Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

Old Apr 27th 2022, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

I love the UK, it is my homeland and I am proud to be British.

I just hate what it has become and I would hate to raise my children there. It is just my opinion.

i dont ever try and make out to anybody like I am better because I live in Spain. I live a dead boring life to be honest but I just find it so much more relaxed and less stressful.

i dont earn a fortune here but I get what I need and I am relaxed and happy. The two cultures are just completely different we all know that. I just dont think it’s right thinking about moving to somewhere because it is more prosperous financially. Mental health is at an all time high in the UK in the winter people go to work in the dark and come home in the dark, hardly get a summer at all anymore unless you live right down south.

i am a NVQ level 3 qualified bricky, I could be in England now on 300 quid a day but I choose not to.

Last edited by Albir_Tom; Apr 27th 2022 at 7:29 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Mental health is at an all time high in the UK in the winter people go to work in the dark and come home in the dark, hardly get a summer at all anymore unless you live right down south.
That's a bit of a myth though and people across the globe go to work in the dark and come home in the dark when it's winter. A friend in Barcelona has to work until 6, so also dark. Right now it's still bright outside and kids playing in neighbours garden. Summers are actually becoming warmer and more dry periods, which isn't great.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 8:53 pm
Banned

LarryR is an unknown quantity at this point

The odd few may want to stay in the UK for the rest of their lives,

very rare you will find Jose Manuel García wanting to settle down and raise his family in the UK, buy an expensive house and put up with the British culture all of his life.

they are there simply for the good wages,

as for copping off with birds that is because they tell me Larry
Of course they do
Old Apr 27th 2022, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

britishlondon30s is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Sorry, you seem to be giving a wrong picture here and any capital city in the world has problems. Where do you start and where do you stop and it would be like saying that the whole of Spain is the Costa del Crime?
I have driven 1000 km's of the wild atlantic way and have not seen one prostitute. Not even a nuclear power plant and the neighbours kids around us are all into sports. I have driven 5 km's of the coast around Spain and have seen drunk people, drug addicts and prostitutes. Well, that would be the wrong image of a country going by that. I don't understand the point and the world is getting smaller and smaller anyway, so the youth of today can access anything they want. I'm sure British and Spanish kids play FIFA and might eat a burger, so they are not that different anymore.
Adult man >> adult woman, both have indefinido contracts >> average salary 1400 per month each >> 2800 euros per month income >> two young children >> rent a 3 bedroom house on the Costa Blanca with communal swimming pool 600 euros per month or buy one for 90k euros >> right by the coast >> lovely climate all year round

Or the UK ?

I know where I would choose.

Please do not try and tell me there is no work and no indefinido contracts to be had with those salaries.

I never struggle for work.
Thank you!
Old Apr 27th 2022, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

britishlondon30s is an unknown quantity at this point

Again thanks again for everyone's responses! I've read them all.
Im actually taking into account everything not just the finances because the move for us is now or never. I love going back to see my family in the UK but I have to admit, I feel less.safe when I'm there and don't so the outdoor things I would.do here alone (like long village walks alone)
I think it's the realisation that although I'm still 38 years old..I have to decide if I'm happy to live the rest of my life here..you've all been so helpful, thanks!
Old Apr 27th 2022, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

"they’re beheading other kids in coolock " How many? 1? 10? How often. Don't cherry pick an event to paint a whole section of society Tom, your way out of touch with the UK by the looks of it.

9000 graduate Spanish nurses have moved to the UK because they can't find work in Spain, my daughter has two in her team and they are good and are very happy here. Youth unemployment in Spain is running an average of over 30% and its under 5% in the UK so sunny weather won't pay the bills or lead to a happy adulthood.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
"they’re beheading other kids in coolock " How many? 1? 10? How often. Don't cherry pick an event to paint a whole section of society Tom, your way out of touch with the UK by the looks of it.
And you are way out of touch with the streets by the looks of it and I am definitely not believe me.

If you really knew what went on, you would be in true shock.

Nurses moving to UK now from Spain ? How ? And the ones that are already in UK and Ireland…. Let us see if they settle down and stay for life.

Not many

Last edited by Albir_Tom; Apr 27th 2022 at 10:57 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 11:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And you are way out of touch with the streets by the looks of it and I am definitely not believe me.

If you really knew what went on, you would be in true shock.
The UK is a cesspit, sorry I said it

anybody who thinks different is deluded, every single person I speak to back in England says it’s depressing and say to me I would be a fool to ever go back, it’s an absolute state there and it’s getting worse and worse.

They can’t even go out and have a civilised drink without fighting, the tories have completely ruined the country, the police are treated like absolute dirt, nobody respects the police, the kids take the absolute p**s out of them, you get a baton round the back of the legs in Spain or a slap round the face.

people are bound to try and defend it if they live there or are moving back there from abroad but it is what it is, it’s a sad state of affairs. People seem to be talking about it being more financially prosperous there, ok nice 80k a year job and a nice house and nice car, is that what makes people happy is it ?

going back to my original argument as to why the OP would be better off moving to the Costas, because you do not need loads of money to be happy, I would rather have less of an income, cheaper property, better weather, know my kids are safer over having a high salary, a nice house in Cheshire or Surrey, grim weather,

Because lets face it if they move to London, Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, even Nottingham, Leicester, Stoke etc life is grim.

sorry to hit nerves like but it’s the truth

Certain things in life are way more important than money

i have plenty of Spanish pals that studied in UK they went for fun more than anything to cop off with a load of English girls
SO I've told my family I now want the real truth about the life they are living, how many times they have fallen prey to the drug dealers, or been beaten up walking to the local pub. They are clearly hiding these facts from me.
I'd also like my nieces to tell me how many Spanish boys they have copped off with lately, the reaction and answer to that should be hilarious!

