Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain ahead of Partner, help please

Moving to Spain ahead of Partner, help please

Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain ahead of Partner, help please

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
No one has given the newbie a hard time. I was not the only one confused about dogs in this thread.
Grow up.
Why feel the need to be nasty, surely here we are adult enough to be able to cope with a little perceived confusion.
Graham
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:20 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Sort of off topic, it sound like the partner will be " de Rodriguez."

Is there an English phrase that means the same?
if you mean her - grass widow?

or him - when the cat's away the mouse will play

actually she could take advantage of that one too!!!
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lynnxa
if you mean her - grass widow?

or him - when the cat's away the mouse will play

actually she could take advantage of that one too!!!
I think this has gone too far

John.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:42 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy

John.

it's just a joke!!!

and dorishaslop did ask...................

no offence is meant - however if she is offended I'll ask a mod to delete it
Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:10 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few odf us, including lynnx who live in Spain while our husbands work away, so know the pitfalls of being on our own here! My main concern would be that the OP would need to get a carer in if she is receiving DLA - thats the allowance to enable her to pay for assistance. But hopefully there will be agencies around. Apart from that, its however she wants it to be - boring without a job would be my first thought

Jo xxx
Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:16 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
There are a few odf us, including lynnx who live in Spain while our husbands work away, so know the pitfalls of being on our own here! My main concern would be that the OP would need to get a carer in if she is receiving DLA - thats the allowance to enable her to pay for assistance. But hopefully there will be agencies around. Apart from that, its however she wants it to be - boring without a job would be my first thought

Jo xxx
you have a point - I came here never intending to work - my kids were still quite little

as they got older though - & it wasn't just that they were at school all day, but out with friends after school, too - yes, I got bored & started working again

I could only cope with so much time drinking coffee with the 'yummy mummies'

but that's just me
actually -none of the yummy mummies I knew from back then are still here........................us workers are though
Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

In defence of the poster that mentioned while the cats away, it is all to easy to forget that you are in a relationship while the other person is a 1000miles away.

I know I had it happen to me. It takes a strong relationship, a lot of trust and the knowledge that you are BOTH working to a single goal, if either of you are not committed to the move then PLEASE rethink.

So many other halves say ok to an idea when in reality it is only the dream of one person and all to often it leads to conflict and with the distance it is easier to forget that you are a we not simply an I"2. I ended up an I"" when I thought we were a "we" because the dream turned out to be just my dream and not his as well. He ended up talking to a woman in the states and went further than 1000miles he went to a whole new continent.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jay01
In defence of the poster that mentioned while the cats away, it is all to easy to forget that you are in a relationship while the other person is a 1000miles away.

I know I had it happen to me. It takes a strong relationship, a lot of trust and the knowledge that you are BOTH working to a single goal, if either of you are not committed to the move then PLEASE rethink.

So many other halves say ok to an idea when in reality it is only the dream of one person and all to often it leads to conflict and with the distance it is easier to forget that you are a we not simply an I"2. I ended up an I"" when I thought we were a "we" because the dream turned out to be just my dream and not his as well. He ended up talking to a woman in the states and went further than 1000miles he went to a whole new continent.
don't shoot the messenger - I was only translating!!! - actually it wasn't you shooting, was it?

however...........

yes, it's true - it takes a VERY strong relationship to cope with long distance

sadly, I know quite a few relationships which have split due to distance - obviously not just the distance - but that's a factor

my OH has always worked away - since long before we had the kids - before we got married in fact - it's what we are used to & it works for us

but it's not for everyone

Last edited by lynnxa; Jul 4th 2011 at 6:15 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
No one has given the newbie a hard time. I was not the only one confused about dogs in this thread.
Grow up.
Grow up ? oh dear hardly worth commenting on that and taking the thread further off topic. Maybe you should ignore my posts if I am so childish. I surely won't reply to yours.

My apologies to the OP.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
don't shoot the messenger - I was only translating!!!
I'm not sure it necessarily means that there will be any infidelity, just that the husband is left alone at home whilst the wife is away.

rodríguez.

(De Rodríguez, apellido).

1. m. coloq. Hombre casado que se queda trabajando mientras su familia está fuera, normalmente de veraneo. Anda, está, se queda de rodríguez.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:21 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by agoreira
I'm not sure it necessarily means that there will be any infidelity, just that the husband is left alone at home whilst the wife is away.
no it doesn't have to mean that

grass widow - which was one of my suggestions - can just be a woman whose husband is away temporarily - like me

and there's no infidelity in our relationship
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:40 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
what about passports for the dogs ?
as the poster who originated the question about dogs, as discussed with Rosemary via PM, I had clocked that the OP had made a similar request on
URL="http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722485"]http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722485[/URL]
where a number of current posters made comment, and 2 lurchers were mentioned, but not mentioned in this posting.

So I asked the question as many rentals are strictly Non Perro, and could be a major sticking point when looking for a property.

Now please, stop fighting each other, flame me if you want - my cojons are brass plated and go back to providing assistance to the OP who is going to need buckets full of support and assistance

regards
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:06 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

as currently "el Rodriguez" as has been so politely put, a bit of input.

after making a few initial fact-finding trips with a view to retirement in Andalucia, the OH received a job offer in Andalucia we hadnt been expecting and we had a mad scramble to find flat and get her moved out in 3wks. This we saw as a trial as to whether she could exist in a foreign land, tempered by working in an English speaking environment.

Now we have moved el Perro out with her car and a number of personal items I am left to pack up the house and prepare it for renting (only view turned out to be buy-to-letter who wanted to knock 25% off price for guarantee to complete)

There can be worries on either side as to what is happening, especially when OH gets invited to things by the very amiable locals - who I have met.
What is good for us is we see our situation as a means to an end - being together.

The first few weeks were difficult as our only communication was text and 3mins fone call on mobile each day.
Now we have landline and Skype with video cam and a pc at each end so can and do talk for over an hour every day. also each have UK and Spanish mobiles which we use dependent on who is where to keep the costs down. Regular trips on Ryanair or Easyjet can sometimes make things worse.

It all comes down to confidence in the relationship and your partner. If there is any doubt on either side then it probably will go belly up - whether in Spain, Singapore or Scunthorpe.

rgds
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Grow up ? oh dear hardly worth commenting on that and taking the thread further off topic. Maybe you should ignore my posts if I am so childish. I surely won't reply to yours.

My apologies to the OP.
I come on here to offer advice, not to respond to unjustified smart alec personal comments.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:38 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy

John.
OMG. you really cant be offended at that......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.