British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   SWINE FLU HITS SPAIN. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/swine-flu-hits-spain-606517/)

bigglesworth May 8th 2009 3:19 am

Re: SWINE FLU HITS SPAIN.

"Second, H5N1 has conditioned the public to equate an influenza pandemic with very severe disease and high mortality. Such a disease pattern is by no means inevitable during a pandemic. On the contrary, it is exceptional"

Margaret Chan DG of WHO

Whole speech is here
http://www.who.int/dg/speeches/2009/.../en/index.html

bil May 8th 2009 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by livit (Post 7552876)
There probably ill informed and feel doin something is better than nothing.

Masks can be effective if used correctly, but on a plane, probably not.

Masks make you feel good, but are as was pointed out of less real use than t*ts on a bull, ashtray on a motorbike, pick your favourite idiom.

It's like trying to stop dust using a mask made out of 1/4 inch wire mesh.

livit May 9th 2009 3:29 am

Originally Posted by bigglesworth (Post 7553154)
"Second, H5N1 has conditioned the public to equate an influenza pandemic with very severe disease and high mortality. Such a disease pattern is by no means inevitable during a pandemic. On the contrary, it is exceptional"

Margaret Chan DG of WHO

Whole speech is here
http://www.who.int/dg/speeches/2009/.../en/index.html

The current outbreak is H1N1.H5N1 is the bird flu virus.The link you provided proves that the WHO has done a good job.

I include the following quote from the link,

"As we know today, the virus with the greatest pandemic potential, the H1N1 virus, has sprung up from another source, on another side of the world".

If you look at the history of Pandemic`s in under 100 yrs, less than 5 have resulted in a large death toll.

Lookin at the outbreaks, 2001-9 has seen the largest amount of outbreaks of any decade.

There was only 6 flu outbreaks between 1918 and 1997.

Between 1997 and 2009 there have been 17 outbreaks.

So whilst modern meds can protect us, one could conclude that the large increases in 2000-09 could be a matter of concern.

rugbymatt May 9th 2009 4:02 am

Originally Posted by livit (Post 7556655)

If you look at the history of Pandemic`s in under 100 yrs, less than 5 have resulted in a large death toll.

Lookin at the outbreaks, 2001-9 has seen the largest amount of outbreaks of any decade.

There was only 6 flu outbreaks between 1918 and 1997.

Between 1997 and 2009 there have been 17 outbreaks.

So whilst modern meds can protect us, one could conclude that the large increases in 2000-09 could be a matter of concern.

Yeah, that may well be the case, but since the Flu epidemics of pre lets say 1997 killed millions, and the ones, again, lets say post 1998 killed hardly anyone one would assume that medicine has advance so much that we need not panic like we have been told to do..................

jojojojojojojojojojojojo May 9th 2009 5:31 am

you know whats gonna happen dont you. While the WHO, the media and this post are getting bent double over this complete time and money wasting flu "pandemic". something big will come along, take everyone unawares and kill 90% of us!!! and the remaining 10% will then join this post and argue about it!!!!

jo xx

livit May 9th 2009 7:14 am

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo (Post 7556895)
and the remaining 10% will then join this post and argue about it!!!!

jo xx

Who is arguing ?

Rugbymatt & myself arn`t, its a discussion on a site designed for discussion :rolleyes:

I guess our excuse is were in the UK, its wet & horrible.

I`m sure if me and the one who plays with odd shaped balls were in a pub, we`d talk, argue a bit and have a several beers.

Now if we were women the outcome would probably be very different.:rofl:

As for modern meds, yep chance`s are they can find a med, distribute and control before death tolls got serious.

The big fear is that Antibotics don`t prevent the virus mutating and becoming immune.Anti`s work with the bodies immune system, the old young and weak can still die, even with Antibiotics that have been developed.

Flu`s can mutate very quickly and many of the killer strains are still active around the world, hopefully the H1N1 doesn`t find them.

This new virus developed and spread initially quicker than any ever seen previously, the only reason the outcome of stage 1 isn`t as dramatic is largely due to the time of year, flu`s die out at this time.

Had H1N1 developed in November, we could have had stage 2 in March, that could have been serious.

