Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

Old Apr 23rd 2022, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola,

I really think Spain is “dead” for retiring Brits as the monthly income requirements (27,000€ single person, 33,000 married couple plus 6,500 for each dependant) are far too high for all but the richest pensioners. Having to buy FULL health insurance from a Spanish company won’t be cheap and the Convenio Espacial at 60€ a month (157€ a month over 65) isn’t cheap and finally, having to take a driving test in the Spanish language will put most people off.

The Costa del Sol may survive but other areas will struggle I think; the Cadiz area is cheaper than the other Costas and has attracted those with less money; therefore, I feel the numbers of British ex-pats will diminish quickly.

So, do I want to stay in this paradise that calls itself Spain while all around me there is a growing number of foreigners who speak a different language? I spent eight years formally learning Spanish and it has served me well. But I am not sufficiently fluent for all occasions and I am getting increasingly deaf which doesn’t help.

So, now in my twentieth year of living in Spain, my conclusion is to move back while, at 75, I can still move myself back.

For those of you that are not retired, a word of caution; are you swapping a high stress / high reward life now for a lower stress / higher life style at the cost of a lower standard of life as a pensioner? If you earn less money here in Spain than you would in the UK, then will your retirement be as good as you want?

Good luck in your deliberations

Davexf
Well Brexit was always going to be the self inflicted death knell for British retirees on a low income wasn't it. Less so in Portugal where the minimum income requirement is much lower and there is free health care.

In our area of Spain, the British are being replaced by other northern Europeans and houses are selling very quickly.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, on balance I'd say stay put, but perhaps look for somewhere bigger. Nowhere in the world is perfect.
Some have suggested Cantabria, which could be a possibility for you to look at, with access to the sea, ferry & airport. We live in the Basque country because my wife is Basque. Property in Euskadi is much more expensive than Castilla. Navarra is less and has a lot going for it. Property in Britain is horrendously expensive.
Good luck.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola,
So, do I want to stay in this paradise that calls itself Spain while all around me there is a growing number of foreigners who speak a different language? I spent eight years formally learning Spanish and it has served me well. But I am not sufficiently fluent for all occasions and I am getting increasingly deaf which doesn’t help.

So, now in my twentieth year of living in Spain, my conclusion is to move back while, at 75, I can still move myself back.

Davexf
A question I would ask:- Would you be comfortable spending your last days in a nursing home where you cannot understand the language being spoken around you?

If you have a good command of the language maybe all well and good, but if you don't what then
Old Apr 24th 2022, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
A question I would ask:- Would you be comfortable spending your last days in a nursing home where you cannot understand the language being spoken around you?

If you have a good command of the language maybe all well and good, but if you don't what then
Absolutely correct. As I pointed out with my neighbour. As you get older and your health obviously impacts on you in most countries family and friends work with the local health authorities to insure you get appropriate care and attention
A foreigner in Spain with no Spanish will most likely have little knowledge of the Spanish healthcare system and as likely not have integrated with Spanish people who might be able to assist them. A very frightening, sad and lonely existence can await those who have severed contact with their own country and have never integrated into their host country.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 8:45 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola,

I really think Spain is “dead” for retiring Brits as the monthly income requirements (27,000€ single person, 33,000 married couple plus 6,500 for each dependant) are far too high for all but the richest pensioners. Having to buy FULL health insurance from a Spanish company won’t be cheap and the Convenio Espacial at 60€ a month (157€ a month over 65) isn’t cheap and finally, having to take a driving test in the Spanish language will put most people off.

The Costa del Sol may survive but other areas will struggle I think; the Cadiz area is cheaper than the other Costas and has attracted those with less money; therefore, I feel the numbers of British ex-pats will diminish quickly.

For those of you that are not retired, a word of caution; are you swapping a high stress / high reward life now for a lower stress / higher life style at the cost of a lower standard of life as a pensioner? If you earn less money here in Spain than you would in the UK, then will your retirement be as good as you want?

