Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pros, Cons, Crime

Pros, Cons, Crime

Old Feb 24th 2010, 4:49 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pros, Cons, Crime

Sticking my head over the parapet, I can say that I felt safer in Estepona and Mijas Costa, and Denia and Benidorm, than I do here in Torrevieja. My own personal statistics prove that too.

But that could be my own fault, I’ve chosen to live in a slightly unsafe location because of all the other benefits – it’s much cheaper, my wife’s earning capacity is much higher (she’s an interpreter), and my house in Mijas Costa or Denia would cost twice as much.

If it was in Benidorm, the grounds would be big enough to build another Hotel Bali.

(I wonder if I could get planning permission)?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pete_l
Actually crime is going DOWN in the UK. However, fear of crime (due mainly to the obsessive reporting and glamourisation it gets in the media - nothin' sells copies better than a good murder ) is increasing
But, but what about all those Polish immigrant thugs who are supposedly coming across and stealing everything?! Surely, these statistics lie!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

problem in cds and other tourist areas most petty crime is unreported to the police so figures are lower,my first 3 years here,car broken into,bar broken into twice and apartment 3 times,last 8 years no probs secured stuff up and have no problem going out in fuengirola with my wife at any time of the year,but my wife who works in a busy tourist bar see the results of muggings all the time
usual stuff,be aware dont carry more than u need,punch the carnation sellers in the face,dont get drunk leaving lindas bar etc at 3am without looking around,dont leave handbag ever on a seat or on floor,that sort of stuff
Old Mar 1st 2010, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

My Colombian husband uses a phrase which literally translates as "giving the thieves papaya", which is when you are asking for criminals to focus on you. I would never suggest that everybody is "asking for it" as I have had my bag snatched just walking along the street in Barcelona (incidentally one of the worst places for bag snatching I have ever encountered) but you can certainly avoid making yourself a target.

I am also always surprised at the fact that nobody steals the plants, etc in Spanish towns and cities, in the UK everything walks if it isn't tied down. For example, all those poinsettias in Malaga over Christmas, how long would they survive in a city centre in the UK?!!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:27 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
My Colombian husband uses a phrase which literally translates as "giving the thieves papaya", which is when you are asking for criminals to focus on you. I would never suggest that everybody is "asking for it" as I have had my bag snatched just walking along the street in Barcelona (incidentally one of the worst places for bag snatching I have ever encountered) but you can certainly avoid making yourself a target.

I am also always surprised at the fact that nobody steals the plants, etc in Spanish towns and cities, in the UK everything walks if it isn't tied down. For example, all those poinsettias in Malaga over Christmas, how long would they survive in a city centre in the UK?!!
How long would gates to a park like this last in the UK ?

Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:47 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Them there gates wouldn't last five minutes.. All that nice glass would be smashed and spray painted, gates weighed in at the scrappers, rabbits would have had dogs set on them, ducks and geese beaten, swans strangled, fences and bridges burned, cars parked in the lake along with numerous shopping trolleys. (For anyone that doesn't know, that park is full of rabbits and ducks and other nice things). I love England but know for a fact that I believe things are much worse over there than here. It will get a lot worse too because the governent is losing it's grip (has practically lost it) on what is important in society.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:19 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Did you live in a inner city dump? Are you aware that the wildlife in the park at Benalmádena has been killed several times and they have had to repopulate it?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Did you live in a inner city dump? Are you aware that the wildlife in the park at Benalmádena has been killed several times and they have had to repopulate it?
Brits to blame again?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:58 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Nope not in a dump. I notice that the gates are still there though, so is all the nice glass. There is barely a trace of grafitti (if any) in the whole of the park. (Including the childrens play area which no doubt in the uk would be full of teenage mobs being all drunk and sick after 8pm). I do not believe that the animals were killed by people.. I would think more like killed by stray doggies. Or bigger wildlife. You would not be able to put that park in a similar spot in the U.k. It would be destroyed day after day after day.. ANYWHERE IN ENGLAND...!!! No matter how many pretty rabbits you had in there.
That's a fact..
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:09 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

If you look back in the spanish press you will find out that they were shot. This has happened more than once over the past few years. Believe what you want if it makes you happy, ignorance is bliss

Does anyone think that glass is a bit naff, looks a bit like something in Dubai!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:29 pm
HOODIE

[QUOTE=jackytoo;8385101]If you look back in the spanish press you will find out that they were shot. This has happened more than once over the past few years. Believe what you want if it makes you happy, ignorance is bliss

I've never heard of anything being shot in that park. Was trying to find a report on it but can't. I'm not ignorant but sometimes wish I was. Actually no I don't because I'd still be living in England saying "wow this country rocks".

It's not really about the animals anyway. It's the fact that the park in general is in a pretty good condition. The only dead animal I've seen there was a bird that had fallen from it's nest. Without any gunshot wounds. Of course you'll get the odd gun toting maniac anywhere in the world, hell bent on maming all the wildlife in the local park. It just seems that there are more of these idiots in some less hot climates (I'm getting tired of dumping on England but that's where I mean).
Ignorant I am not. Happy, yes I am.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

I agree that this park (and all others I have been to in the area, and that's a lot now!) is so incredibly well kept, it's so pleasant to go there, no hassles, even the teenagers are (relatively) polite and are certainly not hanging around waiting for you to accidentally catch their eye so that they can kick off... I agree that is a cheap shot to talk about England as if it is the worst place in the world, which it certainly isn't, but it really has changed so much since I was a kid (not that long ago but long enough). I think the worst thing about Spain (in terms of crime) compared to the UK is the pickpocketing, it's rife. But you don't hear about every second kid carrying a knife around (ok, ok, someone is bound to mention the dodgiest barrios in Seville or whatever but you get my drift). Both countries have their levels of crime, it isn't like comparing say Spain and Switzerland...

And just to get something off my chest, why do some people on this forum have to see everything in black or white...?!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
I'm not ignorant but sometimes wish I was.
:
Believe me, if you think you can elect yourself as a spokesman for the whole of the UK, you are truely ignorant.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
And just to get something off my chest, why do some people on this forum have to see everything in black or white...?!
Indeed! Bit like you saying nobody steals in Spain and everything thing in UK walks. You´re another of these that has intimate knowledge of the whole of UK. You´ve presumibly travelled all over England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland. Personally I have only been the victim of crime twice, and I´ll give you a clue where it was, it wasn´t in UK.
I am also always surprised at the fact that nobody steals the plants, etc in Spanish towns and cities, in the UK everything walks if it isn't tied down.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:09 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Seams they have left these gate alone and in good order... still they probably had trouble finding them eh?
Attached Thumbnails Pros, Cons, Crime-buckingham-gates-st-james-park2.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.