Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Priinet reception.

Priinet reception.

Old Nov 14th 2014, 6:57 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Priinet reception.

Originally Posted by algarveandroid View Post
I dont have the priinet , but are clued up on routers.

In the admin screen look for DHCP clients list , everything that connects to the router will have one tied to a MAC id ,they are given an IP address by the router , usually 192.168.100.1 upwards or similar.

Every device that uses wifi will have one of these alphanumeric identifications , which is difficult to change , but not impossible for the determined.

MAc id is nothing to do with apple mac hardware , but is like a telephone number for the data to be sent from one mac id to tother.

So lets say you have a Smart Tv , go into the TV settings and its id will be listed , usually in the form d3adb33f0000 , o is zeros no letter , and so on.Take a note of it.

Go to tother items you connect to tinterweb with and search their settings for MAc ids in their settings.Note them down.

Turn on all items and connect to tinternet say a google page.Including smart phones , tablets , laptops , game consoles , make sure wifi is ON within their own settings.

Once you have a list of them all on paper , check out the Routers admin page for DHCP clients , they should all match up , if they dont and you have an unknown one....theres your dick turpin.

Now heres the good part , go into admin page again and set it to block the ****** , or dependent on firmare in the router , to only allow those on your list.Usually FOUND in DHCP advanced security settings.This is the best and most efficient way to block them.

You might find its not a bandwidth bandit at all , just bad installers blaming them for your bad connection.You might also benefit from hardwiring the devices rather than wifi , it makes a big difference for iptv and nas.
Wow ... thanks for the detailed info. Sorry but I'm not techie enough to understand it all.

The only thing I must repeat is that you cant log in and do anything on the Priinet (adapted) router. Their software stops that.. I couldn't even log in to change the wifi password. . Something, that one hand is good (as I mentioned) .... but not for what you are recommending.

Hence me suggesting buying a new router where you have access to everything. I realise that hardwiring is better.. but its a shame to do that, and actually we should get that EASILY, on wifi - if they achieve their 'sales blurb'. When it works, it works great
on wifi and no unsightly wires. So they have the capability to deliver on wifi... but 'something' happens stopping it being a 24/7 service (for us)

The 'bandits' may or may not be there.... as I still have problems with SDTV (sadly).. Even after their fix. I really hope its not an excuse, as these guys are very nice people. HDTV is more hungry too..... but we want that, and Priinet should deliver that TWENTY FOUR hours a day.... Streaming HDTV, no pixxelation, etc.... on WIFI.... it is what we are paying for.

I'm giving it / them a bit more time. This is LOW SEASON, so I should not be having ANY problems as there is less being used up by others.... but Patience is starting to wane (Sadly)

Jon

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Nov 14th 2014 at 7:00 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:02 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by algarveandroid View Post
Anyone got a pic of the Priinet box , but cover the mac id when you post it.
Its a rebadged TP link box....... details above

JOn
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

algarveandroid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl View Post
Wow ... thanks for the detailed info. Sorry but I'm not techie enough to understand it all.

The only thing I must repeat is that you cant log in and do anything on the Priinet (adapted) router. Their software stops that.. I couldn't even log in to change the wifi password. . Something, that one hand is good (as I mentioned) .... but not for what you are recommending.

Hence me suggesting buying a new router where you have access to everything. I realise that hardwiring is better.. but its a shame to do that, and actually we should get that EASILY, on wifi - if they achieve their 'sales blurb'. When it works, it works great
on wifi and no unsightly wires. So they have the capability to deliver on wifi... but 'something' happens stopping it being a 24/7 service (for us)

The 'bandits' may or may not be there.... as I still have problems with SDTV (sadly).. Even after their fix. I really hope its not an excuse, as these guys are very nice people. HDTV is more hungry too..... but we want that, and Priinet should deliver that TWENTY FOUR hours a day.... Streaming HDTV, no pixxelation, etc.... it what we are paying for.

I'm giving it / them a bit more time. This is LOW SEASON, so I should not be having ANY problems as there is less being used up by others.... but Patience is starting to wane (Sadly)

Jon

Jon
I suspect they are over subbing , hence the drop off , using a non standard access admin account doesnt prevent hacking....just the reverse , compared to my listing above of the standard way to prevent unwanted access.

