British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   SWINE FLU HITS SPAIN. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/swine-flu-hits-spain-606517/)

livit Jun 2nd 2009 9:07 pm

Re: SWINE FLU HITS SPAIN.

If i was a troll mitzy would ban me, since I`m here then I`m not.:rolleyes:

Here is a quote from the link.

The content of a troll posting generally falls into one of several categories. It may consist of an apparently foolish contradiction of common knowledge, a deliberately offensive insult to the readers of a newsgroup or mailing list, or a broad request for trivial follow-up postings. The result of such postings is frequently a flood of angry responses.

Now since

A) I`m not posting foolish contradiction of common knowledge.:rolleyes:

Some posters are simply stating that i`m wrong, but i could argue that certain members reasons could be deemed a foolish contridiction of common knowledge in there response reasons to the threat of Swine Flu.

B) I haven`t insulted anybody or been offensive to anyone.

Although I`ve been told certain things, had FFS which could be deemed offensive, if not it would not have been shortened.:sneaky:

C) Haven`t requested any trivial follow up.

Members here seem to not realise that other people can view this thread.

If anybody googles Swine Flu in Spain, this site can come up on the list, those people are searching for information.

Not FFS responses, playing Troll games and frankly being a pain in the rear end.

If its boring, simple read something more interesting to you.

Swine Flu is still an issue around the world.

I never stated it will kill the world, wipe out humanity.

I`m just interested in the subject.:o

So can we please discuss the OP.:fingerscrossed:

livit Jun 2nd 2009 9:42 pm

Here is a quote from the WHO.

"Geneva, 22 May (AKI) - The World Health Organization has warned there will be more deaths from swine flu as the virus is expected to mutate during the southern hemisphere's winter season. WHO chief, Margaret Chan, warned on Friday that the virus was "very contagious" and predicted more serious infections.

"We need to watch the behaviour of H1N1 very carefully as it encounters other influenza viruses circulating during the winter season in the southern hemisphere," Chan said at the 62nd World Health Assembly in the Swiss city of Geneva".

The Southern Hemisphere has oftern been overlooked in the past, but reasearch last year (08) found that most forms of influenza found in the Northern Hemisphere originated and mutated in the South.

Up until then most scientist believed influenza was influenced by the temerate north.

The research found that the interesting stuff happens in these tropical reservoirs, with the temperate epidemics in the Northern hemisphere and the mutations in the Southern Hemisphere.

Which could lead to

"Many tropical countries do not have the resources to deal with an outbreak. "This inevitably means that when this highly transmissible virus arrives in a densely populated country with more limited resources, it will spread rapidly and many, many thousands of people will be infected," says Jeremy Farrar, director of the Oxford University Clinical Research Unit in Vietnam".

Add global travel to a virus which incubates for around 1-2 weeks after initial contact, then you have a global spread far quicker than anything seen previously.

Most of the Swine Flu cases the incubation period has been a week after arriving back in the country.

Why would this effect Spain.

Well Spain has a large immigrant population from the Southern Hemisphere and is one of Europes largest transit points.

Spain and the EU is in a crisis, these reports spell it out.

"The World Bank in 2005 put the global cost of a worldwide pandemic at $800 billion, while the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Protection in 1999 put the domestic cost at about 1.5 percent of G.D.P".

If a country weakened by the economic crisis were to be hit particularly hard, it could damage that government’s ability to sell debt. It could also drive its currency lower.

The Spanish Flu pandemic killed an estimated 10-20% of those infected.

So many died because the flu spread rapidly, caused a deadly secondary infection and was misdiagnosed as Cholera or Typhoid.

Another unusual feature of this pandemic was that it mostly killed young adults, with 99% of pandemic influenza deaths occurring in people under 65, and more than half in young adults 20 to 40 years old.

Now Swine Flu.

The H1N1 form of swine flu is one of the descendants of the strain that caused the 1918 flu pandemic.

The 1918 flu pandemic in humans was associated with H1N1 and influenza appearing in pigs, this may reflect a zoonosis either from swine to humans, or from humans to swine. Although it is not certain in which direction the virus was transferred, some evidence suggests that, in this case, pigs caught the disease from humans.

Swine Flu has shown an increased percentage of patients reporting diarrhea and vomiting, with patients also being mis diagnosed.

