Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain torturing people again.

Spain torturing people again.

Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:19 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all
Default Spain torturing people again.

First I don`t support terrorism.

But the Spanish authorities have been denounced by the families of Igor Portu who was arrested on Sunday for alleged acts terrorism and membership to the Basque ETA group.

Fifteen hours after his detention he was taken to Donostia Hospital and treated for a broken rib, punchered lung, severe brushing to the face and lasherations to both legs and wrists.

Spanish officials blamed the arrest to have been a difficult and violence was used against there officers, these injuries are said to be the result of the arrest .

Funny has he did resist arrest at the time of capture according to official witnesses.

Igor has yet to stand trial and he is only suspected of being involved in terrorism, no charges have yet to be declared and no evidence has yet to be forwarded to the court.

I would say that of course terrorists have no rights in the world and deserve all they get, but you first have to prove who is a terrorist.

So far the Spanish have yet to prove this person is one.

The Spanish have to follow the standing they take when asking the CIA why they are using there airports illegally and criticising the US for its human rights abuses, when for decades every Basque person has feared being taken to a Guardia Civil Police Station and beaten up in the hope they would inform on ETA members.

Spain needs to realise that if the situation is ever to become peaceful they need to stop abusing Basque people.Its time both side sat down and talk as they Irish and the British did, the British realised in the 80`s that abusing irish people didn`t resolve there determination, it encouraged violence.

Here`s the news link.

http://www.eitb24.com/new/en/B24_825...utene-prison-/

Last edited by lee8; Jan 11th 2008 at 1:25 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Spain torturing people again.

Originally Posted by lee8
...Funny has he did resist arrest at the time of capture according to official witnesses....
Poor old Igor got all he deserved, then.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Its time both side sat down and talk as they Irish and the British did, the British realised in the 80`s that abusing irish people didn`t resolve there determination, it encouraged violence.
Well I guess in this case giving into terrorists in not what the Spanish people want, I have to say I agree with them.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Spain torturing people again.

But the Spanish authorities have been denounced by the families of Igor Portu who was arrested on Sunday for alleged acts terrorism and membership to the Basque ETA group.

Fifteen hours after his detention he was taken to Donostia Hospital and treated for a broken rib, punchered lung, severe brushing to the face and lasherations to both legs and wrists.

Spanish officials blamed the arrest to have been a difficult and violence was used against there officers, these injuries are said to be the result of the arrest .

Funny has he did resist arrest at the time of capture according to official witnesses.

Igor has yet to stand trial and he is only suspected of being involved in terrorism, no charges have yet to be declared and no evidence has yet to be forwarded to the court.

I would say that of course terrorists have no rights in the world and deserve all they get, but you first have to prove who is a terrorist.

The Spanish have to follow the standing they take when asking the CIA why they are using there airports illegally and criticising the US for its human rights abuses, when for decades every Basque person has feared being taken to a Guardia Civil Police Station and beaten up in the hope they would inform on ETA members.

Spain needs to realise that if the situation is ever to become peaceful they need to stop abusing Basque people.Its time both side sat down and talk as they Irish and the British did, the British realised in the 80`s that abusing irish people didn`t resolve there determination, it encouraged violence.

Here`s the news link.

I see a case coming before the European Court of Human Rights in the near future. I suppose Spain does allow cases to go before the court?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:08 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
I see a case coming before the European Court of Human Rights in the near future. I suppose Spain does allow cases to go before the court?
Yes but it doesn't take any notice of them
Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Econ
Well I guess in this case giving into terrorists in not what the Spanish people want, I have to say I agree with them.
For persoanl reasons,I totally agree:curse:Terrorists should never be surrendered to,Personally I have not changed my behaviour 1 bit since 7/7,and dont intend to.Still remember with disgust the alledged terrorist's bleating about their human rights when captured in London,Viva Espana:curse:
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

We need to approach this piece of news with some skepticism. Obviously it there was any torture the judge needs to look into it. Spain does not condone and does not have a policy to torture anybody. If there was torture it was the individual decision and bad judgment of the policemen involved and if proven true they will have to be punished for that.

But, ETA members have a very well defined instructions to behave - during arrest - in such a way that the media would assume that they have been tortured. They are instructed to denounce tortures as another fighting tool against the state, to shout in public, etc. You can read the details in today's copy of El Pais, page 15, where it's also reported that a witness affirms that the detention was "clean".

