Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Successfull in Spain.

Successfull in Spain.

Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:17 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Successfull in Spain.

In the two years I've been here I've never advertised at all. No need to....it's all customer recommendations!
My customers just tell people I'm a mentally disturbed, loud, vulgar, motorcycle-riding Welshman (who occasionally has orange hair) who publicly scratches his cojones and who will just rip the piss out of them!
So they pick up the phome immediately!
Money can't buy that sort of advertising.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee8
He does, not as well as you`d think for somebody 18 yrs in Spain, but he can manage to argue in the ITV quite well.
He only spoke Scottish when I saw him. lol
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:25 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by aspeangel
We have had to sll 2 properties in order to provide us with enough time/money to stay here in Spain. We have worked very very hard to get where we are and we are looking forward to the next few years being successful and happy here in Spain.
Money is the key and ofcourse the problem, finding enough to fund the move and business would stop probably most of the Expats if they really thought about it, having been in that boat though you sometimes think well we`ll get by.

If we didn`t all take a chance we`d never know.

Not many can take at least £50,000 in cash free to spend on essentials without warning signs appearing.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:27 pm
Banned

lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
He only spoke Scottish when I saw him. lol
Maybe he didn`t understand your Castellano.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:29 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe he didn`t understand your Castellano.
bet yours is better.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:42 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Oh dear god!
You called?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:49 pm
Banned

bet yours is better.
Scottish or Castellano.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:07 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Scottish or Castellano.
Does it matter?

Its gonna be better 'cos its you.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:33 pm
Banned

Does it matter?

Its gonna be better 'cos its you.
Oh dear you do have it bad.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

One problem I found in the South is trying to market yourself beyond word of mouth.

In the malaga area there are several Brit newspapers and free books to advertise in, but many are simply dumped in the darkest corner of Spanish Newspaper shops or in brit shops spread out in the Campo.

Leaflet drops are a waste as the Urbs are either abandoned most of the year and locked with only key access, the finca`s are so spread out it`ll take all day just to get to 100.

Estate Agents usual know several people all ready.

The only way really is to work for several years hoping that the community will spread the word.

Even yellow pages arn`t any good as nobody really uses them.In the UK there are about 8 pages in my profession, in Malaga there are only 5 businesses, and there are more than 5 Refrigeration Engineers in one poly in Malaga city.

Advertising I found to be the most frustrating.

And the fact there`s no A-Z type maps and the Sat Nav only work 60% of the time.
Looks like all my options out the window then
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcortez
Looks like all my options out the window then
There are always networking groups as I already mentioned
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:24 am
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aspeangel
I agree word of mouth is the only way to get ahead over here. We have been here for 3 1/2 years now and a lot of time, money, patience and freebies to potential customers has helped us to build up a successful business. We now only really take on customers through word of mouth. We don´t speak fluent Spanish but we more than `get-by´and our customer base is mainly english. We have had to sll 2 properties in order to provide us with enough time/money to stay here in Spain. We have worked very very hard to get where we are and we are looking forward to the next few years being successful and happy here in Spain.
hi aspeangel thats what i like to hear some one whose taken the gamble and risked a lot to make the move to spain and has suceeded and are happy that they made the move , do you still go back to the uk ? what did you and your other half do in the uk job wise before you left the uk ?

Last edited by pjj; Jan 7th 2008 at 9:35 am.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 11:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
There are always networking groups as I already mentioned

How do they work ?

Got any advice for the South ?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 11:30 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

How do they work ?

Got any advice for the South ?
Well BNI is the only one I have experience of. They are once a week meetings where you have maybe 20 members. Each member stands up every week and tells the group (and visitors) what they do and what kind of work they want. Every so often you get a chance to give a 10 minute presentation. The others in the group are active every week in looking for business opportunities and work for their fellow members, and every week the members have a chance to give "referrals", which are basically leads and new business they have picked up for their fellow members during that week. So basically you have a group of unpaid salespeople looking for work for you every week. It does work. You have to commit to it though and turn up every week otherwise eventually you get dumped.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 11:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well BNI is the only one I have experience of. They are once a week meetings where you have maybe 20 members. Each member stands up every week and tells the group (and visitors) what they do and what kind of work they want. Every so often you get a chance to give a 10 minute presentation. The others in the group are active every week in looking for business opportunities and work for their fellow members, and every week the members have a chance to give "referrals", which are basically leads and new business they have picked up for their fellow members during that week. So basically you have a group of unpaid salespeople looking for work for you every week. It does work. You have to commit to it though and turn up every week otherwise eventually you get dumped.
Never heard of that.

I don`t think it`ll work for me as people need me as and when there Air con is rogered or there Gas blows up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.