Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

Old Apr 27th 2022, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Sweeping statement ? Not to sure where you come from but where I come from 14 year old boys are carrying Rambo knives around stabbing each other, young girls are creating OnlyFans accounts selling adult content, drugs are rife, parents are dressing them in designer clothes from a young age I could go on and on,

Spain definitely does have its problems with youth gangs lately in Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla but the botellones that you see around the Costas and the kids even younger actually seem like young kids having a bit of fun to me, if I lived in UK I would be a nervous wreck letting my kid out with friends, they’re growing up way too fast.

You speak to a 16 year old kid from my estate and then speak to a 16 year old kid in Spain, you can tell the difference massively. I don’t read papers I know true facts what I’ve seen with my own eyes.

I did previously say to the OP unless she’s considering moving to a more affluent area in the UK then fair enough but even in them places kids ain’t safe with county lines gangs coming from major cities into those areas,

I also disagree with your sweeping statement about a good income and a nice home, like I said life is not about just about money, you can be more than happy in Spain on an average income and a mediocre home, in the summer you’re hardly in your home anyway. UK is all about money
It is a sweeping statement Tom and not representative of the youth of today of today. You can go to any city anywhere in the world and find youngsters up to no good and with bad attitudes but they are always in the minority. What you've seen with your own eyes is limited to just that, effectively a very narrow view of the bigger picture.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Sweeping statement ? Not to sure where you come from but where I come from 14 year old boys are carrying Rambo knives around stabbing each other, young girls are creating OnlyFans accounts selling adult content, drugs are rife, parents are dressing them in designer clothes from a young age I could go on and on,

Spain definitely does have its problems with youth gangs lately in Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla but the botellones that you see around the Costas and the kids even younger actually seem like young kids having a bit of fun to me, if I lived in UK I would be a nervous wreck letting my kid out with friends, they’re growing up way too fast.

You speak to a 16 year old kid from my estate and then speak to a 16 year old kid in Spain, you can tell the difference massively. I don’t read papers I know true facts what I’ve seen with my own eyes.

I did previously say to the OP unless she’s considering moving to a more affluent area in the UK then fair enough but even in them places kids ain’t safe with county lines gangs coming from major cities into those areas,

I also disagree with your sweeping statement about a good income and a nice home, like I said life is not about just about money, you can be more than happy in Spain on an average income and a mediocre home, in the summer you’re hardly in your home anyway. UK is all about money

So Spain isn’t rife with drugs like the UK then?? I’d rather girls do only fans than work on the roads in spain like you see everywhere.

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 27th 2022 at 8:16 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Apr 27th 2022, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Bob the youth in Spain are nowhere near as ruthless as the youth in the UK sorry but it’s facts, in Ireland they’re even worse, they’re beheading other kids in coolock in Dublin, the shootings, the stabbings, the drugs, this now goes into what Stingychips is saying about is Spain not rife with drugs…. Yes it is it’s full of drugs I agree, a massive portion of drugs in Spain end up on the streets of the UK and Ireland, who is importing these drugs though and causing all the misery ? Not the youth in Spain, international drugs gangs is who, who base themselves in Spain, the drugs gangs from the UK and Ireland that are in Spain have normally lived a life of crime in deprived areas back where they come from, the young kids in Spain don’t have any contact with these sorts of people.

It’s a mess in UK, Spain and Ireland when it comes to drugs it’s a mess everywhere in fact, drugs are what are causing all the problems with the youth in the UK, in the big cities a lot of kids just don’t want to work they want fast money to show off on Instagram, that’s just the sad state of affairs that it is really.

Im not saying spain is perfect but the uk is smaller with a dense population and the kids are being exposed to all this a lot more than Spain, you don’t see gangs coming from Madrid to take over the benidorm drugs trade for example i.e county lines, benidorm is full of drugs but it’s all party people on holiday, children are not exposed to it day to day, you don’t see heroin addicts walking around benidorm etc, Madrid and Seville etc you do, the UK is full of heroin.

My argument is that children are not exposed to bad things in Spain as much as they are in the UK, I believe kids in Spain generally have a better way of life, there is good and bad everywhere but I just believe that in Spain even though the education system is not as good and job opportunities and wages are not as good it’s still a better quality of life.

As for the education system, if the OP decided to stay in Spain being part of the EU, nothing to stop her children going of to be Erasmus students in other parts of Europe when they grow up.

It is not all doom and gloom in spain the way people make out it is on here.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Bob the youth in Spain are nowhere near as ruthless as the youth in the UK sorry but it’s facts, in Ireland they’re even worse, they’re beheading other kids in coolock in Dublin, the shootings, the stabbings, the drugs, this now goes into what Stingychips is saying about is Spain not rife with drugs…. Yes it is it’s full of drugs I agree, a massive portion of drugs in Spain end up on the streets of the UK and Ireland, who is importing these drugs though and causing all the misery ? Not the youth in Spain, international drugs gangs is who, who base themselves in Spain, the drugs gangs from the UK and Ireland that are in Spain have normally lived a life of crime in deprived areas back where they come from, the young kids in Spain don’t have any contact with these sorts of people.

