print of the terms and conditions of the finance agreement it will have a clause. If it doesn't I would be extremely surprised.

I work in the trade and you wouldn't believe how popular it is to 'do a runner' with a car that has uk finance on it to other EU memberstates and you wouldn't believe the amount of people who get caught doing it!

We were buying a UK Plated ferrari that was in Portugal but for a client in the UK. It was for sale at a Portugese dealer which of course had no idea what a HPI check was. We did one on the vehicle and it came up with outstanding finance so contacted the owner (the fiance company) to see if the finance had been recently settled and hadn't updated on HPI.

It hadn't the owner did a runner which the car, Long story short by law we have to tell them where we found the car. Did so and the lady said "don't worry it happens all the time we have a team especially for it that track the owners down, no matter what country they run off to"

It's not a wise thing to do, even if you are going to continue paying the finance. But you pays your money you takes your chances as they say.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:21 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

It hadn't the owner did a runner which the car, Long story short by law we have to tell them where we found the car. Did so and the lady said "don't worry it happens all the time we have a team especially for it that track the owners down, no matter what country they run off to"

It's not a wise thing to do, even if you are going to continue paying the finance. But you pays your money you takes your chances as they say.[/QUOTE]

Zel is right That is also true of boats which have been RELOCATED it may take a few years but they will find you The people these finance company's employ are very good at what they do. don't listen to the bloke in the pub listen to people like Zel who know what they are talking about. Start your new life with a clean sheet.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least this is a car thread with a difference. ;-))
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:09 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Who's name is the v5/log book in? Your husbands or the finance company?

1> Shipping over £1000 (best to drive it)
2> Modifications needed before getting Spanish registration £300ish
3> Registration £600 if you get a gestor to do it.
4> Current insurance co will 99% of the time only cover you for a very limited period of time.
I'm not sure that this registration cost is correct. Don't forget that there would be NO 'tax' to pay if it is imported within 30 days of you getting your padron.

Our costs were;

ITV 87.00 €
Road Tax 107.91 €
Inspection 100.00 €
Headlights 250.00 €
Number Plates 22.00 €

A total of about 500 euro (about £400) for EVERYTHING.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:57 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I'm not sure that this registration cost is correct. Don't forget that there would be NO 'tax' to pay if it is imported within 30 days of you getting your padron.

Our costs were;

ITV 87.00 €
Road Tax 107.91 €
Inspection 100.00 €
Headlights 250.00 €
Number Plates 22.00 €

Generally the figures quoted are €600 - €900 euros for a car that has been owned for 6 months. I actually paid about €1200 cos I was stupid and didn't do it within the required period of getting residence here
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:37 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh

Our costs were;

ITV 87.00 €
Road Tax 107.91 €
Inspection 100.00 €
Headlights 250.00 €
Number Plates 22.00 €

And what about Gestor fees?

Also my mistake I meant to put a € instead of £ for registration.

Also headlights costing are specific to the car I quoted the correct UK pricing for that car taking into account it probably does not have xenons.

Then you also have the cost of a C.O.C document so the 'inspection' has something to work from. That is £120 if you order it from the UK side for that vehicle.

And as the OP made no specific timeframe of ownership just saying less than a year then there MAY be tax payable.

Even if they were not liable for the tax then in the vast majority of the cases they would still have to goto the British consulate for a Baja Consular at the cost of €150-175 for the tax department to agree to a no tax registration.

Last edited by zel; Jun 6th 2008 at 9:42 am.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Did the OP not say they were going to pay off the balance of the finance, not just bring it over still on the finance ?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

We swallowed hard and paid the £3000 and gave the car back and bought out here. That way at least you come out with no debts and start totally afresh.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

vamos_mi_sevilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SueG
We swallowed hard and paid the £3000 and gave the car back and bought out here. That way at least you come out with no debts and start totally afresh.
You can start a fresh and leave your debts behind too, all depends on your personal morals !
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vamos_mi_sevilla
You can start a fresh and leave your debts behind too, all depends on your personal morals !
I don`t think so, maybe delay them for a while.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Better to sell in the UK and buy another here, much less hassel ,plus your RHD car on Spanish plates is bad news, you will struggle to sell it or p/ex it in the future.

Regular cars are not that different in price in Spain but good 4x4s seem to fetch a premium due to short supply......I know I sell them!!

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:13 pm
Banned

Canon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rotor
Regular cars are not that different in price in Spain but good 4x4s seem to fetch a premium due to short supply......I know I sell them!!

Rgds

Rotor

Strange that Rotor, just the other day I was browsing a used car lot with a choice of about 40 or so 4x4s and they had been there some time. Is it because you sell them that you consider they are in short supply?

If anyone can, Canon can !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.