Wifi is good for occasional use , but gets washed out by devices and other routers , not just your own , and not just on the same spectrum... more so if your not using good gear , but instead adapted firmware with off the shelf hardware as I think they are doing.

Dedicated wired should be installed already in CE I would think , and for using with a smart tv would only aid in ensuring better playback , and would mean your still free to use wifi for other things like email.

But one also has to watch your bandwidth , android devices and the push , pc auto updating software like java , virus killers and so on....this all goes on these days without ones notice , and does take down the bandwidth causing more preloads , buffering , of iptv.

ITs a pity that getting into the router isnt easy , as there is also other things to be of use , VPN , namebench and so on.NAmeBEnch is particularly good for speeding up things like normal internet , by enabling the changing of dns to better servers in the router.

Take a pic if you can of front , back and underside of their unit , blur the mac id so I can do more searching for you and pm.

There really is no reason why they would not allow admin access unless they are a dodgy company , the head end is where the security is , and simply cloning boxes would make no difference if their software is running at the back end correctly.

The first test for head end is log on , checks validity of sub , cross checks limits every 24 hours.IF there was like old UK cable modem hacks , the software would kick all boxes in under 24 hours with the same id using a bandwidth max usage check.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Seen that Jon , tplink is ok , 300mbps is on the edge as mentioned if your connected to a slingbox your might be struggling unless its wired.

Easy test for you , connect the laptop if you have one via wired , turn off latops wifi , to the router and test your iptv....no buffering , no problem , equals wireless strength problem.EDIT should also unscrew antennas to max the data to the wired connection for this test.Far simpler than switching off any other devices.

Not the greatest I have the previous model , using a 3g dongle instead , most devices connected at 300 on tplink equipment , still finds the concrete a bitch.Ended up using wired for the Smart tv and andy box.

You can also try a new set of antennas on the router , some of the tech shops sell them and the just screw into the same screw sockets , couple of euros from amazon.Current ones are 5dbi , you can get 14 dbi online.

Last edited by algarveandroid; Nov 14th 2014 at 7:47 pm. Reason: amazon antenna for router link
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Amazon.com: HDE® 16 dBi 2.4GHz WIFI Antenna: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: HDE® 16 dBi 2.4GHz WIFI Antenna: Computers & Accessories

Should work for router , similar to my own

Note I am actually using tplink own version aftermarket antennas

Last edited by algarveandroid; Nov 14th 2014 at 7:49 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Just to compare and contrast, has anyone any experience or reputation for Guardiana Antenneas? They have a big advert claiming Satellite Internet at the entrance to CE and I keep seeing their van(s) around town.

As to priinet, ISTR asking what capacity their downlink is some time ago. I honestly cannot see how your signal can be compromised between your masthead receiver and the router unless they can break into your cable. If Priinet don't have sufficient capacity hence what you may be experiencing may be throttling caused by over-subbing as suggested above, as their customer base is building. A number of businesses and bars are using Priinet as well, just sit in Laguna Square and see how many. If the supply pipe (ie downlink capacity) is not big enough for their success then maybe they need to increase it?
Just saying.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 8:22 am
BE Positive

As its getting techie: And maybe putting people off, I suggest we switch to PM, but I think this summary covers the problem.

Genuinely, thanks so much algarveandroid (AA) for all your input. Buying a better antenna is a great idea worth pursuing. I reckon if I spent another year messing about with Priinet, I wont know half of what you know about routers. Mike you too a mine of info (as ever!)

However, with all due respect - I don't think its anything to do with the router.
  • If I had the best router in the world, it wont make a bad signal better.
  • If Priinet can deliver only 60% of what I pay for (10MB) AND the router 'overhead' is as much as 50% reduction, I would still have what I need for streaming TV. MY slingbox only needs a STEADY MINIMUM of 600kb/s to run SDTV.
  • The ONLY test Ive found that actually delivers a 'proper' result, seen in actual viewing experience is testmy.net. They download actual data till the stream can hold a download speed for 5 seconds.
  • Streaming TV is real time ... so if there is a glitch in speed - you see it immediately on the screen.
  • The test also gives a graph of the variation on speed from the norm, Ive had over 80%!
  • I liken it to a hosepipe: Squeeze the end and it comes out faster, but theres no extra volume of water coming out. A bucket fills up no quicker. In this case something is affecting both (1) the speed and (2) volume.... and I'm afraid with priinet the 'water' is (3) 'spluttering' as well, when it splutters low.... the TV picture is clearly broken

However recall my PRIMARY problem. According to priinet, it is possible to steal the signal before the router. I find that weird too, as mentioned, but the receiver is an active device powered all the time by me.. perhaps some clever barstweard can steal it, it seems there was another case on CE too. I doubt that priinet are lying to me.. I certainly hope not!

