Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The price of beer

The price of beer

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:32 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default The price of beer

This site claims to give the price of a pint of beer in different countries. For example the UK

http://www.pintprice.com/region.php?...ingdom/GBP.htm

A lager in the UK is £2.80 on average. Obviously it's more expensive in somewhere like London (around 3.40 around my way in central London), whereas in Sheffield it's £2.68.

Spain is different A great variety of prices quoted, and of course the point is made that generally people drink smaller quantities anyway (and get a free pincho or tapa thrown in). Prices are alleged to be cheap in Tenerife

http://www.pintprice.com/region.php?/Spain/GBP.htm
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:21 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The price of beer

I wonder what percentage of the final cost to customer, is the basic production cost?
OK there's a lot of overheads both to the publican and the brewery, especially with the millions spent or wasted on advertising.
However the basic production cost must still be quite low, relative to the final selling price in pubs and bars.
The problem is in recent years, as ppl.drink less in the pubs and more at home,both pubs and breweries up the prices to try and maintain the same over the counter profit margin they had when pub sales were much bigger, and so it goes on,...more consumed at home,less consumed in pubs and higher still pub prices that hardly make sense anymore, although as shown above, the huge variation in prices is also hard to understand.
Fortunately many publicans turn to other things like food, however even there it is no longer easy, as so many are now into it, and the competition is constantly getting tougher.
Usually now,the price of beer is whatever the market will stand for any given pub, depending on how attractive the establishment is to punters.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:48 am
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the more expensive part of Lanzarote... so beer tends to be a little pricier with an average of €2.50 for una jarra (a large one). But the cheapest here is a fab little bar (Spanish) where you get a large beer for €1 and usually a couple of pieces of tortilla thrown in for good measure - not thrown into the beer itself of course!

Am out for dinner later tonight to a newly opened Italian restaurant... where sadly we will pay through the nose for a bottle of Pinot Grigio. Ah, but it's worth it for the good food and great company.

Elle xx
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
This site claims to give the price of a pint of beer in different countries. For example the UK

http://www.pintprice.com/region.php?...ingdom/GBP.htm

A lager in the UK is £2.80 on average. Obviously it's more expensive in somewhere like London (around 3.40 around my way in central London), whereas in Sheffield it's £2.68.

Spain is different A great variety of prices quoted, and of course the point is made that generally people drink smaller quantities anyway (and get a free pincho or tapa thrown in). Prices are alleged to be cheap in Tenerife

http://www.pintprice.com/region.php?/Spain/GBP.htm
Hi,
The price for a Pint of bear in Fuengirola / Mijas Costa is normally beween € 1,50
and € 3,50
When I am having a bear downtown Fuengirola I normally pay 1,50 at Toon Bar in the Fish Alley, but sometimes they have it reduced to one Euro. But most of the bars in Paseo Maritimo in Fuengirola charges € 2 - 2,50.

I did not know that the beer was so expensive in UK, that explains why there are so many brits on holiday here.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

Originally Posted by jonnyx
Hi,
The price for a Pint of bear in Fuengirola / Mijas Costa is normally beween € 1,50
and € 3,50
When I am having a bear downtown Fuengirola I normally pay 1,50 at Toon Bar in the Fish Alley, but sometimes they have it reduced to one Euro. But most of the bars in Paseo Maritimo in Fuengirola charges € 2 - 2,50.

I did not know that the beer was so expensive in UK, that explains why there are so many brits on holiday here.
That´s seriously good value. Bears are far more expensive on the other side of the mountain.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram
That´s seriously good value. Bears are far more expensive on the other side of the mountain.
I'm sure the cheapest beer in Spain is in the British run bars on the Costa Del Sol that are looking to drum up some trade. I've seen the 1 euro a pint signs on them, to go alongside the 2 euro English breakfasts (one can only imagine)

Most Spanish places that do not get tourists don't even sell pints, only canyas, tubos, medianas, medios etc etc (the names vary).

In my experience a canya varies from 1-2 euros throughout Spain, with the touristy bits of Barcelona and Madrid asking up to 3.50 for a canya. I once paid 8 euros for a bottle of Estrella Damn in a Barcelona nightclub, luckily it was on expenses

I'd say 1.50 euro is the average price for a canya which makes the beer in Spain about the same price as in the North of England, but cheaper than London
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:03 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cricketman
I'd say 1.50 euro is the average price for a canya which makes the beer in Spain about the same price as in the North of England, but cheaper than London
Interesting point - that with a 'pint' you get a pint and you can gauge/compare the price as the served unit is meant to be the same!

