Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Speed Limit

New Speed Limit

Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:21 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Speed Limit

Originally Posted by betris
DD you sound like one of them green people.I have one next door to me.every time I do a oil change in my 5 ltr jeep I pour the old oil down the grid and sling the oil and deisel filters in the bin.boy does he moan.
Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking, if I swallowed all of your posts.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I take your point, however I'm not only considering the taxation issue but also avoiding excessive fuel consumption to help the green point of view.
Modern torquey 2 ltr diesel engines can comfortably handle just about anything from a domestic point of view, incl.the Spanish mountains and small trailers.
There may be a few exceptions I agree, but most who really need something more substantial than that, generally have commercial interests.
Modern torquey 2 ltr diesel engines are also quite expensive.
Technology improves and new vehicles are much more powerful than older ones, but does that mean everyone should replace their cars every couple of years just to take advantage of technological improvements? I drive an old Jeep, and yes it's a big engine, but I've had it for years and it's done me well all this time. Surely I am being more "green" by holding onto it rather than scrapping it and buying a new one? Not that I can afford to buy a new car even if I wanted to, although I'd be happy to swap my old Jeep for a nice new one. Don't suppose that the govt will be offerring deals like that though, you know, to encourage us old-timers to run more economical vehicles?
Instead we hear people coming out with totally unfair reccommendations for increasing the tax burden on "rich 4x4 drivers and their Chelsea Tractors", when us poor farmers are already paying more tax on the extra fuel we consume.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:46 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Modern torquey 2 ltr diesel engines are also quite expensive.
Technology improves and new vehicles are much more powerful than older ones, but does that mean everyone should replace their cars every couple of years just to take advantage of technological improvements? I drive an old Jeep, and yes it's a big engine, but I've had it for years and it's done me well all this time. Surely I am being more "green" by holding onto it rather than scrapping it and buying a new one? Not that I can afford to buy a new car even if I wanted to, although I'd be happy to swap my old Jeep for a nice new one. Don't suppose that the govt will be offerring deals like that though, you know, to encourage us old-timers to run more economical vehicles?
Instead we hear people coming out with totally unfair reccommendations for increasing the tax burden on "rich 4x4 drivers and their Chelsea Tractors", when us poor farmers are already paying more tax on the extra fuel we consume.
I drove ancient beat-up Land Rovers for many years in some pretty rough and steep terrain, doing just about every job imaginable, such as pulling farm trailers, farm machinery, heavy boxes with two sizable horses on board or several head of cattle,...you name it, in all sorts of adverse conditions.

Those early Land Rover engines were far from brilliant and couldn't even begin to compare with two litre jobs of the last ten or even twenty years, yet I never yet failed to complete a job due to insufficient power.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I drove ancient beat-up Land Rovers for many years in some pretty rough and steep terrain, doing just about every job imaginable, such as pulling farm trailers, farm machinery, heavy boxes with two sizable horses on board or several head of cattle,...you name it, in all sorts of adverse conditions.

Those early Land Rover engines were far from brilliant and couldn't even begin to compare with two litre jobs of the last ten or even twenty years, yet I never yet failed to complete a job due to insufficient power.
But that's my point. My old Jeep is perfect for what it does. How would replacing it for a new car be "green"? And why should I have to pay more tax just because it has a bigger engine?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:28 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by billgates
But that's my point. My old Jeep is perfect for what it does. How would replacing it for a new car be "green"? And why should I have to pay more tax just because it has a bigger engine?
Yes, I accept your point, ( providing of course you're not riding around in a 5 ltr job like our good friend Betris )
My point is that most ppl who are buying new, should have no need for anything bigger or thirstier than 2 ltrs.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Another stupid excuse of this useless government, of this mafia, to collect taxes. If there were justice, this mob should have a council of war for that they did to Spain, both at the economic level and in terms of image

No name

Last edited by Relampago; Mar 2nd 2011 at 1:11 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relampago
Another stupid excuse of this useless government, of this mafia, to collect taxes. If there were justice, this mob should have a council of war for that they did to Spain, both at the economic level and in terms of image

No name
Collecting taxes by lowering the speed limits?