It’s a mess in UK, Spain and Ireland when it comes to drugs it’s a mess everywhere in fact, drugs are what are causing all the problems with the youth in the UK, in the big cities a lot of kids just don’t want to work they want fast money to show off on Instagram, that’s just the sad state of affairs that it is really.

Im not saying spain is perfect but the uk is smaller with a dense population and the kids are being exposed to all this a lot more than Spain, you don’t see gangs coming from Madrid to take over the benidorm drugs trade for example i.e county lines, benidorm is full of drugs but it’s all party people on holiday, children are not exposed to it day to day, you don’t see heroin addicts walking around benidorm etc, Madrid and Seville etc you do, the UK is full of heroin.

My argument is that children are not exposed to bad things in Spain as much as they are in the UK, I believe kids in Spain generally have a better way of life, there is good and bad everywhere but I just believe that in Spain even though the education system is not as good and job opportunities and wages are not as good it’s still a better quality of life.

As for the education system, if the OP decided to stay in Spain being part of the EU, nothing to stop her children going of to be Erasmus students in other parts of Europe when they grow up.

It is not all doom and gloom in spain the way people make out it is on here.
Sorry, you seem to be giving a wrong picture here and any capital city in the world has problems. Where do you start and where do you stop and it would be like saying that the whole of Spain is the Costa del Crime?
I have driven 1000 km's of the wild atlantic way and have not seen one prostitute. Not even a nuclear power plant and the neighbours kids around us are all into sports. I have driven 5 km's of the coast around Spain and have seen drunk people, drug addicts and prostitutes. Well, that would be the wrong image of a country going by that. I don't understand the point and the world is getting smaller and smaller anyway, so the youth of today can access anything they want. I'm sure British and Spanish kids play FIFA and might eat a burger, so they are not that different anymore.

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 27th 2022 at 12:49 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

They are very different though. Check the young offenders statistics UK compared to Spain if you want.

At the end of the day I have no idea where in the UK the OP would consider moving to and theirs nothing to suggest that her children would end up getting mixed up with the wrong crowd because not every child and place is bad in the UK,

my point is children in the UK are growing up far too fast and are being exposed to bad things a lot more than kids that grow up in Spain,

There are 14/15/16 year olds being sent on trains from London, Birmingham, Liverpool etc to sell drugs in Torquay etc. That is just not happening in Spain,

Children in Spain act more like children than kids in the UK do.

if you want to do pros and cons for kids growing up in either Spain or the UK, Spain wins hands down

Sorry to burst anybodys bubble lol
Old Apr 27th 2022, 1:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They are very different though. Check the young offenders statistics UK compared to Spain if you want.

At the end of the day I have no idea where in the UK the OP would consider moving to and theirs nothing to suggest that her children would end up getting mixed up with the wrong crowd because not every child and place is bad in the UK,

my point is children in the UK are growing up far too fast and are being exposed to bad things a lot more than kids that grow up in Spain,

There are 14/15/16 year olds being sent on trains from London, Birmingham, Liverpool etc to sell drugs in Torquay etc. That is just not happening in Spain,

Children in Spain act more like children than kids in the UK do.

if you want to do pros and cons for kids growing up in either Spain or the UK, Spain wins hands down

Sorry to burst anybodys bubble lol
I'm wondering which UK this is, as you are painting a picture of so much gloom and doom that I don't recognise it. Having many friends and all my family over there, and doing a huge amount of research ready to move back myself, I'm under no illusion that the UK is perfect, or that it doesn't have an issue with juvenile crime and drugs in various places, but you really are going OTT with your scare stories. Its still perfectly possible to grow up in the UK as a happy balanced child, having no involvement with, and only a vague knowledge of, the drugs culture, and then to mature into a perfectly decent adult.
Every country has problems, no western country is perfect, but equally no western country is a complete cesspit.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

People are just giving their subjective viewpoints. This obviously dont equate to facts. Trying to assess how good or bad one place is to another in this way is not particularly useful. I think the OP is not wanting this kind of assessment. I think they are primarily interested in the financial side of things. Pension, housing costs, work, residency requirements. Dont think they are ready to start weighing up the likelihood of their children turning into drug- crazed aldosecent punks!!
Old Apr 27th 2022, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm wondering which UK this is, as you are painting a picture of so much gloom and doom that I don't recognise it. Having many friends and all my family over there, and doing a huge amount of research ready to move back myself, I'm under no illusion that the UK is perfect, or that it doesn't have an issue with juvenile crime and drugs in various places, but you really are going OTT with your scare stories. Its still perfectly possible to grow up in the UK as a happy balanced child, having no involvement with, and only a vague knowledge of, the drugs culture, and then to mature into a perfectly decent adult.
Every country has problems, no western country is perfect, but equally no western country is a complete cesspit.
The UK is a cesspit, sorry I said it

anybody who thinks different is deluded, every single person I speak to back in England says it’s depressing and say to me I would be a fool to ever go back, it’s an absolute state there and it’s getting worse and worse.