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/espan...lpepinac_6/Tes

Would you live in a country that instructs its policemen to practice torture?
Would you say "The UK tortures people" if one English policeman abuses a detainee?

The person who posted this message should have used better judgment.
The correct title is "A detainee, an alleged member of ETA, denounces torture". Anything else, for the time being, until the judge decides, is pure and simple bull*it!

Last edited by gudes; Jan 11th 2008 at 6:26 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:45 pm
Banned

lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Poor old Igor got all he deserved, then.
Sorry my mistake it should have read "DIDN`T resist arrest".

My point being poor old Igor isn`t any different from you, at this point in time he hasn`t been proved to be a Terrorist, just somebody the Police decided to arrest.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:59 pm
Banned

If you travel to the basque country you`ll notice posters of people who have been Tortured or rather beaten up by the Police.

Many Basque youths have been assaulted in the streets by the Police, for being possible youth group members when they`ve been nothing more than kids in the street.

Many Basques are affraid to Speak out, the mention of ETA brings people to state, as in this disscussion ,there arrested so they must be Terrorist, nope you are inoccent until proven guilty.

In Barcelona the Mosos D`Esquadra have been accused of similar treatment of detainees, last year under cover video was shown of people arrested and badly beaten in interview rooms.

In Southern Spain a man was beaten to death outside a Guardia Civil Police Station by several on Duty officers.

In Marbella Southern Spain a Belgian man was killed in the street by a Policia Local who said the man had resisted arrest, so he crushed his skull.

The situation is so bad in Spain that the Council of Europes CPT made its fifth visit to Spain in 2007.

Amnesty International accused the Spanish Govt of turning a blind eye to the "Widespread and persistant torture of detainees".

My problem isn`t one of ETA members simply crying about the Spanish govt.

It`s the fact these incidents are happening to people who may just may not be guilty of any crimes.

Such as a Man from Lleida who confessed to vandalising an ATM in 2003, after spending 8 hrs in stress positions, he was later freed as evidence found he wasn`t the suspect.

Last edited by lee8; Jan 11th 2008 at 7:03 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Here`s the news link.

So what has this to do with torturing?, there is NO PROOF that he has been tortured, this is probably just a smokescreen thrown up by friends and relatives of the arrested man, and possibly sections of the media. It happens in the UK, you get these sort of stories every so often.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mikelincs
this is probably just a smokescreen thrown up by friends and relatives of the arrested man, and possibly sections of the media. It happens in the UK, you get these sort of stories every so often.

I`ve yet to read in the media an Asian man suspected of being a terrorist, then needing Hospital treatment.

It has to do with the fact an EU country is allowing its Police to beat confessions out of possibly innocent people.

As the Mosos in Barcelona have been filmed doin last year.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

In the UK we have had a Brazilian mistaken for an Asianterrorist shot on a tube train,
Police lied that he ran from them,(cctv showed this up as a lie),then pinned him to his seat,and then shot for acting "suspiciously",according to all the witness's he looked up in surprise at being pinned to his seat by a guy with a gun (who did not indetify himself as a policeman).
So far no police have been reprimanded,Police Cheif refused to resign!
The mistake was made apparently because the MI5 agent who was suppossed to indentify the correct target took a leak at "wrong time"
One question that has not been answered,is what happened to the real terorist,is he free to continue planning
The point of this,is that no one country is free from problems,implying that Spain is unique,is to put it politly nonsense:curse:

Also talking about Asian men needing hospital treatment after arrest by the Police,should I get some of my Asian friends to post?
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:20 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcortez
In the UK we have had a Brazilian mistaken for an Asianterrorist shot on a tube train,
Police lied that he ran from them,(cctv showed this up as a lie),then pinned him to his seat,and then shot for acting "suspiciously",according to all the witness's he looked up in surprise at being pinned to his seat by a guy with a gun
You neglect to say that he was shot, I think, seven times in the head. Obviously they weren't sure the first 6 were having much effect so decided to make sure.

Lee, you must realise that the UK Police like to hand it out just as much as any other nationality copper.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seven times in the head
Surprised there was a head left to aim at after the first 2 or 3
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcortez
Seven times in the head
Surprised there was a head left to aim at after the first 2 or 3
Even more surprised that they still considered him a threat to security after the first 2 or 3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.