Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain ahead of Partner, help please

Moving to Spain ahead of Partner, help please

Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Spain ahead of Partner, help please

as for either of their infidelities that may or may not occur, then that too needs to be looked at as a potential possibility and not swept under the carpet as ofensive

Jo[/QUOTE]

As I said, there are no other options. Suppositions of the type being refered to are completely unnecessary and in this situation not amusing!

Last edited by Saxy; Jul 5th 2011 at 8:30 am.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:41 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
The forum is an open one so posts are directed at whoever reads it. Living in Spain on your own when you know no one, speak the language or understand the culture isnt easy. So pointing out all the possible issues, emotions and pitfalls is the right thing to do from both sides. You cant just point out the nice things and ignore anything you dont want to to hear. I personally am more concerned that the OP will need to get a carer if she has disabilities and that should be something she needs to look into fairly quickly - as for either of their infidelities that may or may not occur, then that too needs to be looked at as a potential possibility and not swept under the carpet as ofensive

Jo
Jo - right on

it has nothing to do with Spain, it applies to any\all countries outside the English language influence.
I am sure the poster will not hit me too hard if I say she obviously is not a bouncy teenager (oh what memories) and I know from my current mobility problems that it can be difficult to just get out in the morning, letalone negotiate a car or bus journey and plod round Al Campo and then get back home. To be surrounded by the cheerful chatter of hundreds, nay thousands, of locals can be like total disorientation. Even now it reminds me of my first visit to Singapore in my teens.

I think it is very brave to make the move complete with the dogs. Our plan involved OH making the move, getting settled and comfortable, el perro coming out by car about 9 months later. Regretably he and I were ill for several months and it took almost 2 years before loading him into car and driving down thru France. But OH also got the car and it has increased her independence and house hunting no end. But not all rentals allow pets.

At the end of the day it must be the choice of the individual and family.
It would be nice to think the OP can make long distance contact with friends or future friends in an area that is flat, with medical and shopping nearby and make a move that will not involve too many follow up moves as she is going to need support on the ground from day 1.

Whatever happens don't just have "A Plan" - have Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, Plan D etc etc all targetted at the Final Goal - living together in peace and harmony.

regards
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:50 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
The poor lady has asked for advice. she has terrible Rheumatoid Arthritis and hopes that a move to this warm climate will ease her pain. Unfortunately her husband can't come for eighteen months, but they have decided that the best thing for her is to come now. As if this isn't bad enough, some of you have attempted to put a doubt in her mind by suggesting that as soon as she's out of the country, he'll be off having affairs. SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
This is supposed to be a forum to help people. Some of you seem to take great delight in adding to their troubles.

I fyou bothered to read the definition of "DE RODRIGUEZ" that was kindly posted by Agoreira, you will see that, I did not imply infidelity and, simply asked for the English equivalent.

As for the posters who did mention it, some with sad stories of people who thought they had rock solid relationships, were they not pointing out the pitfalls of living in seperate countries?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Domino
Jo - right on

it has nothing to do with Spain, it applies to any\all countries outside the English language influence.
I am sure the poster will not hit me too hard if I say she obviously is not a bouncy teenager (oh what memories) and I know from my current mobility problems that it can be difficult to just get out in the morning, letalone negotiate a car or bus journey and plod round Al Campo and then get back home. To be surrounded by the cheerful chatter of hundreds, nay thousands, of locals can be like total disorientation. Even now it reminds me of my first visit to Singapore in my teens.

I think it is very brave to make the move complete with the dogs. Our plan involved OH making the move, getting settled and comfortable, el perro coming out by car about 9 months later. Regretably he and I were ill for several months and it took almost 2 years before loading him into car and driving down thru France. But OH also got the car and it has increased her independence and house hunting no end. But not all rentals allow pets.

At the end of the day it must be the choice of the individual and family.
It would be nice to think the OP can make long distance contact with friends or future friends in an area that is flat, with medical and shopping nearby and make a move that will not involve too many follow up moves as she is going to need support on the ground from day 1.

Whatever happens don't just have "A Plan" - have Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, Plan D etc etc all targetted at the Final Goal - living together in peace and harmony.

regards
Another one who wants to dance!

