Reload this Page >

Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

Old Apr 25th 2022, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

britishlondon30s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

Originally Posted by DLC
You'd have to ask yourself, would you fix the problem by moving to a village of the same size in the UK, or would you end up equally restless?

Your husband is Spanish, your kids are used to living in Spain and I guess you are too. Is it worth uprooting everyone only to find the UK hasn't solved anything after all?

Also remember, if you've spent quite a while away is the UK isn't the same as when you left it. Inflation is rising there as well, with another huge energy price rise due in autumn.

Pensions in Spain are at the high end of western countries, the UK is right at the bottom.

So I think if you've outgrown your village then moving to a town rather than to a town in another country would be better. But that's just my opinion, one of many in this thread.
Well said ! Yes UK has changed and the career I had in the UK would not want to hire me back given I've been out of the job for so long ! So I'd have to start a job from scratch literally...as having an English academy here won't get me far in the UK. Thanks !
Old Apr 25th 2022, 9:48 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

I saw in the other thread your kids were born in Spain, I assumed they were born in the UK. If you check the other thread you'll see how to get their British nationality recognised.

British/Spanish children are entitled to dual nationality. You're not entitled to dual nationality if you apply for Spanish nationality, but this is from the point of view of Spain and if you don't fill in the form to give up your British nationality and send it to the Home Office you're still British.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 9:10 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishlondon30s
Well said ! Yes UK has changed and the career I had in the UK would not want to hire me back given I've been out of the job for so long ! So I'd have to start a job from scratch literally...as having an English academy here won't get me far in the UK. Thanks !
If you need to sponsor your husband for a spouse visa, you would need either an income of £18,600 pa now and employment starting in UK within 3 months, job in UK earning £18,600 pa for 6 months or more, or cash savings of £62,500 held for 6 months+.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If you need to sponsor your husband for a spouse visa, you would need either an income of £18,600 pa now and employment starting in UK within 3 months, job in UK earning £18,600 pa for 6 months or more, or cash savings of £62,500 held for 6 months+.
That is my concern too, it is the point I have been trying to make .britishlondon30s seems to think it is not an issue and hopefully she is correct, but from the details she's given it's not obvious why that would be apart from "we were told getting a visa for him would be no problem as he meets the requirements". "We were told..." has a way of being used to sweep a hornet's nest under the carpet so it would be reassuring to know who told her this and on what grounds, and specifically whether the question was asked and answered before or after the windowc closed for taking an EU spouse back to the UK under the terms of the WA.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

So costas cheaper place to live ? My husband from the north so I'm.use to it here but he's always wanted to move by the sea. I have a English academy, is there a market there for that type of work ?
If you could maybe move to Costa de Galicia, that might offer a lot more for you and your family. Albir_Tom mentioned weather and with young kids that's a good point. Further South there is no real future anymore (apart from a few pockets) and the last 10 years have really shown that climate change is real. Even the UK is experiencing more droughts in parts and this is a good map in relation to rich farmer, poor farmer by 2100.
Big changes will be happening in the coming years anyway and while the elderly (including myself:-) don't want to hear it, kids will probably be thankful one day.

Old Apr 26th 2022, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

So costas cheaper place to live ? My husband from the north so I'm.use to it here but he's always wanted to move by the sea. I have a English academy, is there a market there for that type of work ?
To be honest it is just down to pure personal circumstances isnt it. You can earn money teaching English on the Costas definitely and I’m sure you speak Spanish you can also make money translating on the side.

I am not sure what your husband does for a living but with him being Spanish it would not be hard to put himself out once moved and applying for jobs, people say unemployment is sky high in Spain but their is tonnes of work about so I do not understand that statistic.

So many dirt cheap areas to live on the Costa Blanca, shopping in Mercadona is cheap I do not care what anybody says it is cheap, Torrevieja you can rent a 3 bedroom apartment unfurnished for €400 a month and if you are buying a place its even cheaper.

More to the point your main priority is your kids, UK is no place to take two young kids to live unless you are moving them to a nice upmarket area because the youth culture is a disaster now and I would be frightened to allow them out of the front door, that’s my opinion anyway.

