Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The price of beer

The price of beer

Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of
Default Re: The price of beer

Originally Posted by willmore View Post
We took a window shopping walk down Champs Elysees during our visit to paris last month. Decided to stop for a drink. Jim had a one beer for 13 euros and I had a tiny coffee (if you can call it that) for 5 euros......
Twenty years ago we paid 18 pounds for two beers on the Champs Elysees and quickly found out that Paris bars have 3 prices, standing inside, sitting inside and sitting outside. We never dared to sit on a terrace again and certainly not on the Champs Elysees.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 1:50 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The price of beer

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair View Post
Twenty years ago we paid 18 pounds for two beers on the Champs Elysees and quickly found out that Paris bars have 3 prices, standing inside, sitting inside and sitting outside. We never dared to sit on a terrace again and certainly not on the Champs Elysees.
You'll find that bars in cities like Valencia, Barcelona, Madrid etc have a surcharge for service on terrazas. Part of it is because they have to pay a large license fee to the council, sometimes several thousand Euros per month I don't know what the Plaza Mayor fee to the council is, but the beers there certainly aren't cheap (although perhaps not 18 pounds for 2 beers).