Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Question re IPOD

Question re IPOD

Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Question Question re IPOD

HELP

I am completely ignorant of ipod and computer technology, but, saw one working at the weekend and was really hooked. Went into website but Apple said I needed Windows 2000. Unfortunately my computer is Windows 98. Does that mean if I bought an ipod it wouldn't work?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:52 am
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all
Default Re: Question re IPOD

Originally Posted by glynis
HELP

I am completely ignorant of ipod and computer technology, but, saw one working at the weekend and was really hooked. Went into website but Apple said I needed Windows 2000. Unfortunately my computer is Windows 98. Does that mean if I bought an ipod it wouldn't work?
They are very good, my kids would be lost without them. unfortunately the Ipod uses "itunes" a piece of software supplied by apple, this only runs on pc's with win 2000/xp or newer. win 98 is not supported. .However, I have been told that there is 3rd party software available for a price , which allows you to copy songs from a CD to the ipod. best to do a Google and search for ipod software.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 2:48 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

There are several IPOD third party utilities that are compatible with the IPOD & Windows 98.

I would recommend having a look on the forum on : http://www.ilounge.com/
Old Apr 10th 2006, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
There are several IPOD third party utilities that are compatible with the IPOD & Windows 98.

I would recommend having a look on the forum on : http://www.ilounge.com/
I have looked at this and feel like a caveman looking at Einsteins Theory of Relativity!!! Can anyone tell me what this means in very simple childlike terms.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:04 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

I have looked at this and feel like a caveman looking at Einsteins Theory of Relativity!!! Can anyone tell me what this means in very simple childlike terms.

Hehe Ok I've made the application decision for you!

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/

Grab that and all your ipod with win98se dreams will come true!!
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:24 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Hi Glynis
I have noticed that Anapod has a free trial version, maybe download that first and see if it works on your computer before buying the whole thing. Sadly I dont have an IPOD either otherwise I could come around and see if it all synced ok.
Yvonne
Old Apr 14th 2006, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Glynis,
You are opening yourself up to a world of frustration and anguish if you go down any sort of non-standard route. Whilst Apple iPods in particular are great if you only do the standard stuff, if you don't know what you're doing, any deviation from the path of 'normal' usage will waste huge chunks of your life.

The number of times I've read of people losing music, being unable to listen to some tracks or not having access to some music.... and not knowing enough to get around the issue.

MP3 players are fantastic and the iPods are particularly good for hand-holding, but I'd advise you to read the manuals thoroughly and _only_ do what they say. Stay on the path, accept the limitations of that path and be prepared to learn before you stray from it. There are plenty of resources for advice on players, software, downloading and trouble-shooting, but it's better if you keep it simple.

Buy a player that doesn't depend on proprietary software installations or install XP or Win2000 (I have a 1998 PC running this, so I'm sure you could upgrade if you can find a copy) or buy a new PC with everything set up.

Good luck and don't come asking your technical-disaster questions here.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by coralsoft
Glynis,
You are opening yourself up to a world of frustration and anguish if you go down any sort of non-standard route. Whilst Apple iPods in particular are great if you only do the standard stuff, if you don't know what you're doing, any deviation from the path of 'normal' usage will waste huge chunks of your life.

The number of times I've read of people losing music, being unable to listen to some tracks or not having access to some music.... and not knowing enough to get around the issue.

MP3 players are fantastic and the iPods are particularly good for hand-holding, but I'd advise you to read the manuals thoroughly and _only_ do what they say. Stay on the path, accept the limitations of that path and be prepared to learn before you stray from it. There are plenty of resources for advice on players, software, downloading and trouble-shooting, but it's better if you keep it simple.

Buy a player that doesn't depend on proprietary software installations or install XP or Win2000 (I have a 1998 PC running this, so I'm sure you could upgrade if you can find a copy) or buy a new PC with everything set up.

Good luck and don't come asking your technical-disaster questions here.
Okay, executive decision made. I am going to buy a Creative mp3 1gb. Have tried to buy one on ebay and missed out but will try again. I thought for £30 if it doesn't work I haven't lost a lot. Either that or wait until I go to Gib.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

steve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to all

Okay, executive decision made. I am going to buy a Creative mp3 1gb. Have tried to buy one on ebay and missed out but will try again. I thought for £30 if it doesn't work I haven't lost a lot. Either that or wait until I go to Gib.