So we have a new strain related to the 1918 Pandemic, that spreads rapidly around the world,affected mid aged people, the WHO have difficulty (at this time) producing a vaccine and the outbreak is gaining speed in Southern Hemisphere`s, which has been found to be the breeding ground for viruses to mutate.

All good then.:thumbsup:

Mitzyboy Jun 2nd 2009 10:18 pm

Yes, lets just be cool :thumbup:
If you're not interested in the subject please ..... just dont post

Many thanks to all

livit Jun 3rd 2009 5:49 am

Well today is front page news on the Spanish Swine Flu situation.

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20090603...s/279557.shtml

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20090603...o/279567.shtml

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20090603...s/279528.shtml

This one informs that businesses in Spain have been informed to prepare for a Flu Pandemic.

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20090603...e/279527.shtml

Of course all from the media.

livit Jun 3rd 2009 8:29 pm

The WHO stated this on Tuesday.

GENEVA (Reuters) - The spread of H1N1 flu in Australia, Britain, Chile, Japan and Spain has moved the world closer to the top pandemic alert, the World Health Organisation said on Tuesday.
"We are at Phase 5 but are getting closer to Phase 6," Keiji Fukuda, acting WHO assistant director-general, told journalists during a telephone conference.

This comes as the UK today reports its first critical patient, shortly after that confirmation another three patients have become critical.

One of the patients is a nurse who was treating the patient.

The 26-year-old who works at the Southern Royal General Hospital in Glasgow had treated a 38-year-old woman who remained critically ill after contracting the virus. Four victims are now in intensive care. Thirteen more cases were confirmed at Birmingham's Welford Primary School, where 96 pupils have been diagnosed with the virus. Two cases have been reported at Eton College, taking its total to six.

The WHO may raise the level to 6 in the next few days.

livit Jun 10th 2009 9:17 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I`m not bumping the thread Mitzy, others seem to have ceased the disscussion.:rolleyes:

But it is growing in intesity.

The UN has called an emergency meeting in the last hour with Health officials prior to the WHO raising the level to 6.

This comes as an increase in cases in both Northern and Southern Hemispheres has reached community spread level.

Australia has seen an increase in both mild cases and life threateneing cases.Australia's confirmation of more than 1,200 cases - a four-fold increase in a week.

UK officials believe that in the UK the actual number of cases could be far higher and state this could be due to the mild syptoms.

Although raising the level to Pandemic does not mean the flu has become deadly.

The last global flu pandemic came in 1968 over the Hong Kong flu.

That pandemic killed about one million people.

Below is the last 4 Pandemics and there mortality rates.As you can see these are all Northern Hemisphere and all in Flu season.

What we have in 2009, is outside of these, following some similarities, but far more aggresive spread.You can notice that in three of the four pandemics depicted in the chart, half or more of the mortality occurred outside "flu season"

Figure caption: Proportion of the total influenza-associated mortality burden in each wave for each of four previous pandemics is shown above the blue bars. Mortality waves indicate the timing of the deaths during each pandemic. The 1918 pandemic (Panel B) had a mild first wave during the summer, followed by two severe waves the following winter. The 1957 pandemic (Panel C) had three winter waves during the first 5 years. The 1968 pandemic (Panel D) had a mild first wave in Britain, followed by a severe second wave the following winter. The shaded columns indicate normal seasonal patterns of influenza.

Fred James Jun 11th 2009 4:54 am

Originally Posted by livit (Post 7654889)
I`m not bumping the thread Mitzy, others seem to have ceased the disscussion

Good Lord - I wonder why?

Hondon Rock n Roll Jun 11th 2009 5:33 am

Originally Posted by livit (Post 7654889)
I`m not bumping the thread Mitzy, others seem to have ceased the disscussion.:rolleyes:
But it is growing in intesity.

The UN has called an emergency meeting in the last hour with Health officials prior to the WHO raising the level to 6.

This comes as an increase in cases in both Northern and Southern Hemispheres has reached community spread level.

Australia has seen an increase in both mild cases and life threateneing cases.Australia's confirmation of more than 1,200 cases - a four-fold increase in a week.

UK officials believe that in the UK the actual number of cases could be far higher and state this could be due to the mild syptoms.

