Restaurants

Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Don't know not been recently
Hey, a reply!
I asked this question because the sign for El Asiatico is on the 1st level - above the entrance to El Cocedero. Yet, I think the sign for El Cocedero still remains on the fanlight (ie. above it's entrance door). Just wondering if they are one & the same now.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hey, a reply!
I asked this question because the sign for El Asiatico is on the 1st level - above the entrance to El Cocedero. Yet, I think the sign for El Cocedero still remains on the fanlight (ie. above it's entrance door). Just wondering if they are one & the same now.
If that was the name of the restaurant with the fountain directly in front of it, then that is definitely closed now and is now the Restaurante Asiatico.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

jamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud ofjamesf has much to be proud of

I'm a big fan of Caves Do Guadiana in VR de St Antonio.

Only go there in the winter/coldish evenings as there's not much outside space so not a summer place. But great simple grilled fish (the best sort)

It's pretty much diagnally left of the ferry terminal and across the road.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
We were in Ayamonte 3 weeks ago and saw an advert for Noosh so thought we would give it a try.

When we found it mid evening it was deserted whilst others in the area were thriving, decided to give it a miss.
Yes, I have to say we agree. I have never seen Noosh looking remotely busy so we have always avoided it but restaurants / bars with a good crowd of locals in usually prove to have excellent food. Casa Vicente is a case in point - no menu (that I've ever seen) but we havee never been disappointed with a meal there

Last edited by Steve and Pat; Jul 6th 2009 at 8:26 pm. Reason: poor typing and to think I'm supposed to be a secretary - oh well!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

[QUOTE=Ayamontino

The reason the OP limited it to Ayamonte, I'm guessing, is because it is about Ayamonte restaurants under the Ayamonte sub-forum. Get with it and keep the subject on topic.

If you want to talk about restaurants in Isla Cristina why don't you start a thread in the Spain forum?[/QUOTE]

I would hope that this thread could also cover restaurants in and around Ayamonte. I'm equally looking for comments on places to eat in Isla Cristina, and destinations east, as well as across the bridge in Portugal.

Steve
Old Jul 7th 2009, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Restaurant Pezinhos n'Areia - on the beach at Praia Verde (next along from Monte Gordo. Haven't tried it myself but was highly recommended to try it (anyone else got a review?)

The other resto in Praia Verde is the Restaurant Panaramico - on the hill overlooking the sea at Praia Verde. A the name suggest if you want a gourmet priced meal with a spectacular view then this is for you. I enjoyed eating there until the cuanto when I struggled to see the VFM - maybe they just charge for the view
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve and Pat
I would hope that this thread could also cover restaurants in and around Ayamonte. I'm equally looking for comments on places to eat in Isla Cristina, and destinations east, as well as across the bridge in Portugal.

Steve
I suppose I should have been more clearer. I opened the thread on the Ayamonte sub-forum and NOT under Spain because I am more interested about Ayamonte and the surrounding area when it comes to eating out. I think everyone here would be interested to know about local eateries (even Isla Cristina and Portugal). So keep posting your opinions and share your information.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:52 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

How about a top three of (in your opinion) of the best and worst restaurants/eating places in the area? let´s restrict it to the Huelva and Algarve province.

My best three:

1) Casa Vicente, Ayamonte
2) Taj Mahal, Monte Gordo
3) Bar A3, Marina Isla Canela

Worst:

1) Hotel Riu Atlantico
2) Mexican restaurant, La Plaza, Ayamonte
3) Pizzeria Bella Napoli, commercial center Isla Canela
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jur
How about a top three of (in your opinion) of the best and worst restaurants/eating places in the area? let´s restrict it to the Huelva and Algarve province.

My best three:

Worst:

1) Hotel Riu Atlantico
Yikes, I have just lost total respect for you!! How can you say Taj Mahal in Monte Gordo when you yourself has said that you haven't been to Jags. Shouldn't you try your local first before recommending inferior Indian eateries. By the way, I will post mine tomorrow.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

tonyp is on a distinguished road

A while ago someone said there were a couple of good restaurants in Castro Marim?

I think they are owned by the ex owner of La Lota.

Anyone eaten there??

Thanks

Tony
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tonyp
A while ago someone said there were a couple of good restaurants in Castro Marim?

I think they are owned by the ex owner of La Lota.

Anyone eaten there??

Thanks

Tony
Hi, the places you are thinking about are in Monte Francisco. One is the Social Club which is run by Luis's wife and the other is Mestre Romulo which is owned and run by Luis (previously of La Lota). We eat there quite often and if you like typical Portuguese cooking (as we do) this is for you. Never had anything we didn't like and have introduced quite a few friends to it who have also enjoyed not only the food but the banter from Luis. Regards Bryony (
Old Jul 16th 2009, 1:21 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sharon B
Yikes, I have just lost total respect for you!! How can you say Taj Mahal in Monte Gordo when you yourself has said that you haven't been to Jags. Shouldn't you try your local first before recommending inferior Indian eateries. By the way, I will post mine tomorrow.
I just posted the restaurants I like and the ones I don´t. There are posters on this forum who like the food from the Riu Atlantico! I hope that they did not lose your respect as well!! . I can´t comment on Jag´s because I haven´t been there, you got that right. And he´s not an Indian restaurant anymore, he a bistro now.

