Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Question re IPOD

Question re IPOD

Old May 11th 2006, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Question re IPOD

Originally Posted by YMF
We have been looking at this software Replay Music and an MSN Music subscription over the last couple of weeks, it seems to be a very cost effective solution to getting lots of mp3 that are yours to play as you want and on what you want. For approx £5 MSN allows you to stream as many tracks as you want and the software allows you to capture it.
Also like EMusic as a download site, they have mainly tracks from independent labels, you get 40 downloads a month for about £5.
Yvonne
I don't know about Replay, but I do use MSN as a sort of "pay as you go" music library, not for streaming but for actual downloads. It works pretty well and you can bang the content onto a cd when you've downloaded enough to make it worthwhile.
Old May 13th 2006, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No I'm not saying that. If you have 50 songs on itunes on the computer and you transfer them to your ipod then you have 50 songs on your ipod. If you then take those 50 songs off itunes and add another 25 different ones, when you try to update your ipod you will end up with only 25 songs on your ipod and the other 50 will be lost. So you have to leave your 50 songs on itunes and add your 25 to make 75 and then it transfers the 75 accross.

There is a way of getting around this but you have to get some software thats not issued by apple. Trust me ... we spoke to Apple and went on various sites as we thought we were doing something wrong. If you have 10,000 tunes then you have to leave your pc clogged up with em.
>> itunes

Aah, we can see where the problem lies. ;-)

It's predicaments like these that put me right off Apple. My MP3 player went for a burton recently, and my old PDA will play music, but doesn't have the capacity for much, nor can it take newer Memory Sticks, so I'm in the market for a new player. The Nano looks great, but seeing posts like yours just makes me very, very wary of splashing out. No way can I let iTunes control my usage of my player - I've way too much music for a straight 1:1 match with _any_ player, so I need to choose what goes on it and which PCs I keep original, backups and temporary copies.

Last edited by coralsoft; May 13th 2006 at 11:24 am.
Old May 13th 2006, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by glynis
I think I may have to wait for now as my computer is old and at the moment the hard drive sounds like a tank andI am sure will blow any moment. If so I will have to get a new PC and can then look at more MP3 options.
Glynis,
You may be doing this already, in which case great, but if you have anything on your PC that you want to keep (pictures, documents, letters, lists of favourites/bookmarks), then you should be backing it up. Now, before the disk goes kaput and you have to start from scratch.

The simplest option is to buy an external hard disk (cheap and useful for backups when you have your new PC and for travelling with). Follow disk backup instructions from your windows system and save data folders, "my documents and settings", etc, or make a straight copy of them, so that you can move them to your new PC when you get it.
Old May 13th 2006, 11:20 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coralsoft
>> itunes

Aah, we can see where the problem lies. ;-)
Is that a bad thing then?
Old May 13th 2006, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Is that a bad thing then?
Sorry, added a bit to my original reply message while you were replying...

I just see so many people unable to do the simple things they want to because of some limitation or other. It may be digital rights management (DRM), it may be 'we know best' settings on software, but it just worries me that I won't be able to play my music on whatever piece of equipment I choose to listen with at the time or that I'll lose some. I didn't go through enough downloading to develop 'mouse elbow' just to have to go through it all again because of a bad choice of player/software. :scared:

I'll stick with seeing the player as a new drive, copying over album folders & playlists as I need them, and keeping master and backup copies on separate disks in separate locations.

The players look great, the software gets raved about. But then people post these strange messages about how they're having grief...
Old May 13th 2006, 12:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

The players look great, the software gets raved about. But then people post these strange messages about how they're having grief...
Well according to others on here it can be done, but I agree with your concerns. However you only have to worry really if you have a space concern on your pc hard disc.
Old May 13th 2006, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Glynis,
You may be doing this already, in which case great, but if you have anything on your PC that you want to keep (pictures, documents, letters, lists of favourites/bookmarks), then you should be backing it up. Now, before the disk goes kaput and you have to start from scratch.

The simplest option is to buy an external hard disk (cheap and useful for backups when you have your new PC and for travelling with). Follow disk backup instructions from your windows system and save data folders, "my documents and settings", etc, or make a straight copy of them, so that you can move them to your new PC when you get it.
Good Point but I have no idea how to do this? Sorry. I sound a complete idiot I know.