Restaurants

Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

laslopeady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by Sharon B
A few of us were out late on Saturday night and found ourselves at Bodeguitas a retaurant run by a husband and wife team who had trained with some famous chefs (whose names I have forgotten) in the north of the country. Deciding that we fancied some snacks and ordered some tapas and were told we could only eat inside as the terrace was for the meal eaters. Fair enough, wandered into the empty inside, realising at 30 degrees plus why no one was having tapas!!. So we went back outside and decided to share some starters/mains since there was only one occupied table.

On arriving at a table we had to ask our disinterested waiter to wipe the table twice as he was more interested in getting our order. We ordered a salad (read here as a bowl of lettuce leaves with 2 slices of tomato and sliced onions for €7), A charcoaled chicken and a fish dish. Both mains could have cooked by any novice, placed on a dish with the now famous side salad ie lettuce and onions.

Up to a year ago this restaurant was providing food and a quality which could not be matched by any other in Ayamonte. You did pay for it but you left feeling that you got your moneys worth.

I do not know why the situation has changed but to fall in line with the other restaurants in the area, serving the same surely is not going to bring in the customers, as the few number of customers, on what should have been a busy night illustrated.

Totally disappointed with the whole experience. Its a pity places like this do not realise in times like this service and consistency is important if you want to keep the few customers that are still eating out.

Wow I feel better now that I have had a good moan and wrote a whole book on the experience.
Know how you feel. We had a meal there with friends last year and the service was abysmal. So much so that I refused to pay for one meal that arrived 30 minutes after everybody else had finished.
On a brighter not we had a late night meal in the restaraunt /tapas place on the corner of the square opposite the Piza place and it was great. Freshly cooked and very well looked after, and it was gone 11.30 pm.
Regards
Laslo peady
Old Aug 19th 2009, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

This is what I don't understand. The owner has supposedly worked in top class restaurants but has not to trained his staff on customer service. To me the waiter/waitress service is as important as the food, it is part of the whole dining experience. A disinterested member of staff who wipes a dirty cloth over the table and then brings out dishes in 10 minute intervals when asked to bring out everything together and then doesn't explain why, is poor customer service. And I for one might give the benefit of doubt once but would not venture there again.

And unfortunately for me this is so true of a few eateries in and around Ayamonte.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:45 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I don't understand. The owner has supposedly worked in top class restaurants but has not to trained his staff on customer service. To me the waiter/waitress service is as important as the food, it is part of the whole dining experience. A disinterested member of staff who wipes a dirty cloth over the table and then brings out dishes in 10 minute intervals when asked to bring out everything together and then doesn't explain why, is poor customer service. And I for one might give the benefit of doubt once but would not venture there again.

And unfortunately for me this is so true of a few eateries in and around Ayamonte.
If I may expand on that....

...this is more about us and our habits and expectations than poor Spanish service. For most of us (although recent trips back to UK suggest this is chaning or indeed, maybe, HAS changed) eating out in a restaurant was a treat, something not enjoyed on a daily or even weekly basis. I'm sure many on here could relate to the idea of going to a restaurant less than half a dozen times in a year. In this case, the 'whole dining experience' was of course extremely important.

Eating in restaurants, for the Spanish, is not the luxury we (arguably once - see above footnote) think it is. It is a normal occurance.

I've noticed a sea-change in Spain in the last, say 10-ish years. It really was difficult to find what we would call quality restaurants in abundance in the major cities and simply forget everywhere else. Everything was much of a muchness. True, of course there were many excpetions.l Yet with an increased interest in different types of gastronomy thanks to the glut of fancy TV chefs over the last few years, things have changed. The cities have moved up a notch with increasing quality and variety but the towns and villages still lag behind. Even what the supermarkets stock has changed. I could not find fresh pasta for love nor money until about 5 or 6 years ago.

So attitudes in the cities at least are changing. Restaurants are not just about a place to serve food to fill an empty belly. They can be a 'whole dining experience'

A final note - it is summer. The vast majority of tourists in the Huelva (and other coastal) region are from the inland cities. Apart from coming to the coast for the beach, they all want the same thing for the 2 weeks or so that they are here - seafood and plenty of it. And they want it cooked or prepared the same way wherever they are. They have their fancy restaurants in Madrid or Barcelona or Seville (OK, poor choice that last one) to enjoy for the other 11 months of the year - when they are here, this is what they want. You'll learn as time goes on that, like most locals who tend not to frequent restaurants as much in July & August, you'll get a better meal and 'whole dining experience' (just!) in th winter months when it's back to business as usual and looking after the punters who are here 12 months a year.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
If I may expand on that....

...this is more about us and our habits and expectations than poor Spanish service. For most of us (although recent trips back to UK suggest this is chaning or indeed, maybe, HAS changed) eating out in a restaurant was a treat, something not enjoyed on a daily or even weekly basis. I'm sure many on here could relate to the idea of going to a restaurant less than half a dozen times in a year. In this case, the 'whole dining experience' was of course extremely important.

Eating in restaurants, for the Spanish, is not the luxury we (arguably once - see above footnote) think it is. It is a normal occurance.

I've noticed a sea-change in Spain in the last, say 10-ish years. It really was difficult to find what we would call quality restaurants in abundance in the major cities and simply forget everywhere else. Everything was much of a muchness. True, of course there were many excpetions.l Yet with an increased interest in different types of gastronomy thanks to the glut of fancy TV chefs over the last few years, things have changed. The cities have moved up a notch with increasing quality and variety but the towns and villages still lag behind. Even what the supermarkets stock has changed. I could not find fresh pasta for love nor money until about 5 or 6 years ago.