While not being pro-PSOE, I am very much anti-PP.

PP are a disgrace to the country, putting it down at every chance they have. Over the past few months they said Spain would go the same way as Greece, Ireland, Tunisia and Libya unless PSOE were thrown out of government! They use every piece of bad global news to try and undermine confidence in the government.

The PP have no respect for democracy as is shown by their lying by blaming ETA for the Al Qaida bombings the day before the general elections and refusing to condemn corrupt politicians like Camps who have been proven by the Spanish judicial system to be corrupt and taking backhanders. Even the grandest PP of all, Aznar couldnt get enough of a*selicking the US and spent an incredible 15 billion euros on a motorway system in Madrid that noone uses.

Sorry, but during my time of being in Spain and consuming Spanish media, I can truely understand why there was a civil war in Spain, the PP are living proof of Spain's fascist past. Luckily a little over half of Spaniards have a brain and dont vote PP! (rant over)
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Collecting taxes by lowering the speed limits?

While not being pro-PSOE, I am very much anti-PP.

PP are a disgrace to the country, putting it down at every chance they have. Over the past few months they said Spain would go the same way as Greece, Ireland, Tunisia and Libya unless PSOE were thrown out of government! They use every piece of bad global news to try and undermine confidence in the government.

The PP have no respect for democracy as is shown by their lying by blaming ETA for the Al Qaida bombings the day before the general elections and refusing to condemn corrupt politicians like Camps who have been proven by the Spanish judicial system to be corrupt and taking backhanders. Even the grandest PP of all, Aznar couldnt get enough of a*selicking the US and spent an incredible 15 billion euros on a motorway system in Madrid that noone uses.

Sorry, but during my time of being in Spain and consuming Spanish media, I can truely understand why there was a civil war in Spain, the PP are living proof of Spain's fascist past. Luckily a little over half of Spaniards have a brain and dont vote PP! (rant over)
Then I talk to you, now I have to go. But you're wrong. The PP is not perfect, and is not to defend the PP, but this is the worst government we have since the end of Franco's dictatorship

I had never been so persecuted my rights, my freedom so curtailed. With this fascist government (which has nothing of left, nor worker nor spanish) we have gone back to the Medievo

Last edited by Relampago; Mar 2nd 2011 at 2:22 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Relampago - this shower of bozos is something out of the soviet. They are now pulling all the plugs, knowing that they are on the way out. The highest unemployment in Europe?
Son una verguenza y una desgracia.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 3:02 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
Agree with Relampago - this shower of bozos is something out of the soviet. They are now pulling all the plugs, knowing that they are on the way out. The highest unemployment in Europe?
and of course the PP would have done things Sooooo much better. Not.

Why is their symbol the seagull? Because it shits on everything.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah and thats all down to the PSOE surely. Nothing to do with the PPs policy of causing a constuction, housing and immigration bubble during their last time in parliament?

And Lenox, it was the PP's policy of ignoring the illegal housing sanctioned by the (mainly) PP local councils so they could pocket all the sales tax that made up 50% of all government revenue - while the local PP politicians lined their own pockets. It was when PSOE came in and made murmerrings of enforcing the housing regulation laws that it suddenly made the foreign press.

PSOE have been guilty of being too conservative and not passing more emergency laws to get the economy flowing again. The PP are guilty of being opportunistic, corrupt, fascist and anti-democratic.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've just come in and am checking mails and news. Here's two headlines from El País.
'El desempleo bate otro récord en febrero y alcanza los 4,3 millones'
and
'La destrucción de empleo retorna al peor momento de la recesión'
I haven't even looked at El Mundo yet...
I think the only people who benefit from this lot are the pringaos and - Andalucía excepting (ewhere, unbelievably, they are half on strike thanks to the Junta's 'enchufismo' - the funcionarios.