One thing I have realised in recent years is that it is just not all about money, it really aint. Yes you need to eat and keep a roof over your head but I think it’s just so much easier in Spain, the weather, the way of life, great for kids. UK is a rat race, what I love about Spain is I see people who have got near enough next to nothing but they have always got smiles on their faces laughing and joking and that is because a money orientated rat race does not control their lives.

Completely different culture here isnt it and if you adhere to it then you can live cheap and be happy and nothing is stopping your children getting a good higher education here either, they can train in anything they want to be and swan off to Madrid or Barcelona or other parts of Europe working when they are grown up.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

"youth culture is a disaster now", I disagree with that sweeping statement, don't believe all you read in the Mail/Express and be honest, there are major problems with some youngsters in Spain...but by no means the majority of them in either country.

Pretty much any country is great to live in if you have a good income and nice home but no country is great to live in if your broke and at the bottom rung of the ladder
Old Apr 26th 2022, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
"youth culture is a disaster now", I disagree with that sweeping statement, don't believe all you read in the Mail/Express and be honest, there are major problems with some youngsters in Spain...but by no means the majority of them in either country.

Pretty much any country is great to live in if you have a good income and nice home but no country is great to live in if your broke and at the bottom rung of the ladder
Sweeping statement ? Not to sure where you come from but where I come from 14 year old boys are carrying Rambo knives around stabbing each other, young girls are creating OnlyFans accounts selling adult content, drugs are rife, parents are dressing them in designer clothes from a young age I could go on and on,

Spain definitely does have its problems with youth gangs lately in Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla but the botellones that you see around the Costas and the kids even younger actually seem like young kids having a bit of fun to me, if I lived in UK I would be a nervous wreck letting my kid out with friends, they’re growing up way too fast.

You speak to a 16 year old kid from my estate and then speak to a 16 year old kid in Spain, you can tell the difference massively. I don’t read papers I know true facts what I’ve seen with my own eyes.

I did previously say to the OP unless she’s considering moving to a more affluent area in the UK then fair enough but even in them places kids ain’t safe with county lines gangs coming from major cities into those areas,

I also disagree with your sweeping statement about a good income and a nice home, like I said life is not about just about money, you can be more than happy in Spain on an average income and a mediocre home, in the summer you’re hardly in your home anyway. UK is all about money
Old Apr 26th 2022, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
To be honest it is just down to pure personal circumstances isnt it. You can earn money teaching English on the Costas definitely and I’m sure you speak Spanish you can also make money translating on the side.

I am not sure what your husband does for a living but with him being Spanish it would not be hard to put himself out once moved and applying for jobs, people say unemployment is sky high in Spain but their is tonnes of work about so I do not understand that statistic.

So many dirt cheap areas to live on the Costa Blanca, shopping in Mercadona is cheap I do not care what anybody says it is cheap, Torrevieja you can rent a 3 bedroom apartment unfurnished for €400 a month and if you are buying a place its even cheaper.

More to the point your main priority is your kids, UK is no place to take two young kids to live unless you are moving them to a nice upmarket area because the youth culture is a disaster now and I would be frightened to allow them out of the front door, that’s my opinion anyway.

One thing I have realised in recent years is that it is just not all about money, it really aint. Yes you need to eat and keep a roof over your head but I think it’s just so much easier in Spain, the weather, the way of life, great for kids. UK is a rat race, what I love about Spain is I see people who have got near enough next to nothing but they have always got smiles on their faces laughing and joking and that is because a money orientated rat race does not control their lives.

Completely different culture here isnt it and if you adhere to it then you can live cheap and be happy and nothing is stopping your children getting a good higher education here either, they can train in anything they want to be and swan off to Madrid or Barcelona or other parts of Europe working when they are grown up.
In fairness to the OP, while it might not be about money for you or me, you definitely need it when your teenager might have an accident and needs dental treatment. People also talk about weather, but when you have a nice sunny garden now and exchange it for an apartment, the more sunshine hours concept goes out the window. I see it with friends in Spain and many work longer hours and live in apartments where it's shade most of the time. Even in Spain a lot of the younger generation are not interested sitting on the beach all day and not everyone likes to sweat either. Although I wouldn't recommend that the OP should move to the UK without a real plan, I've actually experienced the opposite. Compared to where we are in Ireland and the parts of the UK I've visited recently, I found people to be a lot more relaxed and they also joke and smile. A lot less traffic too and less of the rat race than I see around Barcelona.

