Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Sunburn Thread

The Sunburn Thread

Old May 13th 2007, 7:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sunburn Thread

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I'm fairskinned also. After getting badly burnt in Australia, I tend to go only out in the the sun about 4.30 onwards. I used to jetski also at this time up until 8 and never got burnt, but got a good sun tan.

The best thing I found if I got badly burnt is pure alore (sp) vera, it has to be 99% plus, and found it is the only thing that works. I got burnt a few years back and then skinned myself jetskiing where the skin was then raw. I put a big dollop on when I went to bed, and the next day I was back out there again. Found no other cream works as well. Use it also on oven burns, cutting my finger in the kitchen or gardening, stops the bleeding and takes out the sting. Only thing I would mug someone for it I was sunburnt.
Thats why the Spanish keep a plant nearby and just cut a bit off and wipe it on the cut,burn, bite or whatever.
Old May 13th 2007, 7:17 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jdr
Thats why the Spanish keep a plant nearby and just cut a bit off and wipe it on the cut,burn, bite or whatever.
JDR, what's a "whatever" how will I know if I have it, what are the symptoms, is there anything I can do to prevent it happening.
Old May 13th 2007, 7:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
JDR, what's a "whatever" how will I know if I have it, what are the symptoms, is there anything I can do to prevent it happening.
Its a chav word for "whatever you think i might of left out of the list and is giving you pain" use it at will.
Old May 13th 2007, 7:54 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jdr
Its a chav word for "whatever you think i might of left out of the list and is giving you pain" use it at will. http://bestsmileys.com/bouncing/5.gif
Oh it comes in the same annoying phrase category as WHENEVER
Old May 13th 2007, 8:40 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Now, being fair skinned and slightly folicly challenged I have encountered a problem in Spain that I had not totally appreciated would be so difficult before I came here.

I only have to be out in the sun for a very short time and I start to burn, although I do get a nice tan the following day. I've tried 30 factor waterproof sun cream, but a 30 min dip in the pool leaves me tingling later in the day.

So what kind of stuff do you lot use. How do you cope with the very strong sunlight. How does the spectre of skin cancer effect your actions?
My other half is a redhead and thinning a bit on top, and uses P20. Its a funny sort of lotion, you put it on in the morning, and it bonds to your skin, you only need to put it on once a day, I used it in Mexico, and there was a burned handprint where i'd missed putting it on!
Its quite dear about £16 for a big bottle but as its only used once a day goes a long way. We also use a lotion from India, which is Ayervadic, all very natural and he doesn't burn using this either, we can always send you some if you like!
Old May 13th 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I have had the plants as well. They are easy to keep, being a type of cactus (without the prickles).
Old May 14th 2007, 12:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverchick
My other half is a redhead and thinning a bit on top, and uses P20. Its a funny sort of lotion, you put it on in the morning, and it bonds to your skin, you only need to put it on once a day, I used it in Mexico, and there was a burned handprint where i'd missed putting it on!
Its quite dear about £16 for a big bottle but as its only used once a day goes a long way. We also use a lotion from India, which is Ayervadic, all very natural and he doesn't burn using this either, we can always send you some if you like!
Thanks!
P20 or Ayervadic ....... whare can I get these from? I know we've made light of it a bit, but I really am getting paranoid about going out in the sun as even a short period seems to make my skin start to tingle, and even going down to the shops earlier the end of my nose feels like its burning and sore!!
Old May 14th 2007, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
P20 or Ayervadic ....... whare can I get these from? I know we've made light of it a bit, but I really am getting paranoid about going out in the sun as even a short period seems to make my skin start to tingle, and even going down to the shops earlier the end of my nose feels like its burning and sore!!
Not sure about Ayervadic. But if it's not available locally, you can usually get P20 at the airport.
Old May 14th 2007, 4:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
that's very possible...doesn't the water actually increase the effects of the rays?
Yes because you get both the direct sun rays, and those that bounce from the water, so be veeeeeery careful out there. I'm, or rather was, red haired, mostly grey now, but who cares I've still got most of it.. I need to use a high factor, but.. since living here, I have got a slight tan, but a lot of that is from just walking aobut on a sunny day. If I ever go specifically to the beach then it's, at the moment factor 12, but later will be factor 20.
Old May 14th 2007, 10:35 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Thanks!
Ayervadic isn't a brand name, its herbal and its by a company you can only get in India. Next time Simon is out there I'll get him to buy some, pm me your address and I'll send it.
Old May 14th 2007, 10:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverchick
Ayervadic isn't a brand name, its herbal and its by a company you can only get in India. Next time Simon is out there I'll get him to buy some, pm me your address and I'll send it.
Its not made out of Elephants dung or anything like that is it
Old May 14th 2007, 10:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Its not made out of Elephants dung or anything like that is it
Ayurvedic is an eastern mystic medicine that involves various elements including a form of Yoga.
Old May 14th 2007, 10:43 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Ayurvedic is an eastern mystic medicine that involves various elements including a form of Yoga.
So I have to balance on my head whilst I apply it?
Old May 14th 2007, 10:44 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

So I have to balance on my head whilst I apply it?
I have had a few Ayurvedic head massages, done with oil being run over your head, and I can honestly say they are heavenly!!
Old May 14th 2007, 10:57 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I have had a few Ayurvedic head massages, done with oil being run over your head, and I can honestly say they are heavenly!!
10W-40 when the sump dumps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.