Glynis Gib arn't that much cheaper or the same price as UK, if you want drop me a PM & i will bring you one over in june if you can wait that long let me know
Old May 8th 2006, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Just to let you know, I just bought an Ipod for my husband for his birthday.

I bought the 4gb nano ipod from FNAC and it is FANTASTIC. I had no idea whatsoever how it worked or anything and now I am hooked and want one for myself.

The sound is amazing. The one with video 30 gb is great too but it is that little bit heavier and bigger that stops you being able to put in in your pocket etc.

Im not a gadget person at all, but I love this!
Old May 8th 2006, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by j0197
Just to let you know, I just bought an Ipod for my husband for his birthday.

I bought the 4gb nano ipod from FNAC and it is FANTASTIC. I had no idea whatsoever how it worked or anything and now I am hooked and want one for myself.

The sound is amazing. The one with video 30 gb is great too but it is that little bit heavier and bigger that stops you being able to put in in your pocket etc.

Im not a gadget person at all, but I love this!
I'm a huge gadget person but have resisted the Ipod. I have heard them and was hugely impressed by the quality when played through a pretty sophisticated speaker set up. I have downloaded music (from the dreaded Microsoft) onto my laptop and bought a cheap pair of additional laptop-dedicated speakers to add to the harman/kardon ones incorporated into the computer, and for a fraction of the price have been really impressed by the sound quality. Not up to party volumn or anything, but pretty good.

I don't really want music on the go, as it were. I'd be tempted by the Ipod/Bose system if it wasn't such an expensive combination. Keeping the bose in Spain and carry the Ipod between there and the UK.
Old May 8th 2006, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think I may have to wait for now as my computer is old and at the moment the hard drive sounds like a tank andI am sure will blow any moment. If so I will have to get a new PC and can then look at more MP3 options.
Old May 9th 2006, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

i have a "venturer 40GB mp3 player". admitedly not as pretty as an ipod.. but why pay 300 pounds for an ipod when mine cost 90 for twice the size?? hmmmm

look on ebay - dont stick to ipods, you are paying for the name.

i wouldn´t actually recomend an ipod anyways - you can only use it on one PC, so if you put all your music off the pc onto it, you cant then go to your friends pc and take all theirs as well - it wont let you. thats an "ipod thing" to combat copyrights. with mine there is none of that and i can get my music from anywhere and update it from anywhere. i´ve only ever seen / been in contact with 2 ipods.. and both have died its not a good sucess rate i dont think.

but then.. if you really must have an ipod.. there are some good deals about - i wouldn´t bother with anything smaller than 20GB, you´ll fill it too easily - 10/15 cds is about a GB, and i´m sure you´ve got more than 30 cds to put onto it, a 2GB one is gonna be full with no space for more music ?

gib is NOT cheap for ipods. the uk is better, america even more so. the powers of ebay or www.amazon.com are great
Old May 9th 2006, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

I did read that they die quite quick, but then I read good things too. It is amazing how many songs you suddenly put on it. we have room for 1000 but thats enough I think, considering I just listen to the same songs over and over again, sad I know!

If you are buying one for a present you can get it engraved with the persons name on the apple website (i think)

Also make sure you buy a cover, they scratch easily. The arm band is great for when you go running too!
Old May 9th 2006, 12:42 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j0197
I did read that they die quite quick, but then I read good things too. It is amazing how many songs you suddenly put on it. we have room for 1000 but thats enough I think, considering I just listen to the same songs over and over again, sad I know!
If you are buying one for a present you can get it engraved with the persons name on the apple website (i think)
Also make sure you buy a cover, they scratch easily. The arm band is great for when you go running too!
I bought my daughter a 40gb model for her birthday as shes music mad. She has hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of cds, and they are all on her ipod now (still only half full). The one thing that is annoying is that unless you can find the correct sneaky software you have to keep all the songs on the computer, because if you don't and you update it with a new cd the update overwrites the songs on the ipod so you end up with just one cd recording on the ipod!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.