Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Successfull in Spain.

Successfull in Spain.

Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:25 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Successfull in Spain.

Originally Posted by lee8
This is more like a version of the Masons, another US style business group who`ll benifit by running these groups rather than being the membership.

And what happens if you piss off the group, do then slander you so bad they ruin your business.
Damn right Lee! More BleedinYank bullshit again! Think Waco! Think self castration! Think waiting for the mothership!
Before you know it you'll be seeing flying saucers and your bollocks will be in the trash can!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:53 pm
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aspeangel
Forgot to say whereabouts in Herts are you from? We were from Sawbridgeworth/Bishops Stortford!
hi there aspeangel we are from hemel hempstead , where in spain are you based ? and what age are you both ? i think its brillant that you have come from the jobs that you did in uk and you have made a go of it and its paid off thats a great british expat success story love it cant wait too give it a go
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee8
This is more like a version of the Masons, another US style business group who`ll benifit by running these groups rather than being the membership.

And what happens if you piss off the group, do then slander you so bad they ruin your business.

I need to know that, i seem to piss people of a soon as I mention the wife.
Originally Posted by XTreme
Damn right Lee! More BleedinYank bullshit again! Think Waco! Think self castration! Think waiting for the mothership!
Before you know it you'll be seeing flying saucers and your bollocks will be in the trash can!
You two make me laugh. You know it all, you've done it all and no one knows any better than you.

Its a business itself of course ... Its a franchise and it will be run by local people. Everyone, the members, the franchisee, the master franchisee, its all in their best interests to do well and to ensure they have active quality members Nothing to do with Masons, no funny handshakes or class systems ....not run in the same way at all. Xtreme .. you can't have two of the same trade in a group.

I give up ... trying to make a useful suggestion, but you just carry on with your blinkered approach as you clearly know better ... I'll say no more on the subject
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:39 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Xtreme .. you can't have two of the same trade in a group.
Glad you mentioned that Jon....so if I wanted to sign up to this gig....who assesses me that I'm up to the mark?

As I stated earlier.....Professional Qualifications and Accreditation, industry track record, CPC's/NVQ's etc....these are nationally recognised indications of a person's competence.

In my case I can produce accreditation of MCSE / MCDBA / FBCS, and a verifiable IT industry track record going back to 1984.....so why would I want to put my name to something like that?
I looked on the UK register and there was someone listed under IT consultant and they were operating from a free webmail address! IT consultant with no website? LMFAO!
They're in the wrong place....they need to be out here with all the other Skills Plane crew!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you mentioned that Jon....so if I wanted to sign up to this gig....who assesses me that I'm up to the mark?
It's even more of a problem for those of us in the IT industry. I was invited to join one of the local groups in Cheshire a year or two back... the trouble was I was in 'IT' and there was already someone in 'IT' in the group and that made it complicated...

Me = IT consultant, ex-IT Director of European SME, membership of BCS, IEE (then), extensive experience in buiness process re-engineering, security, data protection, web technologies, having been actively developing applications on the Internet since 1993, etc, etc.

The other 'IT' person = some guy who built and repaired PCs.

'Sorry, it looks like we've got the whole of the IT world covered'
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twyntub
It's even more of a problem for those of us in the IT industry. I was invited to join one of the local groups in Cheshire a year or two back... the trouble was I was in 'IT' and there was already someone in 'IT' in the group and that made it complicated...

Me = IT consultant, ex-IT Director of European SME, membership of BCS, IEE (then), extensive experience in buiness process re-engineering, security, data protection, web technologies, having been actively developing applications on the Internet since 1993, etc, etc.

The other 'IT' person = some guy who built and repaired PCs.

'Sorry, it looks like we've got the whole of the IT world covered'
Thats why a successful networking group only allows one of each trade to partake, as dual tradespeople in one group would be a nightmare. Who would you give the referrals to? Many BNI's have waiting lists.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why a successful networking group only allows one of each trade to partake, as dual tradespeople in one group would be a nightmare. Who would you give the referrals to? Many BNI's have waiting lists.
Erh? Let's see now...

"Hi folks. We're a £50m turnover business and we'd like to implement a new CRM package involving major process changes which will impact our entire operation, bringing the company to its knees if it goes wrong..."

Do we give the job to the IT consultant with the management degree and board level experience, or to Fred who knows how to install a network card?

Hmm... that's my point... "Quick... don't let him join, he might actually know something!"
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:28 pm
Mucho Macho

There's no such thing as "one trade" in IT Jon....there's probably areas twyntub goes into that I don't....and vice versa.
There's HTML coders who couldn't change a power supply, there's system builders who wouldn't have a clue what to do with a MySQL database etc etc.
There are literally hundreds of different avenues within IT....whereas a plumber....is a plumber.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

I've just got a natural aversion to "organisations" that don't insist on professional and/or vocational qualifications to substantiate people are what they say they are.
Theres a name for these type of organisations in the Med
Would agree that networking is the only way to get ahead in Spain,have made this same point in all my posts on self-employment ,ok on the Spanish side would def need good pointers for the expat side though
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:34 am
aspeangel

Originally Posted by pjj
hi there aspeangel we are from hemel hempstead , where in spain are you based ? and what age are you both ? i think its brillant that you have come from the jobs that you did in uk and you have made a go of it and its paid off thats a great british expat success story love it cant wait too give it a go
We are now living in Aspe, a lovely town not that far from Fortuna. I´m 33 and hubby is 41 and we have a little boy who is nearly 6 (its so easy for him, hes fluent in Spanish having been to school 9-5 since the age of 2 1/2, in fact half the time we don´t understand him, just need to teach him to translate now!!). Do you have an idea of what you are going to do when you get here??

Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:31 am
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aspeangel
We are now living in Aspe, a lovely town not that far from Fortuna. I´m 33 and hubby is 41 and we have a little boy who is nearly 6 (its so easy for him, hes fluent in Spanish having been to school 9-5 since the age of 2 1/2, in fact half the time we don´t understand him, just need to teach him to translate now!!). Do you have an idea of what you are going to do when you get here??
i really dont know yet ive been selling cars and vans all my working days my girlfriend does admin for a main dealer as well , im 32 she is 25 , the money is good in both jobs but the hours are long and we dont seem to have enough hours in the day even our weekends seem rushed , we are constantly tired and bored with our lives here so i think change would hopefully be good , i wouldnt mind selling property for an estate agent i know there is a lot people doinging it out there, but if that did not happen we are both open minded but the first thing we are going to do is have a well earned long break
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pjj
i wouldnt mind selling property for an estate agent i know there is a lot people doinging it out there
...there's a lot less people doing it out here now

The market for cars (new and old) is very different out here, but I have met people in the motor trade working (successfully) for main dealers selling (obviously) to Brits. Clearly depends on where you are and how good you are... How's your Spanish?

Oh, and how strange is that. I used to live in B'Stortford and commute (through Sawbridgeworth) every day to Harlow. Then I moved to a company in Berkhamsted, just up the road from Hemel...
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that so far only having found work in November (having been out here since January 07) it has definitely been a case of who you know rather than applying for jobs and getting no where.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:06 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueG
I have to say that so far only having found work in November (having been out here since January 07) it has definitely been a case of who you know rather than applying for jobs and getting no where.
Your determination and patience won in the end.

Rosemary
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:33 am
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

Luck plays a part as well, I came out here at 40 having retired but was bored after 6 months. Found work almost immediately and haven't looked back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.