Restaurants

Old Jul 17th 2009, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

tonyp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by Jur
How about a top three of (in your opinion) of the best and worst restaurants/eating places in the area? let´s restrict it to the Huelva and Algarve province.

My best three:

1) Casa Vicente, Ayamonte
2) Taj Mahal, Monte Gordo
3) Bar A3, Marina Isla Canela

Worst:

1) Hotel Riu Atlantico
2) Mexican restaurant, La Plaza, Ayamonte
3) Pizzeria Bella Napoli, commercial center Isla Canela
Excuse my ignorance,owned a property in the area for 3 years and do not know where Casa Vicente is?

What type of food do they serve.Traditional Spanish,European??
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Informative post Jon, will have to give some of them a try, might take some time though.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:17 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonyp
Excuse my ignorance,owned a property in the area for 3 years and do not know where Casa Vicente is?

What type of food do they serve.Traditional Spanish,European??
It´s next to the Santander bank in Ayamonte, small place with great seafood.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:41 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Very nice upmarket resto on the beach - be prepared to pay though. They are building a new resto next to it on this beach (at least thats what it looks like) so there will be competetion, it looks sympathetically done and wont spoil the views (I think) of the beach etc. The Panoramico has great views, is pricey also but has an interesting looking 'fish-fest' on Friday nights followed by live music. Havent tried it however.

As far as beach restos go, try the 'cabeco' beach, right next to Praia Verde, there are 2 there, the original Sem Espinhas (now also in Manta Rota and already recommended here) and O Pescador which does live music 'discos' on the beach in season. They have a prato do dia, and are very friendly people. We like them both, but if guests come we go to Sem's first. Easy to find, just head towards VRSA from Pria Verde turn off on the 125, its just a short distance on the right - keep driving on the tarmacced road, even though a bit rough, and you'll eventually get there. Its basically the next beach along. All the chiringuitos that weve tried at the beach on the Isla Christina road are nice places. Great fish meal at Antonios at the Marina.

We like the fishing village next to Tavira, Santa Lucia, very nice little village the 'polvo' capital of Europe and a nice place to visit for a meal and wander around seeing the fishermen bringing in the catch, or mending nets etc. You'll find a couple of places on the road there - all worth it... even the snack-pub place...

Difficult for me to pick the top 3 as it depends on our mood, so I've posted regularly on the ones we enjoy (just search on my name, please dont ask directions for each one here!). I think I alerted the forum to Luis new resto in Monte francisco, Maestro Romulo, GREAT value for money lunches and the closest to CE. Jags of course is well appreciated for a high quality meal - or curry with a good wine list. We like Quitapenas best for Tapas + Ambience. Although the 1st stop for us on arrival is lunch at Puerta Ancha and just sit in Laguna and look at the place and trees etc. El Barrio for the atmosphere and the possibility of a great group evening out in a very local place with great value for money (I celebrated a big birthday there in June and had 10 adults and 5 grown kids - good fun). For a good steak try Bodequitas and go for the Solomillo - but be hungry, BTW the chef there has worked with a big michelin starred chef in France. O Caseiro on the 125 is nice too for a value for money lunch. Head from the new roundabout next to Praia Verde direction M-Rota and cross the next roundabout and just after the Altura sign you'll see it on the right. Always lots of cars parked there - so we knew it would be good. We even like the Big House outside Cartaya for a good value 'chinese' meal, with some sushi too, that I demolish! As I say it depends on the mood. We also love having a beer or coffee at the Quinta do Vale golf club, just across the water. What a great view from the terrace - haven't tried the food.

Poor old Jur got told off for not mentioning Jags - but I don't think even Jag would expect everybody to vote for him - its not sacrilege to mention another resto! However my next comment WILL be sacrilege and I post it, in trepidation, of the slagging off I will get! The Mars bar, Manta Rota, for a burger anyway. We went there after a few weeks in CE - our mood was to have a big juicy burger after weeks of Spanish food. Went there early evening, we felt something was wrong when we tasted them, it also wasn't attractive looking for us either, but like an idiot I finished it anyway, some very nice people (strangers) and huge fans of Mars made a place for us as they saw we were uncomfortable there at a bad table, in the rain that started shortly after. And I guess I felt somehow obligated (plus I was v hungry). Idiot. I even went immediately (after dropping my wife off at home as she wasnt feeling good) to the golf club bar after to drink a couple of margaritas in the hope of killing off whatever was in there. I mentioned to a couple of people there in the bar, about it, and I really felt I was committing a sacrilege, to dare to criticise it! I've held my tongue (or typing fingers - silent since then out of fear!! ) Big fans everywhere, and maybe we had an unlucky moment. The truth is almost every post has been good, so don't let this overly influence you. Also my wife had no problem after and had a burger too, that she didnt finish, mine also had different toppings. I wont go into the week long problem I had and the fight I had with the Ayamonte emergency clinic to get the right medicine, fortunately (errr 'unfortunately', so I should know better) I have a long experience with this sort of problem - having lived + worked in Asia - and I know what to take.

We dont go to El Rincon, next to the GALP garage anymore, even though they have a value lunch menu - there are just too many better alternatives. Noosh or Nosh as they prefer to call it now, is something we never tried, as its always empty.

To end on a high note, Casa Vincente we havent tried - but never had a bad word, recomended here too, and Luciano opposite Eroski comes highly recommended - both are on the list for a later visit.

