Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Speed Limit

New Speed Limit

Old Feb 26th 2011, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Speed Limit

Apparently cigarette sales are down 33% over last month (since you can't smoke in any public places except, apparently, prisons and lunatic asylums). So, gotta get those taxes/fines from somewhere...
Old Feb 27th 2011, 12:24 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Would be a better idea to follow the UK lead and raise road tax on engine size and emissions.
Double the tax rate on 2ltr plus for family cars and treble it on 3 ltr plus.
Call the extra a surcharge to go direct to the tax collector and apply only to vehicles not registered for commercial purposes.
In this day and age most motors up to 2 ltrs are more than adequate for general domestic purposes and can comfortably cruise all day at the legal speed limit.

I wonder if the roads will be any safer or will the extra concentration of traffic at similar speeds cause more mishaps?

In any event most of Europe has been moving in this direction for quite a few years with even the Germans now having 120kph restrictions on most of their autobahns and 110kph in some cases.
I'm in agreement with this even though I drive a big engined 4x4. We don't need a car of this size but we chose to have it and I for one have no problem with paying more road tax for having it.
Speed in Netherlands increased from 120 to 130 km max so not everyone thinks slower is better. When I lived in France the speed limit was 130km/h but if it was raining you'd to drop your speed.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 12:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Would be a better idea to follow the UK lead and raise road tax on engine size and emissions.

You can't compare "road tax" between the UK and Spain.

In the UK it goes straight into the state coffers and is easy to administer. In Spain it is a municipal tax and can vary by up to 3 times between towns for the same car. It is based on "fiscal horsepower" which is loosely related to engine size but not emissions.

By far the greatest tax you will pay on a car (apart from IVA) is the initial registration tax which can be up to 14.75% of the vehicles value. As road tax is so low (typically under €100) this registration tax could account for more than the road tax paid over the life of the vehicle.

In the UK there is a basic charge to register a vehicle - about £45 if I remember.

In Spain the registration tax was recently changed for being based on engine size to being emission based.

No doubt the local road tax will follow suit but is not a simple change across so many different locations.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 2:21 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
I'm in agreement with this even though I drive a big engined 4x4. We don't need a car of this size but we chose to have it and I for one have no problem with paying more road tax for having it.
Speed in Netherlands increased from 120 to 130 km max so not everyone thinks slower is better. When I lived in France the speed limit was 130km/h but if it was raining you'd to drop your speed.
In The Telegraph today

Speed limits on the motorway could be increased to 80mph in a bid to increase productivity, Philip Hammond, the transport secretary, has suggested.
Mr Hammond said that safety might no longer be the sole consideration in judging how fast cars can go and that gains to the economy from shorter journey times should also be taken into account.

Britain's maximum speed limit has been 70mph since 1965 and is lower than most in continental Europe.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 3:06 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Call the extra a surcharge to go direct to the tax collector and apply only to vehicles not registered for commercial purposes.
In this day and age most motors up to 2 ltrs are more than adequate for general domestic purposes and can comfortably cruise all day at the legal speed limit.

I wonder if the roads will be any safer or will the extra concentration of traffic at similar speeds cause more mishaps?

In any event most of Europe has been moving in this direction for quite a few years with even the Germans now having 120kph restrictions on most of their autobahns and 110kph in some cases.
good idia.a rabit hutch size house is ample for most.lets put a monthly tax on them like the uk.lets triple it for villas.its not the size of your engine that maters its the miles you do.and any way the more miles the more taxes you pay as nearly all the cost of a litre of fuel is tax.all this bullcrap is so you all go out and buy new cars.its jevons paradox
Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:29 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
good idia.a rabit hutch size house is ample for most.lets put a monthly tax on them like the uk.lets triple it for villas.its not the size of your engine that maters its the miles you do.and any way the more miles the more taxes you pay as nearly all the cost of a litre of fuel is tax.all this bullcrap is so you all go out and buy new cars.its jevons paradox
Difficult reading...