So attitudes in the cities at least are changing. Restaurants are not just about a place to serve food to fill an empty belly. They can be a 'whole dining experience'

A final note - it is summer. The vast majority of tourists in the Huelva (and other coastal) region are from the inland cities. Apart from coming to the coast for the beach, they all want the same thing for the 2 weeks or so that they are here - seafood and plenty of it. And they want it cooked or prepared the same way wherever they are. They have their fancy restaurants in Madrid or Barcelona or Seville (OK, poor choice that last one) to enjoy for the other 11 months of the year - when they are here, this is what they want. You'll learn as time goes on that, like most locals who tend not to frequent restaurants as much in July & August, you'll get a better meal and 'whole dining experience' (just!) in th winter months when it's back to business as usual and looking after the punters who are here 12 months a year.
First of all, my I just say I think I need a lie down, as I actually think I agree with you to a certain extent..

However, its not about fancy restaurants its about manners and courtesy and customer service. I work in the service industry in Ayamonte and maybe its a culture thing but I treat my regulars/locals with a big welcoming smile as I do holiday makers, we all need returning customers. At the end of the day locals are my bread and butter when the holidaymakers have long gone.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, my I just say I think I need a lie down, as I actually think I agree with you to a certain extent..

However, its not about fancy restaurants its about manners and courtesy and customer service. I work in the service industry in Ayamonte and maybe its a culture thing but I treat my regulars/locals with a big welcoming smile as I do holiday makers, we all need returning customers. At the end of the day locals are my bread and butter when the holidaymakers have long gone.
Thats a shame the chef worked in a michelin resto with a famous French chef, in the French basque country (I think) and the food has been good. The waiter there used to be the french guy Jean Michel - who speaks a load of languages.... has he gone?

The steak solomillo was to die for, and a HUGE portion... enough really for 2.

Jon
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Thats a shame the chef worked in a michelin resto with a famous French chef, in the French basque country (I think) and the food has been good. The waiter there used to be the french guy Jean Michel - who speaks a load of languages.... has he gone?

Jon
When I went the mentioned Restaurant earlier this year the food was fine, service was patchy given it was a quiet night but the aftercare service was exceptional. We could not get a taxi back to CE after a few drinks round town, after a while waiting for a taxi we went back to Bodeguitas and the owner gave us a lift back to CE.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Ears332205 is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Restaurants

Jon
Think Jean-Michel works at Jags.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guesswork
When I went the mentioned Restaurant earlier this year the food was fine, service was patchy given it was a quiet night but the aftercare service was exceptional. We could not get a taxi back to CE after a few drinks round town, after a while waiting for a taxi we went back to Bodeguitas and the owner gave us a lift back to CE.
Hey, if I was to rate restaurants on aftercare then top marks to El Choco for taking four adults and 2 children back to Isla Canela after his shift and would not take a cent. This was about 5 years ago and the waiter is still there now.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

The Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ears332205
He used too! Tink Tacked!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ears332205
You need to visit more often!! Jean-Michel left Jags about 6 months ago for pastures new.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

AlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant future

Went to a Chinese last night in Lepe.. (go through Lepe, past all the light shops on the road to Carteya) .. about 1 mile you will see Chinese resturant on the left hand side (not the big Asiatico) ..

Food, service and price was excellent ... we had lots of starters (Dim Sum), 13 main dishes (each dish was very large and excellent), fried rice, noodles, 3-4 drinks each for 12 people (I know we ordered 2x too much..)

Menu choice was excellent..

total bill was less than 15 euros per head ...
Old Aug 21st 2009, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlandEve
Went to a Chinese last night in Lepe.. (go through Lepe, past all the light shops on the road to Carteya) .. about 1 mile you will see Chinese resturant on the left hand side (not the big Asiatico) ..

Food, service and price was excellent ... we had lots of starters (Dim Sum), 13 main dishes (each dish was very large and excellent), fried rice, noodles, 3-4 drinks each for 12 people (I know we ordered 2x too much..)

Menu choice was excellent..

total bill was less than 15 euros per head ...
Thats sounds worth a try. Still searching for a half decent Chinese around here!!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:20 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

You need to visit more often!! Jean-Michel left Jags about 6 months ago for pastures new.
JM used to work at Bodeguita - then went to Jags and then went back to Bodeguita (or however its spelled). He was back there when we saw him in May/June. I asked as I am surprised that he would give such bad service, (as mentioned above) and so I supose he's moved on from there again. He had some great new opportunities, and I suppose he took them.

Bodeguita needs to get the act together as they should provide good food (highly trained classical chef - probably the top in Ayamonte) and service should be a given.

What a shame they have gone downhill!!

Nice to go to a 'posh' resto from time to time - even if the bill is high...
Old Aug 21st 2009, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

The Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really nice

JM used to work at Bodeguita - then went to Jags and then went back to Bodeguita (or however its spelled). He was back there when we saw him in May/June. I asked as I am surprised that he would give such bad service, (as mentioned above) and so I supose he's moved on from there again. He had some great new opportunities, and I suppose he took them.

Bodeguita needs to get the act together as they should provide good food (highly trained classical chef - probably the top in Ayamonte) and service should be a given.

What a shame they have gone downhill!!

Nice to go to a 'posh' resto from time to time - even if the bill is high...

Great new opportunities JM - Selling dodgy motors
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ears332205 is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Restaurants

I wish I could!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.