Also priinet are totally maxed, especially after one of the owners fell of the roof seriously injuring his back. Why would they come over for 2.5 hours to change the receiver if it wasn't the problem?

Also on this forum we've seen all sorts of really good 'proper' tests (including e.g watching HDTV, and BBC at the same time) - and people are happy. It could well be that - as priinet say - there is a thief on the line! They have all sorts of testing software and showed me that there was signal being taken.

So I have to believe them.... and even if I don't, its clear to me that the signal coming to the router for whatever reason is variable: Great some of the time, useless at others (for real time streaming TV - where you need a minimum download speed and VOLUME). Downloading or email for example work fine with a signal that varies. TV doesn't.... you see the pixellation immediately.

Also:
  • When its working fine (like right now) I get streaming TV perfectly on wifi, or with a cable attached.
  • When its working bad (like yesterday) it bad on either wifi or when I attach the ethernet cable. Note we are paying for a wifi network through our flat that meets speed and volume standards, on the WIFI equipment they put in.. that's the deal I (and everyone else) signed up for.

So I have to conclude its a bad signal coming in - either as someone is stealing it, or its just bad in the first place. Nothing to do with the router as when its working - it works fine... and we get a good signal over the apartment and even onto the terrace.

I was in 19H the other day, early and no-one I could see was using the net, I tested theeir priinet speed there on my Windows smartphone (which till now) has concurred with the same tests on my PC and BH's ipad. It was really slow. Either they are having the signal nicked as well.... or its just a problem with SPEED AND VOLUME throughput from Priinet

They have goodwill from me as they have been so reactive and helpful, and I want to believe them, but frustration is rising.

However my BH was seriously mad at me standing on the roof tiles, holding the ladder - especially as there has already been a serious accident of one of them sadly falling off the roof!

Thanks for all the help and advice, stuff way over my knowledge base, but putting on my deerstalker and playing the detective, I put the problem down to the input signal, not the router. (When I switch routers it stays the same)

Again THANK YOU for all the wonderful input and time spent trying to help with this annoying problem
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Nov 17th 2014 at 8:30 am.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

As its getting techie: And maybe putting people off, I suggest we switch to PM, but I think this summary covers the problem.

Genuinely, thanks so much algarveandroid (AA) for all your input. Buying a better antenna is a great idea worth pursuing. I reckon if I spent another year messing about with Priinet, I wont know half of what you know about routers. Mike you too a mine of info (as ever!)

However, with all due respect - I don't think its anything to do with the router.
  • If I had the best router in the world, it wont make a bad signal better.
  • If Priinet can deliver only 60% of what I pay for (10MB) AND the router 'overhead' is as much as 50% reduction, I would still have what I need for streaming TV. MY slingbox only needs a STEADY MINIMUM of 600kb/s to run SDTV.
  • The ONLY test Ive found that actually delivers a 'proper' result, seen in actual viewing experience is testmy.net. They download actual data till the stream can hold a download speed for 5 seconds.
  • Streaming TV is real time ... so if there is a glitch in speed - you see it immediately on the screen.
  • The test also gives a graph of the variation on speed from the norm, Ive had over 80%!
  • I liken it to a hosepipe: Squeeze the end and it comes out faster, but theres no extra volume of water coming out. A bucket fills up no quicker. In this case something is affecting both (1) the speed and (2) volume.... and I'm afraid with priinet the 'water' is (3) 'spluttering' as well, when it splutters low.... the TV picture is clearly broken

However recall my PRIMARY problem. According to priinet, it is possible to steal the signal before the router. I find that weird too, as mentioned, but the receiver is an active device powered all the time by me.. perhaps some clever barstweard can steal it, it seems there was another case on CE too. I doubt that priinet are lying to me.. I certainly hope not!

Also priinet are totally maxed, especially after one of the owners fell of the roof seriously injuring his back. Why would they come over for 2.5 hours to change the receiver if it wasn't the problem?

