Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Monty Hall problem

The Monty Hall problem

Old Sep 14th 2013, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Monty Hall problem

I don't want either a goat or a Cadillac, therefore I don't care what's in which box. Is that lateral thinking or just plain apathy?
Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:00 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I don't want either a goat or a Cadillac, therefore I don't care what's in which box. Is that lateral thinking or just plain apathy?
Ha ha, I would be happy with both or even better, 1 Cadillac and 2 Goats.

Not that I'm greedy of course, but I think of all that lovely fresh milk every day and I could always use the Cadillac to take my goats to see the Billy every once in a while, that's presuming of course they are Nannies.

If not, knowing a little about Billy goats, then I'd prefer to forget about the whole thing.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:11 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Just a bit of trolling....but can an Arab lose?
Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:23 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Ha ha, I would be happy with both or even better, 1 Cadillac and 2 Goats.

Not that I'm greedy of course, but I think of all that lovely fresh milk every day and I could always use the Cadillac to take my goats to see the Billy every once in a while, that's presuming of course they are Nannies.

If not, knowing a little about Billy goats, then I'd prefer to forget about the whole thing.
I reckon you might argue that goats (and sheep) are all liars anyway?
Old Sep 14th 2013, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
The thing to remember is that your original choice is twice as likely to be a goat than a car and this fact does not change throughout the game.

When the other goat has been eliminated, you are left with a choice of two, your original choice and one other.

Remembering that your original choice is still twice as likely to be a goat than a car then it follows that the only other possible choice is twice as likely to be a car than a goat.
Good explanation.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

I've just seen another about kids.

If you have a son first then you have a greater chance of the second child being a girl.

Same logic.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:16 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
I've just seen another about kids.

If you have a son first then you have a greater chance of the second child being a girl.

Same logic.
Is it really logic ?
If the above explanations are logical, can someone explain the coin tossing theory whereby if you toss a coin 9 times and it comes down as heads 9 times there's still a 50/50 chance of it coming down heads on the tenth throw.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 7:40 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really logic ?
If the above explanations are logical, can someone explain the coin tossing theory whereby if you toss a coin 9 times and it comes down as heads 9 times there's still a 50/50 chance of it coming down heads on the tenth throw.
What would you expect Dick? That it would come down heads again or tails?
Old Sep 15th 2013, 8:45 am
On the road again.

What would you expect Dick? That it would come down heads again or tails?
50/50 is the common theory which I would go along with, but doesn't seem to match up with the theory re the last 2 doors in the caddy/goat conundrum.
Why ?
Old Sep 15th 2013, 9:41 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

50/50 is the common theory which I would go along with, but doesn't seem to match up with the theory re the last 2 doors in the caddy/goat conundrum.
Why ?
In the goat/caddy situation, having made your initial choice, you are then given a further piece of information which gives you a huge clue as to the location of the caddy.

The coin conundrum is different. The toss of a fair coin is always 50/50. Some people assume that it it falls 9 times heads that the 10th is more likely to be a tail as 10 tosses should result in 5 heads and 5 tails and the sequence should attempt revert to the norm. This is the Gamblers Fallacy and involves the notion that future random events are influenced by previous iterations.

The two problems are different. I wish I could explain better but I'm not good enough. We need an expert on the laws of probability.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 9:56 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

In the goat/caddy situation, having made your initial choice, you are then given a further piece of information which gives you a huge clue as to the location of the caddy.

The coin conundrum is different. The toss of a fair coin is always 50/50. Some people assume that it it falls 9 times heads that the 10th is more likely to be a tail as 10 tosses should result in 5 heads and 5 tails and the sequence should attempt revert to the norm. This is the Gamblers Fallacy and involves the notion that future random events are influenced by previous iterations.

The two problems are different. I wish I could explain better but I'm not good enough. We need an expert on the laws of probability.
I'm no expert, but for sure the tenth toss is 50/50. Regardless of any history.

However if you say up front 'what the probability of 10 heads' then the probability of that is 2 power of 10 , 1024.

Jon
Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:35 am
On the road again.

Right, I'm trying it from a different perspective.
The punter started off with a one in three chance of success.
If I assume that the original one in three chance still applied after a goat has been revealed, then maybe that would explain the theory, or am I barking up the wrong tree. ?

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Sep 15th 2013 at 11:14 am. Reason: typo
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Right, I'm trying it from a different perspective.
The punter started off with a one in three chance of success.
If I assume that the original one in three chance still applied after a goat has been revealed, then maybe that would explain the theory, or am I barking up the wrong tree. ?
You're on the right track.

You had a I in 3 chance of winning the car when you chose your box
The other boxes carry the same odds.

The host reveals a goat.

You are offered a swap

You know now that that the car is in one of the other two boxes, either the one you chose or the remaining box. So your chances of winning have increased.

The odds on your box containing a goat are 2 to 1 because there are twice as many goats as there are cars.

So your box is still twice as likely to have a goat than a car even after the box revealing the goat has been opened. Just because you now know where a goat is does not change the original odds, it's the same game.

Therefore if your box (one of the remaining two) is still twice as likely to have a goat then switching is the sensible option.

Does this help? It is quite difficult to explain.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 1:07 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
You're on the right track.

You had a I in 3 chance of winning the car when you chose your box
The other boxes carry the same odds.

The host reveals a goat.

You are offered a swap

You know now that that the car is in one of the other two boxes, either the one you chose or the remaining box. So your chances of winning have increased.

The odds on your box containing a goat are 2 to 1 because there are twice as many goats as there are cars.

So your box is still twice as likely to have a goat than a car even after the box revealing the goat has been opened. Just because you now know where a goat is does not change the original odds, it's the same game.

Therefore if your box (one of the remaining two) is still twice as likely to have a goat then switching is the sensible option.

Does this help? It is quite difficult to explain.
What I find interesting is how different people need a different explanation until one works.

This one worked for me as posted in post 12
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=12

But the more 'verbal' ones in this thread don't work for me personally...

Vive la difference

Jon
Old Sep 15th 2013, 1:48 pm
On the road again.

So I presume switching has worked out at a 66% success rate in practice after a million zillion or so attempts, all things other things being equal and the law of averages applied ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.