Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Renting Information Required.

Renting Information Required.

Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:56 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renting Information Required.

What costs are there for renting in Spain? Does one have to put down a bond/deposit? And how much notice do you have to give to leave? Can you leave before the end of your contracted time?

I have never rented anywhere, in any country, so a complete beginner, so any information gratefully received. We have hopefully sold our house and intend to rent for several months in the winter.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting Information Required.

Originally Posted by scampicat
What costs are there for renting in Spain? Does one have to put down a bond/deposit? And how much notice do you have to give to leave? Can you leave before the end of your contracted time?

I have never rented anywhere, in any country, so a complete beginner, so any information gratefully received. We have hopefully sold our house and intend to rent for several months in the winter.

Thanks in advance.
Costs for renting: If direct with the landlord then zero. if with an agent then 2-4 weeks rent plus the cost of contract (about 100 euros)

Bond/deposit. In the tourist areas then probably just 1 month. In the Spanish cities then more likely to be 3-6 months although an aval bancario or proof of nomina can help reduce the amount of deposit needed

Notice. You will normally have to give 1 month notive to leave with a minimum term of either 6 or 12 months. You will have automatic right to the property for 5 years. In the touristy areas they may try and fob you off with a 12 month holiday contract. However, these are not legal if you use the house as a primary residence, so you will have the same rights as a full term contract anyway if you want them. In this case Spanish law is more important than contracts that actually break Spanish law
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:47 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Costs for renting: If direct with the landlord then zero. if with an agent then 2-4 weeks rent plus the cost of contract (about 100 euros)

Bond/deposit. In the tourist areas then probably just 1 month. In the Spanish cities then more likely to be 3-6 months although an aval bancario or proof of nomina can help reduce the amount of deposit needed

Notice. You will normally have to give 1 month notive to leave with a minimum term of either 6 or 12 months. You will have automatic right to the property for 5 years. In the touristy areas they may try and fob you off with a 12 month holiday contract. However, these are not legal if you use the house as a primary residence, so you will have the same rights as a full term contract anyway if you want them. In this case Spanish law is more important than contracts that actually break Spanish law
Thanks for that extremely useful advice. So contracts (unless holiday types) have to be 6 or 12 months long? We did not want to rent for that long.

Having said that, we have contacts in the area and there are lots of people who are desparate to rent their homes. Could these be legally rented (at long-term rates, not holiday rates) on a shorter contract if we made a deal with the owner? They would rather have some rent than none!

Last edited by scampicat; Sep 29th 2011 at 8:12 am.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:04 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that extremely useful advice. So contracts (unless holiday types) have to be 6 or 12 months long? We did not want to rent for that long.

Having said that, we have contacts in the area and there are lots of people who are desparate to rent their homes. Could these be legally rented (at long-term rates, not holiday rates) on a shorter contract if we made a deal with the owner? They would rather have some rent than none!
I'm not sure where cricketman got his information but I have to disagree with most of it!

Contracts can be of any length - depends upon the landlord. For example, as a landlord, I recently let an apartment for just 1 month whilst I have others which have been rented for nearly 18 months and still going. However, it may be hard to find a landlord willing to do such a short let and you will almost certainly have to pay more for the privilege.

Agents fees vary, in this area most charge about 12% of the annual rental figure. There is no additional charge for the contract.

Deposits again vary, but in this area the norm is one month's rent.

Notice periods will be written into the contract but are typically 1 month.

Whilst the tenant may have the right to remain for 5 years, if the landlord needs the property back as their main residence, then I think this does not apply.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:41 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I'm not sure where cricketman got his information but I have to disagree with most of it!

Contracts can be of any length - depends upon the landlord. For example, as a landlord, I recently let an apartment for just 1 month whilst I have others which have been rented for nearly 18 months and still going. However, it may be hard to find a landlord willing to do such a short let and you will almost certainly have to pay more for the privilege.

Agents fees vary, in this area most charge about 12% of the annual rental figure. There is no additional charge for the contract.

Deposits again vary, but in this area the norm is one month's rent.

Notice periods will be written into the contract but are typically 1 month.

Whilst the tenant may have the right to remain for 5 years, if the landlord needs the property back as their main residence, then I think this does not apply.
Thankyou for that information. It appears like anything else in Spain, the answer is, it varies!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:56 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

I have never paid for a contract in 8 years of renting

legally they can only ask a month rent & a month deposit - regardless of whether it's an agent or direct with the owner

usually a month notice is given on either side - some agents will try to insist that you stay til the end of a contract or pay till the end, but they can't make you

you only have automatic right to 5 years after the first 12 months

you are right, in that no matter what the contract says, if it is your only or main residence, then the LAU applies

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_d.../l29-1994.html

the google translate tool does a pretty good job with it, if anyone wants it in english
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:35 pm
Ex Expat

Thanks so much, the information from you and others on here, coupled with what other renters have told us, makes us feel more confident about the legal aspects of renting.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:10 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

If it's only for a short term, for example the winter months, why bother with a contract at all?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:13 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by HBG
If it's only for a short term, for example the winter months, why bother with a contract at all?
That would be even better!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 4:32 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

That would be even better!
What are you looking for and where? There may be someone on here who could help.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 4:36 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by snikpoh
What are you looking for and where? There may be someone on here who could help.
Nowhere until 2012 (we will hopefully be moving this winter) and we do have a few contacts in mind, but I will ask again nearer the time thanks.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I wasnt talking about short terms contracts, I dont know anything about those, sorry
Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:59 pm
Ex Expat

!no pasa nada!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:06 am
Just Joined

fargas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I have never paid for a contract in 8 years of renting

legally they can only ask a month rent & a month deposit - regardless of whether it's an agent or direct with the owner

usually a month notice is given on either side - some agents will try to insist that you stay til the end of a contract or pay till the end, but they can't make you

you only have automatic right to 5 years after the first 12 months

you are right, in that no matter what the contract says, if it is your only or main residence, then the LAU applies

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_d.../l29-1994.html

the google translate tool does a pretty good job with it, if anyone wants it in english
I'm afraid thats not true, agents can charge you with up to a 10% of the anual rent for their job, the owner agrees. If you dont' what to pay taht looks for individuals you are renting their flats directely.

The problem then is that you have to negotiate with them directely and many spanish people speak no word of english and use crappy old renting contracts.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:45 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fargas
I'm afraid thats not true, agents can charge you with up to a 10% of the anual rent for their job, the owner agrees. If you dont' what to pay taht looks for individuals you are renting their flats directely.

The problem then is that you have to negotiate with them directely and many spanish people speak no word of english and use crappy old renting contracts.
they might be able to charge - but I have never been charged

and according to the LAU a tenant only has to pay a month rent in advance & a month deposit - & I dare say some agents might charge a separate 'finder's fee' - but as I said - I have never paid one

I do prefer to rent directly from owners -& by far prefer a Spanish owner IME to an English one, on the whole

and since a contract has to be in Spanish to be legal - why indeed should they be able to speak English?

surely the onus is on us foreigners to speak Spanish, or get someone who does to help us?

Last edited by lynnxa; Oct 4th 2011 at 7:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.