Good luck in your deliberations

Davexf

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
Absolutely correct. As I pointed out with my neighbour. As you get older and your health obviously impacts on you in most countries family and friends work with the local health authorities to insure you get appropriate care and attention
A foreigner in Spain with no Spanish will most likely have little knowledge of the Spanish healthcare system and as likely not have integrated with Spanish people who might be able to assist them. A very frightening, sad and lonely existence can await those who have severed contact with their own country and have never integrated into their host country.
Just to point out, OP has been living and working in Spain for 8 years, and, given that she has had children in that time, is probably in her 20's or 30's. Whilst she asked a question about her pension, I doubt she is retiring any time soon.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 8:51 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

This forum proves yet again how much we differ in our opinions and what we believe when we read someones post.

My immediate thoughts were that the family probably speak good Spanish as they have lived in a small village away from the places that are frequented by large numbers of Brits. Living in a small place normally means that you integrate more completely than you would in larger towns and cities. I also decided that as at least one of them is in a good job that this meant a good command of the language. We all make assumptions so obviously it would be interested to hear back from the OP as to the reality.

Rosemary
Old Apr 24th 2022, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I would not necessarily have to. There is a care home near to where I live (I know a few people whose relatives have been cared for there, the wife of one person has been a resident there for several years as she has severe dementia and he is very happy with the standard of care she receives) which has English speaking staff. There are also at least two agencies I am aware of which provide home care for different levels of need, from home help services to nursing care, by English speaking carers if required. My former next door neighbour is now the Care Co-ordinator for one of them (a young man with one British parent who was brought up and educated in Spain and completely bilingual).

A friend of ours from the UK was out here visiting a couple of weeks ago as she had some official business to conclude with her bank. Her husband was unable to accompany her as his 102 year old father had been discharged from hospital without an adequate care package in place (which should not happen but frequently does). The family (and he does have family who help care for him and liaise with the authorities, imagine what it is like for people who don't) were having terrible problems with carers missing visits or coming at completely unsuitable times of day to get him up or put him to bed, and several times family members had found him left in his own bodily waste for hours. The care agencies just cannot get enough staff to provide decent services.

There are numerous examples reported every year of people in the UK being found dead in their own homes after weeks, months or even years in some cases - the most recent being a woman in London found after more than two years during which neighbours had reported bad smells from her property to the authorities numerous times. This is not a recent phenomenon - in 2006, the year I left the UK, a neighbour and myself called the police because we had not seen one of our neighbours for a couple of days and they broke into his house and found him dead. He had no family that we knew of and no carers or friends visiting. There are also many cases where family members or neighbours contact authorities because they are worried about the conditions elderly or vulnerable people are living in, or the way they are behaving, and are told there is nothing that can be done because the individuals concerned "have capacity". My siblings and I were told the same about our aunt. We thought she should have been in residential care as it was unsafe for her to remain at home but she refused to move or to have carers or home helps coming in.

I am not saying that the same things don't happen in Spain, but I, as someone with practically no family left in the UK, see no point in jumping out of the frying pan into the fire to go somewhere where things are no better and what services there are would cost me more to pay for, as I would not qualify for any financial assistance there any more than I would here.

Last edited by Lynn R; Apr 24th 2022 at 9:14 am.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 9:53 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Home is where the heart is :-)
Old Apr 24th 2022, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be too hasty or cut the Spanish ties. Try to decide which home comforts you miss and see if you can find them elsewhere in Spain, or further afield in Europe. I would strongly recommend getting Spanish nationality if you don't already have it. If you leave Spain without the gift of geographical freedom within the EU you're going to severely restrict your options in years to come. A lot of members would be giving their right arm for that gift at the moment even if it makes UK residency a little more complicated.