Remember 5 portions of fruit or veg a day along with a max of 3 units of wine - so make sure you eat lots of salads when you visit these places, and share a small carafe of wine

Jon
This post here more or less demonstrates what I have been saying on another thread about the lack of quailty places in the area given that most of the places you mention are on the Portuguese side of the border, and it is true that it is easier to find better quality places there than here (although it is also tru to find horrendous places but that's a whole other trhead!!!!)
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:28 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
This post here more or less demonstrates what I have been saying on another thread about the lack of quailty places in the area given that most of the places you mention are on the Portuguese side of the border, and it is true that it is easier to find better quality places there than here (although it is also tru to find horrendous places but that's a whole other trhead!!!!)
Jon, give us your top three then!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:20 am
Banned

Ayamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jur
Jon, give us your top three then!
Yeah, come on Jon, give us your top three!

Here's mine.

Jags
Hector's Steak House on the hill
Luciano's

worst

Bella napoli
Esperanza (on the front square) maybe it should be Desperanza...
Noosh/Nosh
Old Jul 18th 2009, 7:39 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ayamontino
Yeah, come on Jon, give us your top three!

Here's mine.

Jags
Hector's Steak House on the hill
Luciano's

worst

Bella napoli
Esperanza (on the front square) maybe it should be Desperanza...
Noosh/Nosh
Blimey what pressure! 2 requests for our top 3

As I mentioned in the post its hard to pick a top 3 as it depends on our mood - we enjoy eating out and do it a lot wherever we are. For us food is so much about mood as well as whats on the plate, i.e the 'psychological' side of it. Actually, when we meet up with others from the forum and Im used to being asked to take them to a new resto, as Ive posted a lot about them. It seems I have a bit of a reputation.

We stay several weeks when we come, so do a lot. So I will answer the question like this. If we only had a 3/4 days in Ayamonte where would we not miss? These would be

Jags
Quitapena
Either El Barrio if we were having a group do Or Luis as he+ family are so nice. Back to mood, I cant rave about the food alone in these 2, but value for money and ambience makes it special for us for the last 2.

There would definately be a drink at Puerta Ancha the very first day at Laguna though (a tradition for us) even if we didnt eat - and a laugh with Stan the server there.

Actually much more in Spain that Portugal.

I mentioned the restos that we wouldnt return to in the earlier post.

Plus dont forget the 5 bananas per day bought from the market

JOn
Old Jul 18th 2009, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Blimey what pressure! 2 requests for our top 3

As I mentioned in the post its hard to pick a top 3 as it depends on our mood - we enjoy eating out and do it a lot wherever we are. For us food is so much about mood as well as whats on the plate, i.e the 'psychological' side of it. Actually, when we meet up with others from the forum and Im used to being asked to take them to a new resto, as Ive posted a lot about them. It seems I have a bit of a reputation.

We stay several weeks when we come, so do a lot. So I will answer the question like this. If we only had a 3/4 days in Ayamonte where would we not miss? These would be

Jags
Quitapena
Either El Barrio if we were having a group do Or Luis as he+ family are so nice. Back to mood, I cant rave about the food alone in these 2, but value for money and ambience makes it special for us for the last 2.

There would definately be a drink at Puerta Ancha the very first day at Laguna though (a tradition for us) even if we didnt eat - and a laugh with Stan the server there.

Actually much more in Spain that Portugal.

I mentioned the restos that we wouldnt return to in the earlier post.

Plus dont forget the 5 bananas per day bought from the market

JOn
How do you and Catherine keep your svelte figures?
Old Jul 18th 2009, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

John and Kath, must be all that swimming and 5 a day
Old Jul 18th 2009, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by Sharon B
John and Kath, must be all that swimming and 5 a day
5 what? Must get some of that myself and some for Kath too!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

If anyone is interested there is a new pizzeria opening soon in Lotita Square. It will be run by a Lebanese gentleman from Portugal who already runs a couple of pizzerias in Vila Real and in Faro. So hopefully he can do better then the other cheese on toast establishments around here. How hard can it be to provide decent pizzas?!!
Opened last night. Haven't received any reviews yet but seemed to be busy on the first night. Might give the other pizzerias a run for their money.

PS. Still fuming after paying for grissinis (breadsticks in packets) at Pasta Ganza for 10 people even though they remained unopened but were told I had to pay for them and take them away. Once you have paid 6€ for them you do take them with you!! I know I should have checked the menu but I presumed that if the packet isn't opened the waitress wouldn't charge but have been since imformed that whether you like them or not this is a compulsory addition to your bill. Moan over, now there is a choice in the town where to take young visitors for a pizza.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Opened last night. Haven't received any reviews yet but seemed to be busy on the first night. Might give the other pizzerias a run for their money.

PS. Still fuming after paying for grissinis (breadsticks in packets) at Pasta Ganza for 10 people even though they remained unopened but were told I had to pay for them and take them away. Once you have paid 6€ for them you do take them with you!! I know I should have checked the menu but I presumed that if the packet isn't opened the waitress wouldn't charge but have been since imformed that whether you like them or not this is a compulsory addition to your bill. Moan over, now there is a choice in the town where to take young visitors for a pizza.
You must stipulate no bread, but then people i know did this at one place and got a charge for condiments, cheeky gits.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
You must stipulate no bread, but then people i know did this at one place and got a charge for condiments, cheeky gits.
Complaimts book
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
It's nice to be able agree with Fortaleza But until you brought it up I hadn't noticed that we did this. Whenever we want a quick snack or can't be bothered to travel we stay in Spain - whenever we want a decent resto we go to Portugal.
Its probably just that I don't get out enough (before anyone flames me )
Old Jul 19th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Complaimts book
I know I am not letting this one go but I have to pay don't I? Even if I specified that we didn't want it? It wasn't taken away because it was in the basket with the cutlery that we were going to use for our main course. By the way, it wasn't the money so much as the principle of paying for something that you don't want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.