For some people the only variation to the plan can be where to live. In this instance her husbands job will be in Mutxamelamel, she loves El Campello, which is ten minutes away by car. As for assistance, I live in the area and if I don't know the answer, I will know some very capable people who do!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:15 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

For some people the only variation to the plan can be where to live. In this instance her husbands job will be in Mutxamelamel, she loves El Campello, which is ten minutes away by car. As for assistance, I live in the area and if I don't know the answer, I will know some very capable people who do!
Another one who wants to dance! I do not understand the reference please elucidate

It would seem from this posting that you have information from the OP that is not available to the rest of those on this thread. Therefore any helpful or unhelpful comments\suggestion is totally superfluous and we might as well wrap up this thread and all other associated threads by the OP. Just not sure if it can count as a success or not.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:16 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, that little comment comes across as though perhaps you're a troll rather than a caring contributor

Jo
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Sadly, that little comment comes across as though perhaps you're a troll rather than a caring contributor

Jo
Oh, I'm sorry didn't you see the humour in it!

Last edited by Saxy; Jul 5th 2011 at 9:59 am.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

Hello I seem to have opened up a right can of worms here,

I am not offended by any remarks and I have taken all of them on board, My OH and I have already been through a long distance relationship as early in our romance we lived at separate ends of the country, We managed fine then with telephones and web cams, and now there's Skype it should be even easier. We both totally trust each other,
We both have the dream of coming to Spain so that's another plus for us.

I'm just sorry to have started an argument amongst you all, but I am grateful to you all for your input...

Thanks again, Jan.... (Doris is my nickname,) long story for another time perhaps...
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Another one who wants to dance! I do not understand the reference please elucidate
Posts #43 & 44
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:06 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorishaslop

I am not offended by any remarks and I have taken all of them on board, My OH and I have already been through a long distance relationship as early in our romance we lived at separate ends of the country, We managed fine then with telephones and web cams, and now there's Skype it should be even easier. We both totally trust each other,

I'm just sorry to have started an argument amongst you all, but I am grateful to you all for your input...

Thanks again, Jan.... (Doris is my nickname,) long story for another time perhaps...

I had a feeling you were made of sterner stuff

you'd need to be to even consider coming to live here alone!

my god, when I think back to when we first arrived - me with mobility problems (although mild then), 2 little kids & couldn't speak Spanish

then my OH went away less than 2 weeks later

so glad you're not offended - none of it was personal, as you clearly realise

Last edited by lynnxa; Jul 5th 2011 at 10:10 am.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:06 am

Posts #43 & 44
originally

now even more
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:26 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Well its nice to meet you Jan!! I can remember when I first came over, it was always the plan for my husband to commute until we were settled and he could start his business in Spain (Sadly we're still waiting for that thanks to the recession). My husband stayed for 10 days then had to go back the UK leaving me on my own AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!! I cried for the first day and night and then had to learn to drive the car on the wrong side of the road and I had to learn not to get lost. I clung to the letting agents of our house cos I sisnt know anyone else and without them I think I'd have left and gone back to the UK. What made it worse was that we came here in February and it did nothing but rain after he left and I seriously wondered what on earth I was doing????

Three years on and I've now got a job and have made friends and love it, but I still miss husband when he's away

jo xxx
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:33 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pleased you're not offended and please don't be sorry for starting a debate. Especially in this terrible heat, we get a bit bored at times, and there's nothing worse than a question and answer session without humour.

I use Skype too, but luckily it breaks down when certain people come knocking. Some school friends of mine haven't aged well, and I prefer to remember them as they appear on the photographs from years ago.

I'd rather pay the extra than see their flickering face on my screen when I'm talking to them.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:57 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone,

If you feel someone has made an inappropriate post or directed a derogatory remark at another member, please could you report the post so it can be brought to the attention of a moderator so we can deal with it, rather than take a thread off-topic by tackling the person concerned. As it just derails the thread and isn't fair to the OP of the thread or the other people who are contributing to the topic discussion.

Thanks so much.

As you were.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by HBG
I'm pleased you're not offended and please don't be sorry for starting a debate. Especially in this terrible heat, we get a bit bored at times, and there's nothing worse than a question and answer session without humour.

I use Skype too, but luckily it breaks down when certain people come knocking. Some school friends of mine haven't aged well, and I prefer to remember them as they appear on the photographs from years ago.

I'd rather pay the extra than see their flickering face on my screen when I'm talking to them.

I have a cantankerous webcam that gets the blame rather than Skype

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.