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 26th 2022 at 9:20 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes fair enough that’s why I said it’s purely down to personal circumstance and choice but I’m not implying that she and her family move to the Costas to live like they’re on holiday, they live in a place where it gets really hot in summer and really cold in winter so they know about weather and they know about Spain. I hate the heat myself, I hate sweating, I hide away in the summer mostly but I cannot lie the sun puts me in a good mood instantly. Im also saying it does not have to be about money to be happy, weather they have money or not you can simply live a good life with not much money in Spain because the weather and things make up for it, children who have been used to living in Spain all their lives to suddenly move to the UK would have a sharp shock, it does not matter where you go, unless your family are millionaires or really well off then it’s a different story.

Other than that it is grim and bleak im only stating facts.

75 million people live in the uk and most probably are happy enough, that’s only because they’ve never known any different, sometimes you have to look beyond the money situation and care less, hence the reason I’m in Spain in the first place.

i have had Spanish friends say to me in the past that they wish they had of gone to England because you can make more money there, so that means it’s going to improve your life does it ? Spanish friends who hate Spain and the government etc only because that’s all they know and they think there is something better out there for them but then at the same time I have a Spanish friend who is a nurse who had the opportunity to go to the uk and work and she said she would rather have less wages and stay in Spain because England is grim.

Last edited by Albir_Tom; Apr 26th 2022 at 9:44 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
A lot less traffic too and less of the rat race than I see around Barcelona.
Ok so what work is their for a woman who isn’t desired in the job she used to do in the uk and her Spanish husband in these areas that are not rat races like London and Birmingham etc ? With two children ?
Old Apr 26th 2022, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry correction I do not think the OP husband is Spanish but even so
Old Apr 26th 2022, 10:05 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Sorry correction I do not think the OP husband is Spanish but even so
She states that her husband is Spanish in post 26

Rosemary
Old Apr 26th 2022, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rosemary
She states that her husband is Spanish in post 26

Rosemary
I thought so at first but when I read the OP again I thought she was saying that they have been living in CyL for the past 8 years and was thinking about moving back to the UK.

So the question begs, does he speak English and what wanted to make her leave the UK in the first place.

IMO they would be mad to choose the UK over a different part of Spain.

I won’t comment anymore on this thread.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

britishlondon30s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move back to UK or stay in Spain

Thank you all for your comments...

You've all highlighted most the issues I have been raising with myself..

Indeed during lcokdown and CO*******ant a lot of time in our small village and it stemmed from that and the need for some social interaction and being so far from cities doesn't help.

Yes my husband speaks Spanish and luckily has his family here to help us when needed ! UK is home and home is sweet home. I have to think about my kids for the future because the education system they have here in Spain is rubbish ....seems like people are studying well into their thirties and still jobless. However what is of this youth culture in England...quite frankly that scares me more ! I have to admit to myself...England is not quite the same as I left it...life was easier in the 90s but seems lots have changed..

My husband would defo be willing to move someone near the coast/sea within Spain...perhaps closer to cities and even other British people. However my fear would be being so isolated and away from family and on by help especially with young kids.

Also how far will an English academy fetch..perhaps until I'm in my 60s and can claim my pension ??? This is the question I ask myself ? What's the longevity of my job?

Thanks all for putting perspective onto this matter I'm gearing more towards staying put in Spain...increase in petrol prices have not helped during this time where we are living in a small village and go out less.

But we also have to appreciate what we have too ..it's just been a little extreme moving from London to a small Spanish village and maybe finding the balance is the answer.

Thanks all.

remoTouch and hold a clip to pin it. Unpinned clips will be deleted after 1 hour.e vllage .

Last edited by britishlondon30s; Apr 26th 2022 at 10:50 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.