Last edited by Jur; Jul 16th 2009 at 1:33 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jur

My best three:

Worst:

1) Hotel Riu Atlantico
Interesting, here are some of our favourites:-

Ayamonte:-
El Choco
La Rana
Nuevo Simon (Punta del Moral)

Eastern Algarve:-
Navel Association (VRSA)
Sem Espinhas (Manta Rota)
Casa Azul (Cacela Velha)

No No's:-
Bella Napoli
Old Jul 17th 2009, 7:45 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Restaurant Pezinhos n'Areia - on the beach at Praia Verde (next along from Monte Gordo. Haven't tried it myself but was highly recommended to try it (anyone else got a review?)

The other resto in Praia Verde is the Restaurant Panaramico - on the hill overlooking the sea at Praia Verde. A the name suggest if you want a gourmet priced meal with a spectacular view then this is for you. I enjoyed eating there until the cuanto when I struggled to see the VFM - maybe they just charge for the view
Very nice upmarket resto on the beach - be prepared to pay though. They are building a new resto next to it on this beach (at least thats what it looks like) so there will be competetion, it looks sympathetically done and wont spoil the views (I think) of the beach etc. The Panoramico has great views, is pricey also but has an interesting looking 'fish-fest' on Friday nights followed by live music. Havent tried it however.

As far as beach restos go, try the 'cabeco' beach, right next to Praia Verde, there are 2 there, the original Sem Espinhas (now also in Manta Rota and already recommended here) and O Pescador which does live music 'discos' on the beach in season. They have a prato do dia, and are very friendly people. We like them both, but if guests come we go to Sem's first. Easy to find, just head towards VRSA from Pria Verde turn off on the 125, its just a short distance on the right - keep driving on the tarmacced road, even though a bit rough, and you'll eventually get there. Its basically the next beach along. All the chiringuitos that weve tried at the beach on the Isla Christina road are nice places. Great fish meal at Antonios at the Marina.

We like the fishing village next to Tavira, Santa Lucia, very nice little village the 'polvo' capital of Europe and a nice place to visit for a meal and wander around seeing the fishermen bringing in the catch, or mending nets etc. You'll find a couple of places on the road there - all worth it... even the snack-pub place...

Difficult for me to pick the top 3 as it depends on our mood, so I've posted regularly on the ones we enjoy (just search on my name, please dont ask directions for each one here!). I think I alerted the forum to Luis new resto in Monte francisco, Maestro Romulo, GREAT value for money lunches and the closest to CE. Jags of course is well appreciated for a high quality meal - or curry with a good wine list. We like Quitapenas best for Tapas + Ambience. Although the 1st stop for us on arrival is lunch at Puerta Ancha and just sit in Laguna and look at the place and trees etc. El Barrio for the atmosphere and the possibility of a great group evening out in a very local place with great value for money (I celebrated a big birthday there in June and had 10 adults and 5 grown kids - good fun). For a good steak try Bodequitas and go for the Solomillo - but be hungry, BTW the chef there has worked with a big michelin starred chef in France. O Caseiro on the 125 is nice too for a value for money lunch. Head from the new roundabout next to Praia Verde direction M-Rota and cross the next roundabout and just after the Altura sign you'll see it on the right. Always lots of cars parked there - so we knew it would be good. We even like the Big House outside Cartaya for a good value 'chinese' meal, with some sushi too, that I demolish! As I say it depends on the mood. We also love having a beer or coffee at the Quinta do Vale golf club, just across the water. What a great view from the terrace - haven't tried the food.

Poor old Jur got told off for not mentioning Jags - but I don't think even Jag would expect everybody to vote for him - its not sacrilege to mention another resto! However my next comment WILL be sacrilege and I post it, in trepidation, of the slagging off I will get! The Mars bar, Manta Rota, for a burger anyway. We went there after a few weeks in CE - our mood was to have a big juicy burger after weeks of Spanish food. Went there early evening, we felt something was wrong when we tasted them, it also wasn't attractive looking for us either, but like an idiot I finished it anyway, some very nice people (strangers) and huge fans of Mars made a place for us as they saw we were uncomfortable there at a bad table, in the rain that started shortly after. And I guess I felt somehow obligated (plus I was v hungry). Idiot. I even went immediately (after dropping my wife off at home as she wasnt feeling good) to the golf club bar after to drink a couple of margaritas in the hope of killing off whatever was in there. I mentioned to a couple of people there in the bar, about it, and I really felt I was committing a sacrilege, to dare to criticise it! I've held my tongue (or typing fingers - silent since then out of fear!! ) Big fans everywhere, and maybe we had an unlucky moment. The truth is almost every post has been good, so don't let this overly influence you. Also my wife had no problem after and had a burger too, that she didnt finish, mine also had different toppings. I wont go into the week long problem I had and the fight I had with the Ayamonte emergency clinic to get the right medicine, fortunately (errr 'unfortunately', so I should know better) I have a long experience with this sort of problem - having lived + worked in Asia - and I know what to take.

We dont go to El Rincon, next to the GALP garage anymore, even though they have a value lunch menu - there are just too many better alternatives. Noosh or Nosh as they prefer to call it now, is something we never tried, as its always empty.

To end on a high note, Casa Vincente we havent tried - but never had a bad word, recomended here too, and Luciano opposite Eroski comes highly recommended - both are on the list for a later visit.

Remember 5 portions of fruit or veg a day along with a max of 3 units of wine - so make sure you eat lots of salads when you visit these places, and share a small carafe of wine

Jon
Old Jul 17th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Jon - I shall print it out and make a pilgramage to all you recommend when next over there (next month hopefully)
Mike J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.