They can’t even go out and have a civilised drink without fighting, the tories have completely ruined the country, the police are treated like absolute dirt, nobody respects the police, the kids take the absolute p**s out of them, you get a baton round the back of the legs in Spain or a slap round the face.

people are bound to try and defend it if they live there or are moving back there from abroad but it is what it is, it’s a sad state of affairs. People seem to be talking about it being more financially prosperous there, ok nice 80k a year job and a nice house and nice car, is that what makes people happy is it ?

going back to my original argument as to why the OP would be better off moving to the Costas, because you do not need loads of money to be happy, I would rather have less of an income, cheaper property, better weather, know my kids are safer over having a high salary, a nice house in Cheshire or Surrey, grim weather,

Because lets face it if they move to London, Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, even Nottingham, Leicester, Stoke etc life is grim.

sorry to hit nerves like but it’s the truth

Certain things in life are way more important than money

Last edited by Albir_Tom; Apr 27th 2022 at 2:49 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Adult man >> adult woman, both have indefinido contracts >> average salary 1400 per month each >> 2800 euros per month income >> two young children >> rent a 3 bedroom house on the Costa Blanca with communal swimming pool 600 euros per month or buy one for 90k euros >> right by the coast >> lovely climate all year round

Or the UK ?

I know where I would choose.

Please do not try and tell me there is no work and no indefinido contracts to be had with those salaries.

I never struggle for work.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is a cesspit, sorry I said it

anybody who thinks different is deluded, every single person I speak to back in England says it’s depressing and say to me I would be a fool to ever go back, it’s an absolute state there and it’s getting worse and worse.

They can’t even go out and have a civilised drink without fighting, the tories have completely ruined the country, the police are treated like absolute dirt, nobody respects the police, the kids take the absolute p**s out of them, you get a baton round the back of the legs in Spain or a slap round the face.

people are bound to try and defend it if they live there or are moving back there from abroad but it is what it is, it’s a sad state of affairs. People seem to be talking about it being more financially prosperous there, ok nice 80k a year job and a nice house and nice car, is that what makes people happy is it ?

going back to my original argument as to why the OP would be better off moving to the Costas, because you do not need loads of money to be happy, I would rather have less of an income, cheaper property, better weather, know my kids are safer over having a high salary, a nice house in Cheshire or Surrey, grim weather,

Because lets face it if they move to London, Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, even Nottingham, Leicester, Stoke etc life is grim.

sorry to hit nerves like but it’s the truth

Certain things in life are way more important than money
Aren’t the Costas supposed to be more expensive ?. I know Spanish that are making plenty money in the UK. In fact the Spanish waiter in the restaurant in the Lake District was mocking Spains tax laws saying it’s not even worth working there. I know a Spanish lad that moved to England. Worked his arse off and got a degree in England and now has a job in Sheffield city centre. He absolutely loves it in England.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Aren’t the Costas supposed to be more expensive ?. I know Spanish that are making plenty money in the UK. In fact the Spanish waiter in the restaurant in the Lake District was mocking Spains tax laws saying it’s not even worth working there. I know a Spanish lad that moved to England. Worked his arse off and got a degree in England and now has a job in Sheffield city centre. He absolutely loves it in England.
And I know two young Spaniards who moved to the UK (to different areas), had no problems finding work but did not like living there at all and both moved back here in less than a year. One said the wages were higher but he was worse off because the cost of living, particularly housing, was so high, the other (who was in an area where housing costs were lower) did not like the amount of drunkenness and violence he routinely saw on the streets and did not feel safe, and they both hated the weather.

I have also known some British people who moved to Spain, found they did not like it here for various reasons (not everybody does) and moved back to the UK.

Last edited by Lynn R; Apr 27th 2022 at 3:42 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lynn R
And I know two young Spaniards who moved to the UK (to different areas), had no problems finding work but did not like living there at all and both moved back here in less than a year.
you only have to walk through Manchester City centre and listen. Spanish everywhere in England. They like something about it or they wouldn’t be here. Nearly every waiter in Bowness in the Lake District is Spanish. Spanish communities everywhere in England. Last time I went to London it was full of Spaniards. Just because some Brits find the idea of getting pissed in the baking hot sun all day paradise, others may not.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Yeah but the reason they go to England is for better wages, that’s the main reason really. They dont go for the weather and the lifestyle. The main objective is to return to Spain with plenty of money just like all the polish did.

i have plenty of Spanish pals that studied in UK they went for fun more than anything to cop off with a load of English girls and get an education at the same time, every one of them ended up back in Spain and say they would rather earn less money in Spain than stay in England.

and about the Costas no…. Parts of the south Costa Blanca is dirt cheap to live.

Again we go back to money though, can earn all the money in the world in the UK it don’t change the fact that it is a dive
Old Apr 27th 2022, 3:43 pm
Banned

LarryR is an unknown quantity at this point

I know several young Spaniards prospering in the U.K..........but hey each to their own.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LarryR
I know several young Spaniards prospering in the U.K..........but hey each to their own.
prospering financially and copping off with loads of easy girls on nights out who wouldn’t love that for a while,

I bet you they can’t wait to get back to Spain eventually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.