Are there official measures in Spain - is it governed at all ?

In Spain and in my experience, measurements/prices for beer/spirits vary a lot - I would say that 3 Canyas 'round our way would be less than a pint so at €1.50 a go that makes em' expensive !

Still as someone else pointed out - most of us are happy to sip our drinks - there's no rush to "get 'em down ya neck" as we do in UK !!

... and love how we percieve the price of a pint as a global measure on the ecomony / standard of living wherever we are in the World!

"Oh yeah! We had a great holiday in XYZ - Beer was a bit pricey though!"

;-)
Old Nov 4th 2010, 2:25 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The distance from the beer barrel to the cooler is something like three feet in Spain, in the UK it’s more like 30 plus. These pipes need cleaning more regularly, the longer they are, which adds to the price of the beer.

Spain has brewery outlets everywhere, within a short distance of most pubs and don’t need giant dreys to supply pubs from 50 miles away.

One Euro for a half-pint is the norm here, but more if you can see the sea. If you can hear it too, sky’s the limit.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 7:54 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HBG
The distance .... which adds to the price of the beer.
... surely in UK it's the DUTY that bumps up the price of anything Alco !?!?

... course we could all just drink less - I suspect most of us are anyway in these 'dark' times.... UK Pubs are struggling / closing and rely on food more than wet sales.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Checkala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really nice

Here on the Costa Blanca, beer goes from €0.30 per litre (Carrefour) to €0.23 per 33cl can (Lidl) to €1 for a "Benidorm Pint" (in fact half a litre or less) to €2.50 for a "jara" (a jug) in an ordinary Spanish bar to €3.50 in a greedy English bar or a fancy plastic sofa'd place away from Benidorm. Even €4.50 if the place is Swiss or German but then you pay for 20-25% foam as if you haven't enogh CO2 yourself.

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
... surely in UK it's the DUTY that bumps up the price of anything Alco !?!?

... course we could all just drink less - I suspect most of us are anyway in these 'dark' times.... UK Pubs are struggling / closing and rely on food more than wet sales.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

just too say the bars in fuengirola.benalmadena that do 1 euro a pint,its just the cheap canned beer from lidl,ok if you like that shit,ofc these bars dont last long anyway,its there last desparate go at getting a few customers in,never ever eat in these places
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:10 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Lager, the premium stuff, is nearly £4 a pint now on the moor and around here... not that I drink the shit, Lager drinkers are filthy creatures...
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: The price of beer

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Lager, the premium stuff, is nearly £4 a pint now on the moor and around here... not that I drink the shit, Lager drinkers are filthy creatures...
Hi,
Later today I will visit one or maybe two of my favourite bars in Fuengirola.
The first one will bee Toon Bar, its an English owned sports bar in the fish alley, just behind Paseo Maritimo. They serve a pint San Miguel (barrel) for € 1.50 and when they have happy hours for € 1. The second one is Bocachio a Spanish bar on the Paseo Maritimo with sea views they charge 2 Euro for a pint San Miguel (from barrel). But I do like to just sit there and watch the people.

The average price for a tubo or a caña in this part of Spain is € 1 - 1.20
But I know that some other parts of Spain is far more expensive.

Best regards from a sunny Costa del Sol.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:44 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnyx
Hi,
Later today I will visit one or maybe two of my favourite bars in Fuengirola.
The first one will bee Toon Bar, its an English owned sports bar in the fish alley, just behind Paseo Maritimo. They serve a pint San Miguel (barrel) for € 1.50 and when they have happy hours for € 1. The second one is Bocachio a Spanish bar on the Paseo Maritimo with sea views they charge 2 Euro for a pint San Miguel (from barrel). But I do like to just sit there and watch the people.

The average price for a tubo or a caña in this part of Spain is € 1 - 1.20
But I know that some other parts of Spain is far more expensive.

Best regards from a sunny Costa del Sol.
Errr... OK.... thats great, cheers.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 10:25 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I happen to agree, but the real idiots are those that drink the ‘real ale’. Can you imagine a 30ft pipe from a deep and filthy cellar where the silly little barrel has been exposed to the filth for 24 hours or more? It’s authentic all right, authentic shit.

It does have advantages if you’re constipated and are living alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.