Although raising the level to Pandemic does not mean the flu has become deadly.

The last global flu pandemic came in 1968 over the Hong Kong flu.

That pandemic killed about one million people.

Below is the last 4 Pandemics and there mortality rates.As you can see these are all Northern Hemisphere and all in Flu season.

What we have in 2009, is outside of these, following some similarities, but far more aggresive spread.You can notice that in three of the four pandemics depicted in the chart, half or more of the mortality occurred outside "flu season"

Figure caption: Proportion of the total influenza-associated mortality burden in each wave for each of four previous pandemics is shown above the blue bars. Mortality waves indicate the timing of the deaths during each pandemic. The 1918 pandemic (Panel B) had a mild first wave during the summer, followed by two severe waves the following winter. The 1957 pandemic (Panel C) had three winter waves during the first 5 years. The 1968 pandemic (Panel D) had a mild first wave in Britain, followed by a severe second wave the following winter. The shaded columns indicate normal seasonal patterns of influenza.

Knew as soon as I heard it mentioned on Sky News this morning the WHO were going to declare a swine flu pandemic "livit" would bring it all back to life again.:rofl:

livit Jun 11th 2009 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 7656615)
Good Lord - I wonder why?

Hmmmm.

Isn`t it obvious.:rofl:

I`d have still posted even you guys were right.:rolleyes:

An increase in cases worldwide, global financial crisis, level increased to Pandemic level.

Still no need to worry, the last H1N1 Pandemic only killed 90% of the people who caught it.

dunmovin Jun 12th 2009 11:13 am

okay it's a serious flu and has claimed lives... but as someone who lived through the SARS crisis in Hong Kong, I found during that crisis, it was unhelpful, the constant media hype about a possible pandemic. It sent expats scurrying back to their own countries to avoid the illness, which in my own opinion, was intensely stupid :frown: Some sent their children home ,but stayed themselves which was just as stupid:thumbdown: Children were just as likely to be contanimated
Quite a few people asked me why I was not leaving and my answer was that I would not put at risk friends and family back home, and will do the same again if this it comes to it.
Even after the crisis was over I seen what happened to people who had caught the virus and survived: even family shunned them,many lost their jobs, as people would not work with them. A personal friend who lived in one the housing estates where the outbreak was most intense (Amoy Gardens in Kowloon Bay)SPENT 11 WEEKS IN A QUARRANTINE CAMP!

So let's get this straight...it's a flu that jumped the species barrier, so was h5n1 but that came to nothing.

fionamw Jun 12th 2009 6:33 pm

I think it's worth talking about not least because we can't allow appalling blinkered attitudes such as those displayed among the 'authorities' around the site of that pig battery farm in Mexico to remain 'unfinished business'.
There's every likelihood that despite the many deaths this will prove to be a relative blip in the history of mankind, however it was almost engineered by the big bucks farmers acting just like that - big bucks farmers. No social responsibility, little responsibility demonstrated at all.
Keep talking about that, if not the fear of Swine Flu itself.

livit Jun 13th 2009 4:01 am

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 7660738)
, however it was almost engineered by the big bucks farmers acting just like that - big bucks farmers. No social responsibility, little responsibility demonstrated at all.
Keep talking about that, if not the fear of Swine Flu itself.

Well Swine Flu and Bird Flu both passed to humans in poverty striken farms, that poor management and lack of hygine being the main factures.

Although there is something not right with the info about Swine Flu.

I point towards Swine Flu being classed as H1N1, yet Spanish flu in 1918 was also H1N1 so was “Russian flu” H1N1 Most of the viruses are classed as H1N1 sub types.

H1N1 hasn`t been a problem since 1977 which was the Russian Flu.

Yet when you read about H1N1 its endemic in Pigs.

H1N1 and H3N2 swine flu viruses are endemic among pig populations in the United States and something that the industry deals with routinely. Outbreaks among pigs normally occur in colder weather months (late fall and winter) and sometimes with the introduction of new pigs into susceptible herds. Studies have shown that the swine flu H1N1 is common throughout pig populations worldwide, with 25 percent of animals showing antibody evidence of infection. In the U.S. studies have shown that 30 percent of the pig population has antibody evidence of having had H1N1 infection. More specifically, 51 percent of pigs in the north-central U.S. have been shown to have antibody evidence of infection with swine H1N1. Human infections with swine flu H1N1 viruses are rare. There is currently no way to differentiate antibody produced in response to flu vaccination in pigs from antibody made in response to pig infections with swine H1N1 influenza.