Also on this forum we've seen all sorts of really good 'proper' tests (including e.g watching HDTV, and BBC at the same time) - and people are happy. It could well be that - as priinet say - there is a thief on the line! They have all sorts of testing software and showed me that there was signal being taken.

So I have to believe them.... and even if I don't, its clear to me that the signal coming to the router for whatever reason is variable: Great some of the time, useless at others (for real time streaming TV - where you need a minimum download speed and VOLUME). Downloading or email for example work fine with a signal that varies. TV doesn't.... you see the pixellation immediately.

Also:
  • When its working fine (like right now) I get streaming TV perfectly on wifi, or with a cable attached.
  • When its working bad (like yesterday) it bad on either wifi or when I attach the ethernet cable. Note we are paying for a wifi network through our flat that meets speed and volume standards, on the WIFI equipment they put in.. that's the deal I (and everyone else) signed up for.

So I have to conclude its a bad signal coming in - either as someone is stealing it, or its just bad in the first place. Nothing to do with the router as when its working - it works fine... and we get a good signal over the apartment and even onto the terrace.

I was in 19H the other day, early and no-one I could see was using the net, I tested theeir priinet speed there on my Windows smartphone (which till now) has concurred with the same tests on my PC and BH's ipad. It was really slow. Either they are having the signal nicked as well.... or its just a problem with SPEED AND VOLUME throughput from Priinet

They have goodwill from me as they have been so reactive and helpful, and I want to believe them, but frustration is rising.

However my BH was seriously mad at me standing on the roof tiles, holding the ladder - especially as there has already been a serious accident of one of them sadly falling off the roof!

Thanks for all the help and advice, stuff way over my knowledge base, but putting on my deerstalker and playing the detective, I put the problem down to the input signal, not the router. (When I switch routers it stays the same)

Again THANK YOU for all the wonderful input and time spent trying to help with this annoying problem
Jon
Hi Jon
I agree with your analysis - however, I fear that the problem may be more fundamental than the local signal distribution which we have been discussing recently. Namely the net capacity of the priinet base station.

I can't understand what reason anyone would have for 'hacking' into your masthead box, presumably the box decodes the priinet encrypted signal and sends it to your router in 'clear' (as the priinet solution does not have a separate decoder box - like Sky for example - just a standard router in your premises). So a hacker is attempting to bypass the encryption/licence controls - but a box which would allow the 'clear' signal to be rebroadcast would be a pretty useless piece of kit - the 'clear signal should only appear on the cable to your router - so, the only logical point where the 'clear' signal could be nicked would be from your router, and you have effectively ruled that out. (the only suspect would be your next door neighbour )
[PS, I am trying to use a logical explanation rather than a techy one ]
Old Nov 18th 2014, 12:56 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
Hi Jon
I agree with your analysis - however, I fear that the problem may be more fundamental than the local signal distribution which we have been discussing recently. Namely the net capacity of the priinet base station.

I can't understand what reason anyone would have for 'hacking' into your masthead box, presumably the box decodes the priinet encrypted signal and sends it to your router in 'clear' (as the priinet solution does not have a separate decoder box - like Sky for example - just a standard router in your premises). So a hacker is attempting to bypass the encryption/licence controls - but a box which would allow the 'clear' signal to be rebroadcast would be a pretty useless piece of kit - the 'clear signal should only appear on the cable to your router - so, the only logical point where the 'clear' signal could be nicked would be from your router, and you have effectively ruled that out. (the only suspect would be your next door neighbour )
[PS, I am trying to use a logical explanation rather than a techy one ]
HI Mike

I am sure you are right about the base station thing. But frankly for me this is an academic discussion, the reasons aren't as important: I just need my cable going to the router being able to ‘squirt out’ enough internet 24/7. I am convinced that (for whatever reason) this is the problem and so I wont mess with the router.

I just want streaming TV 24/7 – as like now I am doing the insomniac thing. Last night it was down again, I went to Monday Club and set up TV for the BH.... but it was bad. When I returned and reset everything it was still bad again, so I switched it off we had a glass of wine and a chat... and read books! (Not so bad I suppose )

Now late at night its OK for TV at 3MB/s

Priinet have their reasons/explanation but at least they admit a problem and will send somebody today. Lets hope this puts an end to all this!!