If you only have 10 years left on the mortgage I would consider renting it out and renting a place to live elsewhere, even if elsewhere is the UK. It would complicate your tax situation but would hopefully be better for you financially in the long run. Just remember the essentials: use an agency, get insurance and don't be greedy. A long term tenant paying a few Euro under the market rate is worth a lot more than sporadic income and the risk of squatters.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
I wouldn't be too hasty or cut the Spanish ties. Try to decide which home comforts you miss and see if you can find them elsewhere in Spain, or further afield in Europe. I would strongly recommend getting Spanish nationality if you don't already have it. If you leave Spain without the gift of geographical freedom within the EU you're going to severely restrict your options in years to come. A lot of members would be giving their right arm for that gift at the moment even if it makes UK residency a little more complicated.

If you only have 10 years left on the mortgage I would consider renting it out and renting a place to live elsewhere, even if elsewhere is the UK. It would complicate your tax situation but would hopefully be better for you financially in the long run. Just remember the essentials: use an agency, get insurance and don't be greedy. A long term tenant paying a few Euro under the market rate is worth a lot more than sporadic income and the risk of squatters.
I agree with the idea of getting Spanish citizenship. Especially if your kids have UK passports. They will never lose the UK citizenship but will also get EU membership. You will have to hand uk passports to Spain but given that uk allows dual passports you can just reapply for them in UK later.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

britishlondon30s is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosemary
This forum proves yet again how much we differ in our opinions and what we believe when we read someones post.

My immediate thoughts were that the family probably speak good Spanish as they have lived in a small village away from the places that are frequented by large numbers of Brits. Living in a small place normally means that you integrate more completely than you would in larger towns and cities. I also decided that as at least one of them is in a good job that this meant a good command of the language. We all make assumptions so obviously it would be interested to hear back from the OP as to the reality.

Rosemary
Hello !!

Thanks for all the responses here! Yea I'm late 30s...I have my own English buisness here so work is good for now...and my husband is Spanish and gets by in factory work. Living in a small village initially had its charms ... safe and young kids can run around here. However, on a personal note I do worry about future...as turning 40soon..this village seems smaller and the village mentality here plays a part too and I think would I personally be better off selling up and moving back to UK as now would be the time to do it as kids are still young. Buy with house prices in the UK at the moment...my house on the village wouldnt get me very far to begin with ..so I want to start from scratch ?
Old Apr 24th 2022, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanNico

Thanks !!
​​​​​​given the location where we are...small remote village..renting may only be seasonal rather than full time ...although would be idea !!
Old Apr 24th 2022, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
I agree with the idea of getting Spanish citizenship. Especially if your kids have UK passports. They will never lose the UK citizenship but will also get EU membership. You will have to hand uk passports to Spain but given that uk allows dual passports you can just reapply for them in UK later.
Can I get dual citizenships? Can my kids too? I thought was only one or the other ??
Old Apr 24th 2022, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Just to point out, OP has been living and working in Spain for 8 years, and, given that she has had children in that time, is probably in her 20's or 30's. Whilst she asked a question about her pension, I doubt she is retiring any time soon.
Hi!! As I'm almost turning 40, the future does weigh on me a lot now and i think it's a decision I should.make now or never to return ! Just given the ecot at the moment..not sure it's wise now and I'm worried I've missed the boat !
Old Apr 24th 2022, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
You have a job you have children who were born in Spain so know nothing about Britain and presumably are going through the Spanish Education system. The UK as a country is heading down the toilet at a vast rate of knots Classes are overcrowded, hospitals are rammed to the gunwhales ,12 hour waits for ambulances are routine and the country is covered in litter and the roads full of potholes. The average price for a 3 bed house in the UK is £283K Can you afford that? IMHO you should stay put
In relation to the pension then no you will not "lose" it anymore than if you stayed in Spain and had acquired some UK pension There are international agreements about pensions and when you retire the country you are in will send you a claim form for overseas pensions.You should be aware that the pension age in the UK is steadily increasing and will probably be well over 70 by the time you retire Whether or not this is happening in Spain at the same rate I do not know
thank you !!! Makes sense !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.