I`m no expert, but surely if H1N1 which has killed many and is endemic in the world pig population.

Shouldn`t something have been done sooner.;)

bil Jun 13th 2009 6:56 am

To be honest, I don't see poverty being the problem, tho I agree it increases the risk, just by how much is the question.

The huge problem is our demand for cheap meat. Animals are forced to live cheek by jowl with each other and with their keepers. The animals are stressed to blazes, and often dosed with low levels of antibiotics. That is almost the ideal condition for viruses to jump the species barrier.

This is as said the first wave, and so far it's mild. All we must hope for is that it doesn't get to rub shoulders with some other strain and trade genes enough to come out looking like Mike Tyson on steroids.

fionamw Jun 13th 2009 7:03 am

Originally Posted by bil (Post 7661838)
To be honest, I don't see poverty being the problem, tho I agree it increases the risk, just by how much is the question.

The huge problem is our demand for cheap meat. Animals are forced to live cheek by jowl with each other and with their keepers. The animals are stresse.

Hence my reference to big bucks farmers - it was my understanding the farm in Mexico was run by a big company with their hands in the local council's pocket (or maybe vice versa) which meant no-one listened to the villagers' complaints about flies, smell, etc., emanating from the ghastly pit of carcases (to name but one example)......

dunmovin Jun 13th 2009 10:20 am

Originally Posted by livit (Post 7661619)
Well Swine Flu and Bird Flu both passed to humans in poverty striken farms, that poor management and lack of hygine being the main factures.

Although there is something not right with the info about Swine Flu.

I point towards Swine Flu being classed as H1N1, yet Spanish flu in 1918 was also H1N1 so was “Russian flu” H1N1 Most of the viruses are classed as H1N1 sub types.

H1N1 hasn`t been a problem since 1977 which was the Russian Flu.

Yet when you read about H1N1 its endemic in Pigs.

H1N1 and H3N2 swine flu viruses are endemic among pig populations in the United States and something that the industry deals with routinely. Outbreaks among pigs normally occur in colder weather months (late fall and winter) and sometimes with the introduction of new pigs into susceptible herds. Studies have shown that the swine flu H1N1 is common throughout pig populations worldwide, with 25 percent of animals showing antibody evidence of infection. In the U.S. studies have shown that 30 percent of the pig population has antibody evidence of having had H1N1 infection. More specifically, 51 percent of pigs in the north-central U.S. have been shown to have antibody evidence of infection with swine H1N1. Human infections with swine flu H1N1 viruses are rare. There is currently no way to differentiate antibody produced in response to flu vaccination in pigs from antibody made in response to pig infections with swine H1N1 influenza.

I`m no expert, but surely if H1N1 which has killed many and is endemic in the world pig population.

Shouldn`t something have been done sooner.;)

livit: what exactly are you getting at with this? Swine flu may be infectious and has been declared a pandemic, but let's get real.... it's not ebola or lassa fever or dengue fever, nor is it the super strain of tubercolisis or the re-introduction of the bubonic plague or even smallpox. It's a flu virus which will pass over most of us without lasting harm! 90 odd percent of us will never get it or will be so midly affected by it we don't notice we had it.Of course some people died from this virus, but how many people die each day from cholrea, dysentry, salmonella, botulism,malayria, dengue fever.
Fiona has a point that big business has to answer for this. Careless hygene started this, but sensationalist media hype has over blown the crisis, and your type of "distribution of the facts" is just adding fuel to the fire.Have you, anywhere, in your revaltion of facts sourced how many people caught this illness and recovered? Have you any details of people who caught the virus and barely noticed? Do you know how many survived the 1918 outbreak and lived long lives?

I can only ask you if you can stop spreading "doom &gloom" and focus more on the survivors.

To Fiona: lets fix it 1st ... then we can go after those to blame

in memory of Agnes Li Chan (1959- 2005) who's heart was broken after she survived Sars and still treated like a leporisy victim, lost her friend and family and died alone. She was and always will be a friend