Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Renting Information Required.

Renting Information Required.

Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:56 pm
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Renting Information Required.

Originally Posted by Domino
Well as the last time Britain was invaded it was by Vikings, but we absorbed them, before that the Normans and we absorbed them, and then of course the Romans were also absorbed. Along the way we picked up bits of their language. Thats why our language is a bit of a hotchpotch and is one of the most successful languages to ever exist.

So what is Spain's excuse, its only 200 years since you very nearly had to start speaking French - if it hadn't been for Arthur Wellesley and his band of prison rejects and cut-throats.
eeeehhh... maybe when you are talking some 1,000 years ago and population was quite small and distances quite large... (funny that SHY is a Vicking word, BTW!).

Sorry, Wellington is not one of my heroes, Badajoz Battle and all that...

Again... we'd better leave history behind... They are all dead and past is past.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 8:19 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evamar
I don't agree. One can make mistakes in grammar, and still be fluent. If one can speak 2 languages at mother tongue level then they are bilingual, not fluent. Normally only people with international parents or who have been exposed to both languages since they are little can truly achieve this.

If their English is good enough for you to understand them in nor particularly easy situations, then they are fluent. I don't expect foreigners to be able to speak and construct very complicated sentences that many natives wouldn't use... I just want to be able to communicate with them without performing mime, making too many stops to think and getting a dictionary all the time looking for words.

I make lots of silly grammar mistakes, but I think that my English is quite fluent. I know that it will never be perfect, I'm Spanish at the end of the day.
Yes your English is perfect, all the spaniards on here have perfect English, but I am refering to outside forumland. Actually you do very well, write as good as a native
Old Oct 7th 2011, 10:39 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evamar
eeeehhh... maybe when you are talking some 1,000 years ago and population was quite small and distances quite large... (funny that SHY is a Vicking word, BTW!).

Sorry, Wellington is not one of my heroes, Badajoz Battle and all that...
Again... we'd better leave history behind... They are all dead and past is past.
a place that has a bad history, made worse by Spaniard killing Spaniard.

as you say, best left alone.

rgds
Old Oct 8th 2011, 7:00 am
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes your English is perfect, all the spaniards on here have perfect English, but I am refering to outside forumland. Actually you do very well, write as good as a native
Thanks. It's far from perfect, it will never be as good as an educated native, but it's fluent enough and that was always my goal. Not bad for a dyslexic!
Old Oct 8th 2011, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
ah but the work isnt stamped, it was a favour.
My Spanish neighbour asked me to translate a book of cake and biscuit recipes for her, which I spent countless hours doing over the summer. I hope none of her family suffer upset stomachs or worse as a result of any mistakes I made, or maybe she will sue me!

Apart from giving me a project over the summer, it worked very well as aversion therapy, I was so sick of reading about cakes and looking at photographs of them that I haven't touched a cake or biscuit since!
Old Oct 8th 2011, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

My OH has a 1st in English literature and linguistics from an English university, so her English must be pretty good! A lot of her friends from school are also fluent in English

I think you just dont know many "wordly" Spaniards.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, I hope no Spanish forum members will copy this use of English - should read "write as well as a native".
Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:03 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
My OH has a 1st in English literature and linguistics from an English university, so her English must be pretty good! A lot of her friends from school are also fluent in English

I think you just dont know many "wordly" Spaniards.
Actually more than "know" them They all make mistakes even though some I would consider fluent.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Erm, I hope no Spanish forum members will copy this use of English - should read "write as well as a native".
mmm... I was thinking of posting that but knowing J2 it might have been post-ironic

or even may!

Last edited by fionamw; Oct 8th 2011 at 3:28 pm. Reason: hedging my bets
Old Oct 8th 2011, 4:03 pm
Banned

When you have run out of stuff to say by all means be pedantic. Now what were we talking about....would it be the usual stuff as to how good we all are at spanish
Old Oct 8th 2011, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

When you have run out of stuff to say by all means be pedantic. Now what were we talking about....would it be the usual stuff as to how good we all are at spanish
Well my family's bu&&ered off out so I'm faced with Strictly or BE.... hmmm... pedantry rules ko!

Anyone ever hears me saying I'm good at Spanish shoot me