Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Priinet reception.

Priinet reception.

Old Oct 14th 2014, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Priinet reception.

Hi, My uncle is out at his duplex on M4 of ME. He had priinet installed today and this afternoon it was great. Able to watch UK tv on his ipad, but chatting to him this evening its running poorly. He has done a download check and its 0.5 mb on lower floor and 1.3 in main bedroom upstairs. They installed the aerial at the highest point on a pole attached to the chimney pointing to the shop - ( colinas.).
QUESTION: Do you all suffer a big drop off in the evening because there is insufficient bandwidth. Ie. Too many people trying to use the equipment available or is it maybe poor line of sight with his aerial. I'm a bit concerned because I wanted to get it installed but I'm a bit lower than him on M3 manzana.
I would be grateful to know how others experience the level of service with Priinet. Thanks. KEITH
Old Oct 15th 2014, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Luz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Priinet reception.

I am on ME too. Have Priinet 10 Mb option. Just ran speedtest from testmy.net and had 4mbps down and 2mbps up. The performance dropped off drastically yesterday but seems to be ok today.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Luz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the rough

Just ran 3 tests, results were between 2.8 and 3.4 download and 1.7 to 1.9 upload.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Priinet reception.

Hi Luz liver, Thats not great when you consider you have the 10 meg agreement. My uncle has the 6 megs which in theory should be plenty. 3 megs is more than enough to support video streaming, hence should not be a problem. Given that we are into low season now and occupancy is well down to summer it should be much better than that. I just wonder whether the line of sight to the transmitter is not great from ME, and it is attenuated. May I ask what manzana you are on. PM me if you prefer. Keith.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

M1. Speeds are all measured from lower floor.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

As with most things if you look hard enough you can find an answer that you like to any question. The 1st three answers to the google search "speed test" gave these results:
speedtest.net 3.43 down 1.36 up
btwholesale.com 4.34 down 1.14 up
broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk 3.85 down 3.03 up
All in the last 10 minutes. I use testmy.net because it gives the least favourable (generally) test results but it is my yardstick, anything over 2Mbps download is acceptable to me. If connection seems slow I can check testmy.net and understand if the speeds are better or worse than average (it gives you this info').
As to paying for 10Mbps, I have NEVER enjoyed connection speeds that I have paid for.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:40 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luz liver
As with most things if you look hard enough you can find an answer that you like to any question. The 1st three answers to the google search "speed test" gave these results:
speedtest.net 3.43 down 1.36 up
btwholesale.com 4.34 down 1.14 up
broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk 3.85 down 3.03 up
All in the last 10 minutes. I use testmy.net because it gives the least favourable (generally) test results but it is my yardstick, anything over 2Mbps download is acceptable to me. If connection seems slow I can check testmy.net and understand if the speeds are better or worse than average (it gives you this info').
As to paying for 10Mbps, I have NEVER enjoyed connection speeds that I have paid for.
I heard that there was a hiccup with Priinet this week but was sorted. The other thread goes into detail about testing and has shown that they solved earlier problems so I hope it was a one-off. Testmy is Imo the best to check streaming tv.

Jon
Old Oct 16th 2014, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hiccup is right. Running testmy.net this afternoon the results are all over the place. At one point I had 464Kbps download and (eventually) 7Kbps upload. Some tests timed out as they were taking too long. I am going to suggest to Priinet that they have some sort of status posting on their website so we know if there is a problem, that they are aware of it and that they are addressing it.
Spoke on the phone they ARE aware of a "small" problem and are trying to resolve it. We'll see.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Last test of the day.
Download: 331 Kbps Upload: 9 Kbps
No streaming tv tonight.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:23 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luz liver
Last test of the day.
Download: 331 Kbps Upload: 9 Kbps
No streaming tv tonight.
Gosh that awful, cant do anything with that! Its even way less than the 7Euro/month speed when people are away. I saw an email from them saying that they were fixing the problem.. but they better get a move on! My friend had a good speed the day after the hiccup... but looks like it was just a temp fix.

Jon
Old Oct 17th 2014, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Has anyone got any information on what the priinet problem is? I spoke to them yesterday in Spanish and was told it's a small problem that would be resolved soon. But today is worse than yesterday, I have download speed of just 10kbps. Which means that to load this page open the thread and get the reply box open took over 3 minutes. Nightmare!
Old Oct 18th 2014, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

seem to be quite a number of Priinet users on ME - I hope to join too in M7.
Mightn't it be an idea to suggest to Jorge that they install another repeater in ME? We could offer to promote the service more widely in reponse
Old Oct 18th 2014, 8:18 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeJ
seem to be quite a number of Priinet users on ME - I hope to join too in M7.
Mightn't it be an idea to suggest to Jorge that they install another repeater in ME? We could offer to promote the service more widely in reponse
I would certainly support another repeater having one at each 'end' of CE can only be good for us and them, and hopefully clear any 'dead spots' like I think it was BobD (sorry if wrong) has in his home ... mentioned on another thread.

However - again on the other thread most people were getting great reception, on testmy.net and also e.g whilst watching a HD video at the same time as eg BBC iplayer (to test 2 download streams).

http://britishexpats.com/forum/ayamo...-829560/page3/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/ayamo.../#post11347380

With less people in CE, I have to suspect that its a technical problem e,g breakdown of kit that once replaced will return up to the old 'acceptable service'

I hope!!!

Thanks
Jon

PS I just saw an email that came in just now saying its fixed... can we test tonight in peak time if poss please?
Old Oct 18th 2014, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

The only dependable way to measure your available speed is using a 'wired' device, wifi devices will never give an accurate reading. If you have a laptop or PC wired to your router this is the best way.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 8:41 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by calman014
The only dependable way to measure your available speed is using a 'wired' device, wifi devices will never give an accurate reading. If you have a laptop or PC wired to your router this is the best way.
I think what we have been trying to do here is test out a 'real life scenario' - with a 'proper' test plan for streaming TV (testmy.net + sling + HD streams etc). So far the testing we all have done on several occasions - have perfectly proved the point (either when working - or not).

If you can wire your device to the router you will get a better response, but not everyone can/has an ethernet connection all over the house, and so the tests I mentioned in the last post show some 'historical real life' results at peak hours and with multiple streams... Its exactly this that I personally need to see and what many people were waiting for before signing up. I also NEED a wifi service that delivers in the real world.

Lets hope they have fixed it and we can see similar results now - which if are repeated, especially in PEAK times - will give us a great alternative in CE. So far for me personally, for my kind of usage, Priinet is the best option, and some great news in 2014. But they have to deliver a continuous service and fix tech problems or eg kit breakdown quickly... or as we've seen a new thread starts up with dissatisfied customers (rightfully so)

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Oct 18th 2014 at 8:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.