Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Speed Limit

New Speed Limit

Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Speed Limit

Here's the thing. I live in the country. There's no metro, no train, not much of a bus system. Maybe the State wants us all to live in cities, where we can walk to the nearest bar, shop or library rather than sedately drive about hoping that the cops - stationed on the only road - leave us alone.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:38 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Fascinating theory, even better than the one about rabbit hutches.
dick sit down.open a bottle and think about it.we are all getting hoodwinked.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:43 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
Here's the thing. I live in the country. There's no metro, no train, not much of a bus system. Maybe the State wants us all to live in cities, where we can walk to the nearest bar, shop or library rather than sedately drive about hoping that the cops - stationed on the only road - leave us alone.
hi.can you play a banjo.sorry when i think the campo i always think of "deliverance"and hill billys
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:24 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
hi.can you play a banjo.sorry when i think the campo i always think of "deliverance"and hill billys
I can assure you you'd be quite safe, well most of the time anyway, and we aint all that desperate for a shag. In any event unlike the US hillbillies we've always got the sheep to turn to.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:50 pm
Banned

I can assure you you'd be quite safe, well most of the time anyway, and we aint all that desperate for a shag. In any event unlike the US hillbillies we've always got the sheep to turn to.
sorry i didnt mean it that way.i ment "dueling banjo".and hilly billys like the clampets.and a big still in the tractor shed.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:37 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Please can we get back to the topic of speed limits.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Please can we get back to the topic of speed limits.
Nearly;-)
I think more trains to airports would cut the fuel used to get to airports and maybe offset our fuel use on the planes. Now that would make real sense. Oh and incidentally provide work for building the infrastructure. At least in Spain there's still space to do this.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:16 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Nearly;-)
I think more trains to airports would cut the fuel used to get to airports and maybe offset our fuel use on the planes. Now that would make real sense. Oh and incidentally provide work for building the infrastructure. At least in Spain there's still space to do this.
Well there's already a train link to Madrid airport (as indeed there is to Heathrow and Gatwick in London), and the AVE link will be in place 2012. But I'm not sure that you can justify new train lines to airports that are relatively quiet 6 months of the year. Malaga maybe stays busy all year. But surely a decent bus link is far more effective?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Well there's already a train link to Madrid airport (as indeed there is to Heathrow and Gatwick in London), and the AVE link will be in place 2012. But I'm not sure that you can justify new train lines to airports that are relatively quiet 6 months of the year. Malaga maybe stays busy all year. But surely a decent bus link is far more effective?
Not everyone lives in the capitals Stevie! And most airports, even relatively small ones, are now busier than you would imagine. and would be even busier if they had transport to them. Spain only has a 3 month 'low' period.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:44 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
dick sit down.open a bottle and think about it.we are all getting hoodwinked.
PML

Hoodwinked? Sold down the river, shagged and made to pay for the lubricant.

I heard a reference today to the UK gov thinking about raising motorway speeds to 80mph.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:39 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
PML

I heard a reference today to the UK gov thinking about raising motorway speeds to 80mph.
Possibly post #19 of this thread?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:55 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
PML

Not much point if UK drivers are slowing down to save fuel? Seems like the Spanish were ahead of the game? - well no, not quite the same thing if something is forced by law, as opposed to voluntary actions

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...save-cash.html
Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Would be a better idea to follow the UK lead and raise road tax on engine size and emissions.
Double the tax rate on 2ltr plus for family cars and treble it on 3 ltr plus.
Call the extra a surcharge to go direct to the tax collector and apply only to vehicles not registered for commercial purposes.
In this day and age most motors up to 2 ltrs are more than adequate for general domestic purposes and can comfortably cruise all day at the legal speed limit.

I wonder if the roads will be any safer or will the extra concentration of traffic at similar speeds cause more mishaps?

In any event most of Europe has been moving in this direction for quite a few years with even the Germans now having 120kph restrictions on most of their autobahns and 110kph in some cases.
Surely anyone with a big gas guzzler is already paying more in fuel taxes with the increased fuel consumption.
You think these people should be taxed again just for having a big engined car?

Some people do live in the campo and need a decent sized vehicle to tow trailers and get around their fincas in all weathers. We don't all spend our time cruising motorways.
If you hadn't noticed, the mountains of Spain reach almost to the coast, and there are a lot of people that live in the mountains.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:46 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Surely anyone with a big gas guzzler is already paying more in fuel taxes with the increased fuel consumption.
You think these people should be taxed again just for having a big engined car?

Some people do live in the campo and need a decent sized vehicle to tow trailers and get around their fincas in all weathers. We don't all spend our time cruising motorways.
If you hadn't noticed, the mountains of Spain reach almost to the coast, and there are a lot of people that live in the mountains.
I take your point, however I'm not only considering the taxation issue but also avoiding excessive fuel consumption to help the green point of view.
Modern torquey 2 ltr diesel engines can comfortably handle just about anything from a domestic point of view, incl.the Spanish mountains and small trailers.
There may be a few exceptions I agree, but most who really need something more substantial than that, generally have commercial interests.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:47 pm
Banned

I take your point, however I'm not only considering the taxation issue but also avoiding excessive fuel consumption to help the green point of view.
Modern torquey 2 ltr diesel engines can comfortably handle just about anything from a domestic point of view, incl.the Spanish mountains and small trailers.
There may be a few exceptions I agree, but most who really need something more substantial than that, generally have commercial interests.
DD you sound like one of them green people.I have one next door to me.every time I do a oil change in my 5 ltr jeep I pour the old oil down the grid and sling the oil and deisel filters in the bin.boy does he moan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.