Lets review.
  • Priinet started and there was a huge demand for their service, which on paper is great for many people. Certainly is for us (if it works!!!) and a step up from the great TMN dongle.
  • They had teething problems and made a system fix/upgrade a few months ago. Response was great and several people on the forum tested and gave positive feedback.
  • The minute there was another problem (eg +/- a month ago) a new thread was started on the forum complaining about poor service. They had some problem that was fixed in a few days.
  • Maybe in low-season there’s not that many people here – but I am the ONLY one complaining. Kind of adds credence to their explanation... but actually I dont really care for a reason... I just want what I paid for ... In fact if they could deliver just 30% of what I pay for 24/7 as a minimum, I would be OK. So I am not asking for the earth! (BTW I am at 30% right now and as I say - the TV is OK)

I have a niggly feeling that they somehow ‘turned the volume down’ a bit as its low season, maybe to save money. But I have no proof – or even know if that is possible.... again its academic (for me). Interesting to chat about, but bottom line is the service 24/7.

I am not convinced about their explanation, but if they can sort it out its all I need.

Its getting to be a drag and I fear that there is ‘something else’ behind the scenes....

Lets see what happens today...

Thanks for the continued interest... I know you are reviewing priinet for yourself, (as are others) and I am sure you are dubious about it (at the moment).. as are any others reading this.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Nov 18th 2014 at 1:11 am.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

HI Mike

I am sure you are right about the base station thing. But frankly for me this is an academic discussion, the reasons aren't as important: I just need my cable going to the router being able to ‘squirt out’ enough internet 24/7. I am convinced that (for whatever reason) this is the problem and so I wont mess with the router.

I just want streaming TV 24/7 – as like now I am doing the insomniac thing. Last night it was down again, I went to Monday Club and set up TV for the BH.... but it was bad. When I returned and reset everything it was still bad again, so I switched it off we had a glass of wine and a chat... and read books! (Not so bad I suppose )

Now late at night its OK for TV at 3MB/s

Priinet have their reasons/explanation but at least they admit a problem and will send somebody today. Lets hope this puts an end to all this!!

Lets review.
  • Priinet started and there was a huge demand for their service, which on paper is great for many people. Certainly is for us (if it works!!!) and a step up from the great TMN dongle.
  • They had teething problems and made a system fix/upgrade a few months ago. Response was great and several people on the forum tested and gave positive feedback.
  • The minute there was another problem (eg +/- a month ago) a new thread was started on the forum complaining about poor service. They had some problem that was fixed in a few days.
  • Maybe in low-season there’s not that many people here – but I am the ONLY one complaining. Kind of adds credence to their explanation... but actually I dont really care for a reason... I just want what I paid for ... In fact if they could deliver just 30% of what I pay for 24/7 as a minimum, I would be OK. So I am not asking for the earth! (BTW I am at 30% right now and as I say - the TV is OK)

I have a niggly feeling that they somehow ‘turned the volume down’ a bit as its low season, maybe to save money. But I have no proof – or even know if that is possible.... again its academic (for me). Interesting to chat about, but bottom line is the service 24/7.

I am not convinced about their explanation, but if they can sort it out its all I need.

Its getting to be a drag and I fear that there is ‘something else’ behind the scenes....

Lets see what happens today...

Thanks for the continued interest... I know you are reviewing priinet for yourself, (as are others) and I am sure you are dubious about it (at the moment).. as are any others reading this.

Jon
Thanks for your patience Jon. I am afraid you are in the position of 'early adopter' so you will be the guinea-pig for all the problems (maybe you should arrange a discount as you had at the start) and the fount of all knowledge for those hesitating on the brink.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 9:03 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
Thanks for your patience Jon. I am afraid you are in the position of 'early adopter' so you will be the guinea-pig for all the problems (maybe you should arrange a discount as you had at the start) and the fount of all knowledge for those hesitating on the brink.
Hi Mike

Priinet didn't come yesterday - I got a text saying there was a personal matter. Jorge commutes daily (even weekends) from Seville. So I have to stay cool, we stayed close by for the visit. But could've gone off somewhere.

We didn't get a discount... they didn't ask for money till they felt the internet was operating to plan. After they made the big changes a few months ago, I got billed. This was the same for everybody I spoke to. And I never benefitted as I left the next day!! Timing awful for me (as usual)

However no names mentioned, some people are still not being billed as they aren't happy (I suppose...) so actually I missed a trick! Not getting annoyed about that, though I 'hiccupped' when I heard !

