Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Question re IPOD

Question re IPOD

Old May 9th 2006, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Question re IPOD

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I bought my daughter a 40gb model for her birthday as shes music mad. She has hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of cds, and they are all on her ipod now (still only half full). The one thing that is annoying is that unless you can find the correct sneaky software you have to keep all the songs on the computer, because if you don't and you update it with a new cd the update overwrites the songs on the ipod so you end up with just one cd recording on the ipod!!!
Dear Lord, much as my love of gadgety gadgety things, I think you've just put me off Ipods for ever. That and seeing a girl wearing one with a t-shirt on, it was strapped to her arm. I swear that initially I thought it was some sort of heart regulator or other medical device! How cool does that look?
Old May 9th 2006, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

I saw a man with it the other day...yr right it does look like a heart monitor. Great Invention though!

Running not my thing! More chilling by the pool when i eventually have some spare time
Old May 9th 2006, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my daughter a 40gb model for her birthday as shes music mad. She has hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of cds, and they are all on her ipod now (still only half full). The one thing that is annoying is that unless you can find the correct sneaky software you have to keep all the songs on the computer, because if you don't and you update it with a new cd the update overwrites the songs on the ipod so you end up with just one cd recording on the ipod!!!

wrong - you haven´t set it up right on itunes - you can ADD to whats already on there you dont have to UPDATE it each time.

are you saying that you have to format and replace all the songs each time you add more ? you´re doing it wrong my son

do you want to know how?
Old May 9th 2006, 6:28 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
wrong - you haven´t set it up right on itunes - you can ADD to whats already on there you dont have to UPDATE it each time.

are you saying that you have to format and replace all the songs each time you add more ? you´re doing it wrong my son

do you want to know how?
No I'm not saying that. If you have 50 songs on itunes on the computer and you transfer them to your ipod then you have 50 songs on your ipod. If you then take those 50 songs off itunes and add another 25 different ones, when you try to update your ipod you will end up with only 25 songs on your ipod and the other 50 will be lost. So you have to leave your 50 songs on itunes and add your 25 to make 75 and then it transfers the 75 accross.

There is a way of getting around this but you have to get some software thats not issued by apple. Trust me ... we spoke to Apple and went on various sites as we thought we were doing something wrong. If you have 10,000 tunes then you have to leave your pc clogged up with em.
Old May 9th 2006, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

are you sure ?

Originally Posted by friend of bfg69bug
if you ipod is syncd to the pc ok and you have itunes open then you should be able to no problem.

Just go to 'file', 'add file to library' and go to the folder on your pc where your music is.

If you arnt keeping the files on the computer and dont want the ipod to try and update(as in updating by taking all the tracks off the ipod as u have none in itunes) you can set itunes to not automatically update. got to 'edit' 'preferences' click on the 'ipod' tab then set it to 'manually manage songs'. This should stop the ipod automatically updating and allow you do do it all manually as above.

hope that helps

Old May 9th 2006, 10:22 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

are you sure ?

All I can tell you that (a) apple and (b) an apple ipod forum both said it cannot be done
Old May 9th 2006, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

have you tried this ?

If you arnt keeping the files on the computer and dont want the ipod to try and update(as in updating by taking all the tracks off the ipod as u have none in itunes) you can set itunes to not automatically update. got to 'edit' 'preferences' click on the 'ipod' tab then set it to 'manually manage songs'. This should stop the ipod automatically updating and allow you do do it all manually as above.

???
Old May 9th 2006, 11:09 am
Senior Moment

have you tried this ?

???
Yes ..... thats what you posted above
Old May 9th 2006, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

nevermind then, ignore my advice and keep replacing all the songs each time you update it

of course i know nothing about ipods so why should you listen to me ?
Old May 9th 2006, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Gadget is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Question re IPOD

All I can tell you that (a) apple and (b) an apple ipod forum both said it cannot be done

HI

try this website:-

http://www.hymn-project.org/

That may help you.

This may also help you

http://ottodestruct.com/blog/2005/10...s-javascripts/

It CAN be done, as I have done it before, but I use a Mac. Try searching the internet and you will come up with an answer.

Cheers

Gadget
Old May 9th 2006, 8:28 pm
Senior Moment

nevermind then, ignore my advice and keep replacing all the songs each time you update it

of course i know nothing about ipods so why should you listen to me ?

Off you go again, just because I took advice from Apple and the apple forum I have to be wrong and you have to be right again

To be honest Its no big thing as its my daughters ipod and she does what she wants. She doesn't replace the songs, she just adds to the library. And I think she prefers to keep the library there on itunes also in case the ipod is damaged or stolen.

Chill will you!!
Old May 9th 2006, 8:30 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Gadget

It CAN be done, as I have done it before, but I use a Mac. Try searching the internet and you will come up with an answer.

Cheers

Gadget
Thanks Gadget ... Yes I seem to remember I was told it could be done with a MAC
Old May 9th 2006, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Off you go again, just because I took advice from Apple and the apple forum I have to be wrong and you have to be right again

To be honest Its no big thing as its my daughters ipod and she does what she wants. She doesn't replace the songs, she just adds to the library. And I think she prefers to keep the library there on itunes also in case the ipod is damaged or stolen.

Chill will you!!
fair enough, suit urself mitz, i was just trying to help ya out.

so glynis, have you thought about an ipod type device any more?
Old May 9th 2006, 11:22 pm
Senior Moment

[QUOTE=bfg69bug]fair enough, suit urself mitz, i was just trying to help ya QUOTE]

I know you were, and your input is much appreciated.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that she invested in a "docking" speaker system for the ipod and the sound was really quite good. So much so that she stopped using her stereo system as it was easier just to have the ipod than carry her DC collection around with her to Uni and back.
Old May 11th 2006, 10:24 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

We have been looking at this software Replay Music and an MSN Music subscription over the last couple of weeks, it seems to be a very cost effective solution to getting lots of mp3 that are yours to play as you want and on what you want. For approx £5 MSN allows you to stream as many tracks as you want and the software allows you to capture it.
Also like EMusic as a download site, they have mainly tracks from independent labels, you get 40 downloads a month for about £5.
Yvonne

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.