In France one doesn't pay road tax ; It is all included in the petrol price, so everybody using French roads, pays road tax.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:03 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje
Difficult reading...

In France one doesn't pay road tax ; It is all included in the petrol price, so everybody using French roads, pays road tax.
That always seemed the way to go for me.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:59 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
That always seemed the way to go for me.
It seems obvious doesn't it? There must be a reason they don't do it.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:22 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
It seems obvious doesn't it? There must be a reason they don't do it.
I guess it's the difference between running the country fairly and well, and simply running it to screw the maximum dosh out of the population.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I guess it's the difference between running the country fairly and well, and simply running it to screw the maximum dosh out of the population.
It's clearly not really anything to do with emissions. Getting traffic moving with the maximum efficiency is the thing which does that. On motorways it's 3 lanes with high limits on the outer one. In cities it's clear road markings and signage and in towns it's not having ridiculous one way systems where they are inappropriate. (some are appropriate but most aren't).
Good rail links are also a help. I love the Ave and welcome any reduced rail prices.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:55 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by angiescarr
It's clearly not really anything to do with emissions. Getting traffic moving with the maximum efficiency is the thing which does that. On motorways it's 3 lanes with high limits on the outer one. In cities it's clear road markings and signage and in towns it's not having ridiculous one way systems where they are inappropriate. (some are appropriate but most aren't).
Good rail links are also a help. I love the Ave and welcome any reduced rail prices.
Damn right. The slower I drive, the less fuel I use, and the more likely I am to fail the ITV on emissions.

Damned if you do....

Of course, if they REALLY wanted a serious public transport system, they'd make it free.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:07 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

sorry annetje i will try and explain.we are outside uk.uk is rip off uk.why do a lot of expats think things in europe should be the same as uk.they should sod off back to uk if they feel that way.the days of the british empire have well gone.people have the choice of cars so if you have say a 5 litre jeep and you only use it as little as posible because it uses 1ltr of fuel per 1 kilometer and you are spending 40 euros per week.they tax you and make it so you have to buy a more efficiant smaller car.work out the enviromental crap its cost to produce your new car.so now your new car is fantastic on fuel so now you are driving every where.1 litre per 10 kilometre so now your spend 50 euro per week but so does everybody ese.so now you have more conjestion.because we are all in our new fuel efficient cars.more cunsumption.because now its so cheap to drive.more enviromental damage because of the proccess start too finish in building them and disposing of the old cars so by forcing things on people for the grater good they make it worse.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:15 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

Of course, if they REALLY wanted a serious public transport system, they'd make it free.
So where would the money come from to pay for that little lot ?

In any event I think the vast majority of ppl who can afford to, would continue using their cars for the convenience of getting from point to point, rather than walk or wait around at bus stops and train stations and carting stuff around by hand.

Somewhat difficult to change the habit of a lifetime.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:21 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
sorry annetje i will try and explain.we are outside uk.uk is rip off uk.why do a lot of expats think things in europe should be the same as uk.they should sod off back to uk if they feel that way.the days of the british empire have well gone.people have the choice of cars so if you have say a 5 litre jeep and you only use it as little as posible because it uses 1ltr of fuel per 1 kilometer and you are spending 40 euros per week.they tax you and make it so you have to buy a more efficiant smaller car.work out the enviromental crap its cost to produce your new car.so now your new car is fantastic on fuel so now you are driving every where.1 litre per 10 kilometre so now your spend 50 euro per week but so does everybody ese.so now you have more conjestion.because we are all in our new fuel efficient cars.more cunsumption.because now its so cheap to drive.more enviromental damage because of the proccess start too finish in building them and disposing of the old cars so by forcing things on people for the grater good they make it worse.
Fascinating theory, even better than the one about rabbit hutches.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bil
Damn right. The slower I drive, the less fuel I use, and the more likely I am to fail the ITV on emissions.

Damned if you do....

havent you lot twigged yet.its all about maxemise the revenue.you are right bill.it should be free or cheap.i used to get the train to our city center.£1 each.then it shot up.then it was cheaper to go by car and a pay the parking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.