Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The price of beer

The price of beer

Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:15 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The price of beer

Originally Posted by jimenato
Anyone mind if I mention the price of beer?

There was some confusion earlier on about measures. A pint is about 57cl. A tubo glass contains 33cl therefore two tubos is bigger than a pint and this is one of the reasons that I charge 1.20 for a tubo and 2.20 for a pint. A canya (I haven't got a Spanish keyboard either) doesn't have a specific size but generally it is smaller than a tubo - usually about 25cl. I someone asked me for a canya I would give them 25cl and charge them 1.20.

Incidentally has anyone ever seen a Spaniard finish a beer?
My prefered size is a tercio (33cl bottle) - I usually ordered this as the quantity of a tubo would vary. Must admit your price of 1.20 for a tubo is very competitive - I doubt you could get it for less than 1.50 in Madrid (and many central bars would charge 2 - 2.20, albeit with a free tapa).
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:36 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone mind if I mention the price of beer?

There was some confusion earlier on about measures. A pint is about 57cl. A tubo glass contains 33cl therefore two tubos is bigger than a pint and this is one of the reasons that I charge 1.20 for a tubo and 2.20 for a pint. A canya (I haven't got a Spanish keyboard either) doesn't have a specific size but generally it is smaller than a tubo - usually about 25cl. I someone asked me for a canya I would give them 25cl and charge them 1.20.

Incidentally has anyone ever seen a Spaniard finish a beer?
They leave a bit for God. Generally, a cana is the same as a tubo.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:39 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I understand the Belgians have the same practice with draught beers - the taste is meant to go a bit sour by the time you reach the bottom of the glass. Brits seem to have a more calculating attitude and try and get every last drop out of the glass - and woe betide you if you serve a Brit a pint which isn't full to the brim!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:40 am
Not Banned (yet)

I'm going to have stop reading this type of thread - I'll end up thirsty.

Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:56 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I know that there were other factors controlling the life spans of our forefathers, but drinking yards of sludge on a daily basis couldn’t have helped. The women didn’t do much better in those days, especially in London, they were knocking themselves out with cheap gin.

It’s a fact that a healthy Mediterranean diet prolongs your life, and real ale is absent from it.

I remember trying to integrate a few years ago down in Andalucia. A lot of the Spanish all around me drank ‘Calimucho’ (I’m sure the spelling is wrong), which was red wine mixed with Coke. It was horrible, and perhaps one of the reasons my integration attempt failed, again. I used to have to drive 20 miles for a decent pint of Fosters.
Unfortunately for the working guys back then I doubt if many of them could even afford a trip to the seaside, let alone a life of luxury down on the Med, so they just had to make do with what little they'd got.
The Mill and Mine Owners now,....well that was a different story.

In my book I wouldn't be classing a pint of Guinness or good stout as "sludge", however everyone to their own, and if you prefer gassed-up, glorified tap water...........
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:07 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Now for any of you guys looking for a serious drink, you could always head north of the border to bonnie Scotland and try a pint or twooooooo of Brewdog's "End of History" 55% alcohol beer,....or for the more conservative drinkers there's always Brewdog's "Sink the Bismark" at a more moderate 41% alcohol.

http://www.gizmag.com/brewdogs-55-ab...history/15798/
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:51 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
My prefered size is a tercio (33cl bottle) - I usually ordered this as the quantity of a tubo would vary. Must admit your price of 1.20 for a tubo is very competitive - I doubt you could get it for less than 1.50 in Madrid (and many central bars would charge 2 - 2.20, albeit with a free tapa).
There are 15 or so bars in our village. Most are typical working men's bars - steel counters, litter all over the floor and so on. They all charge a Euro for a tubo. Only ourselves, a hotel and a reasonable restaurant charge more - I think the other two are 1.25 a tubo.

Originally Posted by HBG
God is a beer drinker?
Old Nov 6th 2010, 1:07 pm
On the road again.

There are 15 or so bars in our village. Most are typical working men's bars - steel counters, litter all over the floor and so on. They all charge a Euro for a tubo. Only ourselves, a hotel and a reasonable restaurant charge more - I think the other two are 1.25 a tubo.

God is a beer drinker?
Well I feel so much better knowing that.
Don't mind having a pint with God any old time,...though I just hope he get's a round in once in a while.
Now I wonder if Bil leaves a drop in his glass for God ?
Old Nov 6th 2010, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

A tercio is a third of a litre, and in my area varies from 1euro to 1.30 from the pump with usually cacahuetes or olives on the side.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 8:03 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

God is a beer drinker?
In my immediate area, there are also 15 bars, the majority are British ones. They charge one Euro for a half-pint, unless they provide serious entertainment and some of them do, then it goes up to 1.50. I don't use them much but when I do I don't mind paying the extra - especially if Elvis is singing, or Neil Diamond. I consider Madonna too expensive at 1.50 and move on.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 8:59 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
A tercio is a third of a litre, and in my area varies from 1euro to 1.30 from the pump with usually cacahuetes or olives on the side.
I feel compelled to mention this. Some years ago three of us went to a Spanish bar and had the usual free tapas, olives and nuts to go with our drinks. We stayed for a while and when we got home we felt a bit queasy.

The next morning we were desperately ill and required emergency treatment. We had all drunk different drinks and knew that the free tapas were to blame.

Eventually a consultant informed us that the tests on the free tapas confirmed that 15 different kinds of urine were found on the samples.

I don’t eat free tapas any more, I pay for fresh ones that haven’t been recycled a hundred times.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 9:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I feel compelled to mention this. Some years ago three of us went to a Spanish bar and had the usual free tapas, olives and nuts to go with our drinks. We stayed for a while and when we got home we felt a bit queasy.

The next morning we were desperately ill and required emergency treatment. We had all drunk different drinks and knew that the free tapas were to blame.

Eventually a consultant informed us that the tests on the free tapas confirmed that 15 different kinds of urine were found on the samples.

I don’t eat free tapas any more, I pay for fresh ones that haven’t been recycled a hundred times.
There must be a lot of Brits go in there then asking " Oi givvus anover beer john" to have 15 different waiters pissing on the tapas
Old Nov 6th 2010, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

We took a window shopping walk down Champs Elysees during our visit to paris last month. Decided to stop for a drink. Jim had a one beer for 13 euros and I had a tiny coffee (if you can call it that) for 5 euros......
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:10 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
There must be a lot of Brits go in there then asking " Oi givvus anover beer john" to have 15 different waiters pissing on the tapas
Free tapas in Benalmadena, you’ve got to be joking. The whole place is full of Brits, it’s about as Spanish as Clacton. And it’s not the best quality of Brits either, they’re mostly arseholes.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:10 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
We took a window shopping walk down Champs Elysees during our visit to paris last month. Decided to stop for a drink. Jim had a one beer for 13 euros and I had a tiny coffee (if you can call it that) for 5 euros......
I found beer to be expensive all over France. I love the country and the people and I speak much better French than Spanish but I could never live anywhere where the beer is so expensive and where everything closes at 7.30.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.