Please no.... I'm no 'fount' as you've seen re the router discussion, as Ive said way out of my 'knowledge base'. You and AA are the technical experts so far.

I am just actively sharing experiences, and was closely involved in the beginning. Using the forum to share info, which I hope helped people.

If this thing can work properly - then as Ive mentioned IMO this is one of the great-news stories of 2014. So happy to get involved and feedback publically ... (as others did too e.g the great and 'proper' testing + feedback and technical ideas) but its getting harder not to be 'narked'!

However from initially being very public that may have helped them, I wonder if I am now a thorn in their side? Each time I am here its virtually daily contact.... and I sometimes get mails/PM's asking to help... but I have absolutely no 'pull' with them. So I really cant help when I get them.

Thanks for your support.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Nov 19th 2014 at 9:11 am.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

David and Margaret is on a distinguished road

We are non- technical people, have Internet (priinet) working fine; the question is how do we go about receiving basic TV channels, ie BBC, ITV , etc?
We assume that this is achievable and have seen informed posts on downloading programmes, etc.
We would appreciate any advice; at present we are virtually clueless on the procedure!
David and Margaret.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by David and Margaret View Post
We are non- technical people, have Internet (priinet) working fine; the question is how do we go about receiving basic TV channels, ie BBC, ITV , etc?
We assume that this is achievable and have seen informed posts on downloading programmes, etc.
We would appreciate any advice; at present we are virtually clueless on the procedure!
David and Margaret.
Depends a bit on what you are starting with - but I assume that with the Priinet system you have WiFi in your property?

You then need a device which can download or stream IPTV (Internet TV) and connect to the broadband. This could be one of the following
  • Laptop or other PC and a means of connecting it to the TV
  • Android tablet and a means of connecting to TV
  • IPad tablet and means of connecting to the TV
  • Smart DVD/Bluray player with internet browser which can connect to the broadband
  • Smart TV with internet browser and connection to broadband
  • Specialist set top box connected to both broadband and to the TV
There are a number of ways to connect to the TV but the most common is an HDMI cable. Google have a device called Chromecast which plus into a spare HDMI socket on the TV and 'throws' the picture on your device (eg PC, phone, tablet etc). Apple have a device called, imaginatively, 'AppleTV' which does the similar thing for iPads etc.
The latest SmartTV and SmartBlu-Ray boxes may have WiFi capability to connect to the broadband. You can directly connect your router to your device with an Ethernet cable (which replaces the wireless link)

Now that you have an internet connected device connected to your TV.

Next you will to access the IPTV:
  1. The most straightforward way is to download and run Filmon on your PC/tablet.
  2. If you have a Smart Device it will have some apps built in for viewing for example BBC iPlayer. Note: the most complete set of built in apps for UK TV can usually be found on UK sourced Smart Devices - devices bought in Spain will usually have Spanish apps. Depending on your Smart device you can download and install other apps but as you say you are non-technical you may need some assistance.
  3. VPN or DNS.
    Strictly speaking the UK broadcasters are supposed to prevent people outside their licence area from receiving UKTV and so they will block your access if the recognise that your device is outside the UK. This is easily overcome by fooling the sender that you are in the UK [Note: this is technically piracy and dishonest, but everybody does it and few are caught] If your internet device has a browser - ie PC/tablet or Smart - then you can pay a small fee to an intermediary to provide you with a VPN (virtual private network, which is like a tunnel through the internet to the UK. The UK servers can only see the UK end of the tunnel and so believe that the request for service originated in the UK) or a DNS (Domain Name Server, which is an internet entity which translates hyperlinks into real internet addresses - so if your DNS server thinks it is in the UK then your request will appear to originate in the UK).

Once you have a VPN or DNS service in place then you can directly access, for example, the BBC or ITV or other programme provider and stream live TV direct to your TV.

Note: I have tried to describe this in non-technical terms so may have oversimplified - apologies to the technical purists. There are other ways you can get UKTV and a search of BE forums will reveal loads of threads describing how it may be done.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Mike

Just for clarity for non techies You do not need a DNS or VPN for Filmon
Old Dec 12th 2014, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

David and Margaret is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much Mike for your detailed explanation, advice and time spent in answering our query. Hopefully we'll soon be watching TV again! Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.