Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain torturing people again.

Spain torturing people again.

Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain torturing people again.

Originally Posted by rachelk
BUT the policement involved in this alleged incident might well justify their treatment of a terrorist suspect in the same way that the US justify the interrogation of suspects in Guantánamo.

They arrest this suspected Basque terrorist, they think him and some accomplices are about to launch a major attack in madrid (as I think was later reported). They have to find out where and when in order to stop the murder of innocent civilians. How far should they be allowed to go in order to get the information they need to stop a terrorist attack?
This is very difficult, I personally think they should be allowed to go as far as it takes within reason to prevent the attack, just think of the consequences if something got through the security web. Whatever way they can't win, they get criticized if they do try to prevent an attack and they get criticized if they don't.

Personally I think many peoples lives are more important then one, I think that is the reality of the situation.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Problem (or one of them at least) is, under torture, people can say anything.

If you were a terrorist, you'd been arrested, but you knew that other members of your group were about to launch an attack, would you tell the truth and allow the police to stop them?

Or would you give them false information and allow the attack to go ahead?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

If you were a terrorist, you'd been arrested, but you knew that other members of your group were about to launch an attack, would you tell the truth and allow the police to stop them?

That's probably a question for the terrorist, I guess it depends on their devotion to the cause.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
That's probably a question for the terrorist, I guess it depends on their devotion to the cause.
Why would they tell? What would they have to gain?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why would they tell? What would they have to gain?
Don't know, I do recollect some IRA terrorists coming free with the info very easily.
(Not from experience I might add, just remember something about this)

Look at it this way:

If someone caught by police is involved in a plot to blow up people and you take them into a room and say, now look Paddy, Mohammad, Xavier or whatever, what is all this bomb plot about? I don't think you would get much responce, using other methods * might * get a responce. Now we are talking about many peoples lives here, what would you do?

Last edited by Econ; Jan 13th 2008 at 2:03 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

If the attack is imminent, you don't have long to hold out. Stall them with some false info.

If the attack is some time off, your comrades have time to change their plans in case you reveal info under torture.

But in fact my original question - how far should they be allowed to go - was aimed more at Lee8 who had voiced the strongest opinion against the alleged actions of the police in this case. Your previous comment about the Brasilian was what prompted me to ask it.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

But in fact my original question - how far should they be allowed to go - was aimed more at Lee8 who had voiced the strongest opinion against the alleged actions of the police in this case. Your previous comment about the Brasilian was what prompted me to ask it.
I might be able to pre-empt the answer here... give them a lounger, a beer, a play station and an internet connection then wait until a bomb goes off to see if they are guilty first...... OK, that's unfair, maybe I will let lee answer it....

Last edited by Econ; Jan 13th 2008 at 2:10 pm. Reason: guilty bit
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:09 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Maybe you should spend more time on common sense than your research, you might learn some important things about life.
Well one point would be that whilst not every suspect is a moral citizen, not all are criminals, and not all police officers in Spain are criminals, some are abusing the system.

If the guy wasn't guilty when he was brought in he was before the cop hit him, guilty of being ignorant, verbal abuse, disrespect... so I take from this that you are of the type that thinks this is normally accepted behaviour? you have a lot to learn.
There`s no sound to this vid, I`m basing my points on the reports of the incident.

You blame the police for antagonising people to start them off then show an example of the opposite... then try to blame the police, get real lee.
I gave an example, thats all.

lee, * mistake * is not an excuse, if you are arrogant and abusive then it's your fault, mistake or not. Try using your head a little, it's really very obvious....
Ok we`ll get back now to facts.

Here this story states the EU recommended the police install camera`s back in 2005 after receiving 197 complaints in the EU Court of Human rights.

http://www.theolivepress.es/2007/06/...lice-stations/
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:14 pm
Banned

lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

This is why there are laws in place.

There isn`t any evidence this person is connected to ETA, he was walking along a street, he fitted a suspects description, the officers after asking for ID then took him to a river and drowned him until he was almost passed out, even if he admitted to being a terrorist, that evidence is not valid as it was gained under duress, which is illegal.

Had it been proved he was a terrorist, then fine give him the death penalty, but only once your sure he/she is guilty.

Anybody got any comments about that Basque couple who were tortured by mistake then.

I hope when i visit family in the north I don`t fit the description.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lee8
Well one point would be that whilst not every suspect is a moral citizen, not all are criminals, and not all police officers in Spain are criminals, some are abusing the system.
If you keep your nose clean in life then * generally * you won't have problems.

There`s no sound to this vid, I`m basing my points on the reports of the incident.
You mean you are trying to pervert the course of justice?

Ok we`ll get back now to facts.

Here this story states the EU recommended the police install camera`s back in 2005 after receiving 197 complaints in the EU Court of Human rights.
I refer you to the answer I gave above.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:18 pm
Banned

If someone caught by police is involved in a plot to blow up people and you take them into a room and say, now look Paddy, Mohammad, Xavier or whatever, what is all this bomb plot about? I don't think you would get much responce, using other methods * might * get a responce. Now we are talking about many peoples lives here, what would you do?
No but you beat a person for 10 hours they`ll tell you anything to make you stop.

Anti torture techniques taught to people who could be caught and tortured are easily learn`t.

Thats why the CIA used the poly graph and then drugs.

Its been proven that information gained during extreme conditions and torture is rarely accurate.

Real world far different from 007 movies.

ETA as well as the IRA and Al queda operate in very small cells without sharing information with each other, members of ETA rarely meet others and information is rarely shared, so as to limit damage when caught.

Torture only serves to scare people, its not allowed and evidence gained cannot be used in a court room.

Last edited by lee8; Jan 13th 2008 at 2:21 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its been proven that information gained during extreme conditions and torture is rarely accurate.
I bet it's more accurate than taking them into a room and asking them a couple of questions they won't answer, tell us lee, how would you handle the above situation by rachelk?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:22 pm
Banned

I refer you to the answer I gave above.
The evidence that was provided when these officers were arrested.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Had it been proved he was a terrorist, then fine give him the death penalty,.
Pardon?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

The points made about the usefullness of information obtained under torture,are well made, numerous studies made since the Vietnam war,have shown that approx 60% of info gathered using this method is useless
Which,of course is one of the reasons we in the West now use various drugs to obtain our information (which,in turn allows us to say we dont use torture).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.