Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Taking our car to Spain...few tricky bits??

Taking our car to Spain...few tricky bits??

Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking our car to Spain...few tricky bits??

Originally Posted by Canon
Strange that Rotor, just the other day I was browsing a used car lot with a choice of about 40 or so 4x4s and they had been there some time. Is it because you sell them that you consider they are in short supply?

If anyone can, Canon can !

Short supply at a resonable price and in reasonble condition.....this is why around 80% of used 4x4s in Spain are imported from Germany and a few other european LHD countries, no one would be doing this if there was not a short supply!!......The UK is full to the brim of Japanese import 4x4s, mainly pajeros, hence their value is less than half what it is in Spain, ie a 97, 2.8 3 door LHD Pajero will fetch upto €9500 in Spain but only around €4000 in the UK for a RHD one, thats why you see so many UK 4x4s illegally on UK plates over here,

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vamos_mi_sevilla
You can start a fresh and leave your debts behind too, all depends on your personal morals !
They catch up with you sooner or later - I prefer to be a little poorer out here than a criminal
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

vamos_mi_sevilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SueG
They catch up with you sooner or later - I prefer to be a little poorer out here than a criminal
Thats down to you and if you let them - and its not a criminal offence either, its a civil matter.

You can legally leave the UK start a fresh in Spain, then you can come back to the UK and start a new credit file again. Ive done it on more than one occasion.

Each to there own, but I prefer to have a credit line in place at any time regardless of my previous good / bad character.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:12 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vamos_mi_sevilla
Thats down to you and if you let them - and its not a criminal offence either, its a civil matter.

You can legally leave the UK start a fresh in Spain, then you can come back to the UK and start a new credit file again. Ive done it on more than one occasion.

Each to there own, but I prefer to have a credit line in place at any time regardless of my previous good / bad character.
If it's secured finance i.e. fixed to the vehicle (let's try and stay on topic here) then it is a criminal offence if you take it to Spain and/or stop payments.

Fraud, Theft... You're talking out of your backside mate.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:19 pm
zel

Originally Posted by Canon
Strange that Rotor, just the other day I was browsing a used car lot with a choice of about 40 or so 4x4s and they had been there some time. Is it because you sell them that you consider they are in short supply?

If anyone can, Canon can !
I'm afriad I think you're right!

Tho he does have a point with the uk vs european prices.

As a trade only volume importer I can safely say there is no 'shortage' of such vehicles in Spain, in fact the complete opposite the market is COMPLETELY flooded with them and most of which are (as mentioned) EU imports.

How do I know? We exported about 300 of them in the past 5 years to Spain & Portugal which then sold to the trade and they flog them to end users and we don't do it anymore because as I mentioned the market is absolutely flooded. Infact the market is so flooded that the Spanish dealerships are exporting them out to Slovakia to try and make some money out of them!

Don't worry Rotor will soon learn there is no money to be made from expat forums! Like I did back in 2003
Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
If it's secured finance i.e. fixed to the vehicle (let's try and stay on topic here) then it is a criminal offence if you take it to Spain and/or stop payments.

Sure, it`s fraud and a jail offence.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:24 pm
zel

Originally Posted by jdr
Sure, it`s fraud and a jail offence.
Yep! and I personally wouldn't want to be dancing between Marios legs in a cell in Spain for the sake for £3000!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Yep! and I personally wouldn't want to be dancing between Marios legs in a cell in Spain for the sake for £3000!
Sometimes you get day release to pick melons in the hot sun. ;-))
Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:37 pm
zel

Originally Posted by jdr
Sometimes you get day release to pick melons in the hot sun. ;-))
As a positive that is.... the fact of having to dance between Marios legs still puts me off the prospect
Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel

Thank you
Old Jun 6th 2008, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

vamos_mi_sevilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SueG
Thank you
I was talking unsecured finance which is a civil matter not a criminal one. I never once mentioned taking a car to Spain, I said you will start a fresh in Spain, as you can anywhere except the USA (that I know of)

However I take your point based on the OP's Question.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:35 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Well at least this is a car thread with a difference. ;-))
what's the betting it ends up the same as the rest?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
I'm afriad I think you're right!

Tho he does have a point with the uk vs european prices.

As a trade only volume importer I can safely say there is no 'shortage' of such vehicles in Spain, in fact the complete opposite the market is COMPLETELY flooded with them and most of which are (as mentioned) EU imports.

How do I know? We exported about 300 of them in the past 5 years to Spain & Portugal which then sold to the trade and they flog them to end users and we don't do it anymore because as I mentioned the market is absolutely flooded. Infact the market is so flooded that the Spanish dealerships are exporting them out to Slovakia to try and make some money out of them!

Don't worry Rotor will soon learn there is no money to be made from expat forums! Like I did back in 2003
Hey, Ive no interest in trying to sell here else I`d place a link with my posts, majority of expats are full of false promises when dealing with them!,I to deal with the trade,If Spain is flooded then why arnt dealers blowing stuff out cheap? 4x4 prices here are still loads higher than Italy and Germany, I think its just the whole european economy is flat, no ones selling much anywhere. Loosly contected to this subject,JCB diggers sales were down 58% in Spain this last quarter.

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jun 10th 2008, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Taking our car to Spain...few tricky bits??

Originally Posted by Rotor
Hey, Ive no interest in trying to sell here else I`d place a link with my posts, majority of expats are full of false promises when dealing with them!,I to deal with the trade,If Spain is flooded then why arnt dealers blowing stuff out cheap? 4x4 prices here are still loads higher than Italy and Germany, I think its just the whole european economy is flat, no ones selling much anywhere. Loosly contected to this subject,JCB diggers sales were down 58% in Spain this last quarter.

Rgds

Rotor
OK Rotor you won't retail me one but which is the best (cheapest) country to buy a Fiat Doblo LHD UK, Belgium, Germany or Spain where it would stay long term.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 4:32 pm
zel

Originally Posted by Rotor

Rgds

Rotor
Simple really because of the glorious thing that is the EU we all have much wider range of trading partners and when prices drop in one market they just get punted around to another market as why reduce prices when you can just put them on a transporter and move them to a different country?

Doesn't matter if you sell cars or matchsticks you can't make any decent living in a flooded market that's simple economics.

And it's only getting worse and worse as worldwide sales of 4x4 or SUV's have fallen drastically in recent months and things like Mini's have shot up, due to the present credit crunch and fuel prices. We've just turned down 40 new ML's for 25% off list price as we know we couldn't move them, big bulky high co2 level vehicles have had their time, especially since the rumor is Spain will be adopting a co2 based car tax by 2010.

In my opinion you're in the wrong market place mate, get into economical car parts and you'll make a mint in the not so immediate future.

I'm not trying to be arsey with ya, I'm just trying to help as I know how hard it is for expats to make a living in Spain so try and help out as much as possible.

Last edited by zel; Jun 10th 2008 at 4:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.