Originally Posted by bob_bob
I'm hoping Tom can provide a link to this as I am genuinely intrigued by it!

I have a dear friend who moved to Spain from London last year, loves it and would never go back. He's no fan of the UK but even he isn't this nastily anti everything. And if it truly was that bad he would be trying hard to talk me out of returning, but he realises I would not be happy in Spain, its not for me. He loved living in Australia, I loathe it - we lived in different cities here and had different experiences which coloured our views of the country. The point being that we all want different things in life, and no country is perfect nor does every country fit everyone. There are good and bad bits everywhere, and I think the OP really has the right approach saying its not just the finances, she is taking everything into account.

Now off to search google for the outbreak of beheadings in Coolock.........

Old Apr 28th 2022, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
SO I've told my family I now want the real truth about the life they are living, how many times they have fallen prey to the drug dealers, or been beaten up walking to the local pub. They are clearly hiding these facts from me.
I'd also like my nieces to tell me how many Spanish boys they have copped off with lately, the reaction and answer to that should be hilarious!

I'm hoping Tom can provide a link to this as I am genuinely intrigued by it!

I have a dear friend who moved to Spain from London last year, loves it and would never go back. He's no fan of the UK but even he isn't this nastily anti everything. And if it truly was that bad he would be trying hard to talk me out of returning, but he realises I would not be happy in Spain, its not for me. He loved living in Australia, I loathe it - we lived in different cities here and had different experiences which coloured our views of the country. The point being that we all want different things in life, and no country is perfect nor does every country fit everyone. There are good and bad bits everywhere, and I think the OP really has the right approach saying its not just the finances, she is taking everything into account.

Now off to search google for the outbreak of beheadings in Coolock.........
haha go on then crack on… google Keane mulready woods and then delve deeper if you must you will be reading forever because that much happens.

google the a-team in Salford while you are at it

google encrochat too while you are at it also

google zombie knife and Rambo knife London too

google shootings and stabbings in Liverpool too

google how many children have been stabbed to death in London too

SO you mentioned to your family did you

Where are they from ? Norwich or somewhere like that ?

i ain’t being nastily anti everything Im stating facts, I have a huge family back in Birmingham, my mom is 1 of 11 children my dad is 1 of 9, all my aunties and uncles say to me, what ever you do, do not come back here because it is terrible

I grew up on one of the worst council estates in Britain I hardly need to lie do i

dont be gutted that you are having to go back to the uk thats why you are seeing everything Im saying as negative when its not its just facts love

its well off topic this really because my point was I wouldnt bring my children up in that cesspit

i hope you settle back in and enjoy it though and I am sorry that it did not work out for you in Spain

oh by the way, many of spanish lads I know do very well with the girls when they go England for a bit of fun they say its dead easy

cant say the same for English lads doing well with Spanish girls though

true story

Last edited by Albir_Tom; Apr 28th 2022 at 12:28 am.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Switch on the news in Spain for once. Today, for instance there is news of a young person stabbed and killed in centre of Madrid last night. Investigation in Barcelona into an sexual assault of a teenager and attempted murder in a disco last Halloween. Plenty of instances of crime and drugs etc in Spain as in UK. In fact, last year here in torrevieja someone was looking in a green street bin and found severed body parts. Apparently a pensioner murdered and chopped up his wife and threw the bits out with his daily rubbish!!!! Oh yes...last week a Ucranian was beaten unconscious in a bar by playa los loco. As for being safe how safe do you feel when it is not unheard of for gas to be pumped through a window whilst you sleep and your home robbed. Or they enter your house tie up your partner and then make you take them to empty the nearest cash machine. Then there are the Okupados who are increasing now that renting is getting harder ( thanks to air B and B). New ones arrived in the building where I work and we now have to contend with the smell of dope coming into the classrooms.
The idea that the UK is in moral decline is equally applicable in Spain

Last edited by Ronnyone; Apr 28th 2022 at 5:49 am.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

The point should be that no country is perfect and it's up to the individual as to what and where suits them. Criticising the choice of another never ends up in agreement and just becomes a fruitless points scoring exercise.
Mentioning why you wouldn't live somewhere is ok.... so don't live there if you have the choice. Some don't have that. We all have our own reasons for living somewhere and what is important to one person may well not be for another. I cannot get used to how late the sun comes up at certain times of year - during the summer it comes up two and a quarter hours later than where I'm from in the UK, but I put up with it because of the advantages of other things.
It is what it is and memories are short that for the last couple of years we've all had to hibernate. Just for a while at least, revel in the choices that have now opened up again and toast each other that we are still here, wherever that "here" may be.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 6:21 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Mark. On that note I will close this thread.

Rosemary