How strong H1N1 mutates when stage 2 arrives, if it does arrive, will determine who in this discussion was close to predicting the spread.At this point in time it would be very serious if the virus began stage 2 now, but nobody is expecting that, but there is no way to be 100% sure.

Spain and many countries are still reporting the spread, although most patients its weak, thats down to the timing of the virus at this point.It does show though that this virus although weak in most patients, its very strong between transmition from person to person, that is another facture why the experts are concerned.

Most previous flu`s although strong in patients, didn`t survive on surfaces for as long a period as H1N1.

In 1918 they didn`t have meds as quick as today, they also didn`t have global travel.Some experts although agree that we can produce Anti`s to the virus, they need minimum 3 months to produce.

If a flu as strong as 1918 hit, combine it with global travel and the ability to survive on surfaces for long period, the spread could be worse than 1918, even with mod meds.

jojojojojojojojojojojojo May 9th 2009 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by livit (Post 7557067)
Who is arguing ?

Rugbymatt & myself arn`t, its a discussion on a site designed for discussion :rolleyes:

Re-read what I said. My comment was "in the future tense" ;)

Jo xx

livit May 10th 2009 4:02 am

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo (Post 7558210)
Re-read what I said. My comment was "in the future tense" ;)

Jo xx

Ok I have, that makes so much sense now.;)

Hondon Voyager May 10th 2009 8:10 am

Originally Posted by livit (Post 7558853)
Ok I have, that makes so much sense now.;)

:ohmy:Been a few misreads today then;)

rugbymatt May 10th 2009 9:01 am

Have we all died yet?

Hondon Voyager May 10th 2009 9:18 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 7559331)
Have we all died yet?

:confused:not sure ,have you ;)

Hondon Voyager May 10th 2009 9:19 am

:ohmy:I see I have got myself back on to this thread :lol:

rugbymatt May 10th 2009 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Hondon Voyager (Post 7559362)
:confused:not sure ,have you ;)

Just had a feel and so far so good.......

Hondon Voyager May 10th 2009 9:27 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 7559373)
Just had a feel and so far so good.......

Hang in there boy .You are probably over the worst at this stage .

Hondon Voyager May 10th 2009 11:02 am

Originally Posted by livit (Post 7557067)
Who is arguing ?

I guess our excuse is were in the UK, its wet & horrible.

I`m sure if me and the one who plays with odd shaped balls were in a pub, we`d talk, argue a bit and have a several beers.

Now if we were women the outcome would probably be very different.:rofl:

As for modern meds, yep chance`s are they can find a med, distribute and control before death tolls got serious.

The big fear is that Antibotics don`t prevent the virus mutating and becoming immune.Anti`s work with the bodies immune system, the old young and weak can still die, even with Antibiotics that have been developed.

Flu`s can mutate very quickly and many of the killer strains are still active around the world, hopefully the H1N1 doesn`t find them.

This new virus developed and spread initially quicker than any ever seen previously, the only reason the outcome of stage 1 isn`t as dramatic is largely due to the time of year, flu`s die out at this time.

Had H1N1 developed in November, we could have had stage 2 in March, that could have been serious.

How strong H1N1 mutates when stage 2 arrives, if it does arrive, will determine who in this discussion was close to predicting the spread.At this point in time it would be very serious if the virus began stage 2 now, but nobody is expecting that, but there is no way to be 100% sure.

Spain and many countries are still reporting the spread, although most patients its weak, thats down to the timing of the virus at this point.It does show though that this virus although weak in most patients, its very strong between transmition from person to person, that is another facture why the experts are concerned.

Most previous flu`s although strong in patients, didn`t survive on surfaces for as long a period as H1N1.

In 1918 they didn`t have meds as quick as today, they also didn`t have global travel.Some experts although agree that we can produce Anti`s to the virus, they need minimum 3 months to produce.

If a flu as strong as 1918 hit, combine it with global travel and the ability to survive on surfaces for long period, the spread could be worse than 1918, even with mod meds.

:ohmy:You are so Fuc***g paranoid why don't u just top yourself and give us all a break or run to the hills where there is no broadband ,Adios