Pringar means 'to dip in grease', but you get the idea.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, I've just come in and am checking mails and news. Here's two headlines from El País.
'El desempleo bate otro récord en febrero y alcanza los 4,3 millones'
and
'La destrucción de empleo retorna al peor momento de la recesión'
I haven't even looked at El Mundo yet...
I think the only people who benefit from this lot are the pringaos and - Andalucía excepting (ewhere, unbelievably, they are half on strike thanks to the Junta's 'enchufismo' - the funcionarios.

Pringar means 'to dip in grease', but you get the idea.
Noone is denying the country is in a bad moment. Of course it is. But this was all caused by having a bad economic policy over the past 15-20 years of creating bubbles in non-sustainable economies. Basically from concreting over the country and handing out mortgages willy nilly

The US and UK did it too and are in just as bad a position. The employment problem is more prevalent in Spain for historical reasons and antiquated employment, self-employment and business creation laws which need reforming.

BTW, I know what pringao means, but I have normally heard this word to call someone something like a "nerd", "sucker" or "looser". What context are you using it?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 3:45 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Noone is denying the country is in a bad moment. Of course it is. But this was all caused by having a bad economic policy over the past 15-20 years of creating bubbles in non-sustainable economies. Basically from concreting over the country and handing out mortgages willy nilly

The US and UK did it too and are in just as bad a position. The employment problem is more prevalent in Spain for historical reasons and antiquated employment, self-employment and business creation laws which need reforming.

BTW, I know what pringao means, but I have normally heard this word to call someone something like a "nerd", "sucker" or "looser". What context are you using it?
Yes.That is the context I would use it in. Not the other way.

BTW I deleted the previous 2 posts because I the quotes seemed to be coming out wrong. And I dont want to be in Sh$t street again.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

The problem is that we have bad politicians. This is the truth. Please bring political British, Germans, Americans, French, etc. In any country, but to take this shit we have in Spain. They were the ones who sold out our industry to the highest bidder, in the great lie called European Union, which was the great story of France and Germany to have controlled the Spanish industry

I know the industry that we had before, as did before, and the great merit is that all companies that we had (many no longer exist, some were merged with other foreign companies like Pegasus; other purchased, as Balay with Bosch) etc, is that Spain managed industrial tissue (and in a dictatorship) without Marshall plan

The political class of this country is full of scoundrels, and some of the business sector, who prefer slavery and cheap labor rather than competitiveness and R & D. If Spain had followed the company policy of protectionism, for example, of Germany, if all our companies have evolved to the same extent, our industrial empire today would be one of the world's largest

Fortunately we still have something, but again, we have to change the political class of this country. A political class to install protectionism before trabajdor persecution. Until this not happens, we will always equal

For Zapatero, has not done anything since you installed in power, only to live of the economic inertia of the super-avit of the previous government. And not just content with that, but also has divided the country, has been a friend of terrorists, dictators, etc. Someone who govern according the situation (Gonzalez and Aznar were at least respectable people and with own policy)

For example: Before was the enemy of USA, and not now. And even do what they want the Yankees, and not investigating the death of Jose Couso and implement the law Sinde, yankee recommendation. The difference is that Obama despises him. And also the other European leaders

At least Gonzalez and Aznar are respected and recognized internationally. But this, not wants even in his own party. And speaking of the old guard of the PSOE, people like Leguina, Solchaga or Guerra

It is an apostate, a sell-homelands, senseless of State, of ridicule and shame, which has ruined my country, give our money to and of Somali pirates, etc. Since winning election in 2004, only prohibits censorship, etc. In all my life, I had never seen anything like with other government, only with this. Fascism. Pure and hard

And whoever says that is a lie, or living in Spain or is it just stupid

Last edited by Relampago; Mar 2nd 2011 at 4:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.