Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Making A Living In Spain

Making A Living In Spain

Old May 7th 2008, 3:00 am
  #31  
The Best Fed Scot
 
Lochy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: San Sebastian
Posts: 565
Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Originally Posted by Palmera
Exactly!! Lochy must be deluded to think otherwise! I speak spanish well enough to know what is being said.




Locky wrote - Watch out those dishonest locals don’t overcharge you on your copy of the Daily Mail now.

heehee-your comment about me buying a Daily Mail here made me .....it is impossible to buy it within my vicinity...or anything english for that matter..which is what we enjoy about here.
My comment was specific to the story, not generally. And i don't think you leapt to the wrong conclusion because your spanish was bad, but more likely because of the british rumour mill that exaggerateas all these things.

OK, ok. don't know where you live. You now read it on the net now then!!?? Or you've changed to el mundo. or ABC!!??

Last edited by Lochy; May 7th 2008 at 3:37 am.
Lochy is offline  
Old May 7th 2008, 6:38 am
  #32  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Costa de la Luz
Posts: 173
Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Originally Posted by Lochy
My comment was specific to the story, not generally. And i don't think you leapt to the wrong conclusion because your spanish was bad, but more likely because of the british rumour mill that exaggerateas all these things. .
I have no idea whatsoever about a "british rumourmill"


Originally Posted by Lochy
OK, ok. don't know where you live.
If you had bothered to read my first post properly, you wouldn´t be jumping to so many wrong conclusions yourself...It started "I was at a café at the beach today, near Huelva..." - spot the clue?
Palmera is offline  
Old May 7th 2008, 8:39 am
  #33  
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,359
crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

I don't think that there are many people on this expat site that are so nieve to think that this sort of thing only goes on in Spain, and if there are peeps here that think that then you should get out more often.

I through my own choice live in a holiday area, not very popular with Brits but it is and has been a very up market place for Spanish and Germans to come and unwind through July and August. There are more privately owned holiday homes and 5 star hotels here then there are topless posers on the beach. I fully expect bars/cafes/restaurants to put up prices in the summer after all they have to earn as much as they can to sustain the long winter months. Unlike other costa's there really isn't a winter trade to be had here and many establishments close for the winter, I have noticed this spring there are a lot more places that are up for sale/transfer.

I do however feel very strongly about the way I am treated by some bars in the summer months, after supporting them through the winter months and building up a relationship with the staff often being their only customer on a chilly December day. I find that when the wealthy tourist arrives we are ignored completely by the very people that fall over themselves to serve us between November and March. Please don't think I am generalizing, I'm talking about a very small percentage of people who think a quick buck is better than the steady euro.

All through the year we have many people come over form the UK to stay with us and we eat out a lot, it has been blatant the difference in the service that we get comparing winter to summer. So much so we have now stopped using these places, I shouldn't think for one moment they have even noticed that we no longer go there. Like most locals we use the local venta and on the whole have no complaints about the service or price that we are charge, but there are local business's that do have a sliding scale for charges, not just bars but building merchants and such like. The local shop we buy our gas from can't even make up it's mind how much to charge us for a bottle of gas, we have bought gas there for 5 years paying one price when the owner serves us to three other prices when other members of the family serve us. Give and take, it's all swings and roundabouts but there are people that really take the piss out of others and yes I can hear you say it happens all over the world but because it does it doesn't make it right.

I sore I wasn't going to say this but you know what I am really quite an anal obsessive compulsive type of person and I can't let this go, it really niggles me the way Brits are treated compared to the way Germans are. I like nothing better than to sit in a bar and watch the world go by and I have become very observant to what goes on in life, sad I know but then that's me.

Only yesterday I was in a very popular tourist bar with about 30 people sitting around 8 or 9 tables all Germans except for 3 Brits most people were drinking beer and I know from using this bar a lot (we get special local price's when we use it) that if you order a beer you get free olives. Well yes you do if you are German but not if you are British, this was not a one off it happens all the time. I know, I know very petty of me and don't use the bar again if you're such a shallow person to get up set over it. The question I ask my self so often is why the difference in service after all it's only a bowl of bloody olives.

People who say these things don't happen or retort "it's the same in England" are really just a narrow minded as the people that complain about all and sundry, if we don' like something then we should vote with our feet but I also think it is up to each of us to say what we really think because until we stand up for what is right we will continue to receive crap service.
crispy is offline  
Old May 7th 2008, 8:49 am
  #34  
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 157
bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Originally Posted by crispy
if you order a beer you get free olives. Well yes you do if you are German but not if you are British
Maybe the Germans eat the olives instead of turning up their noses.
bokeh is offline  
Old May 7th 2008, 9:03 am
  #35  
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,359
crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Originally Posted by bokeh
Maybe the Germans eat the olives instead of turning up their noses.
Get a life, I don't know many Brits that turn there nose up at free food.
crispy is offline  
Old May 7th 2008, 9:13 am
  #36  
The Best Fed Scot
 
Lochy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: San Sebastian
Posts: 565
Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

I understand that it’s frustrating when a place becomes your own, and then they turn their back on you. I don’t justify what these guys have done, bad service is bad service and you’re damn right you should complain.

But listen to yourself. The Germans get free olives and we don’t. They get it because we’re British and they’re German. Do you really think a waiter gives a toss if he’s giving you a plate of olives or not? To a bar that plate costs 0.0001 euros. It’s more likely an oversight, or because they give olives to people after the 2nd round, or when they order more than three beers…101 reasons. But honestly, they don’t give a damn, nor do they probably even notice if you’re british or german…
Lochy is offline  
Old May 7th 2008, 9:18 am
  #37  
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 157
bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Originally Posted by crispy
Get a life, I don't know many Brits that turn there nose up at free food.
Lot's of Brits have never even seen an olive let alone eaten one. Most think a salad is something rabbits eat and when they try to make one it consists of a radish, a spring onion and a couple of slices of cucumber.
bokeh is offline  
Old May 7th 2008, 9:28 am
  #38  
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,359
crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Originally Posted by Lochy
I understand that it’s frustrating when a place becomes your own, and then they turn their back on you. I don’t justify what these guys have done, bad service is bad service and you’re damn right you should complain.

But listen to yourself. The Germans get free olives and we don’t. They get it because we’re British and they’re German. Do you really think a waiter gives a toss if he’s giving you a plate of olives or not? To a bar that plate costs 0.0001 euros. It’s more likely an oversight, or because they give olives to people after the 2nd round, or when they order more than three beers…101 reasons. But honestly, they don’t give a damn, nor do they probably even notice if you’re british or german…
Lochy, listen to yourself, coals to Newcastle. Did I not say I was a sad, anal, obsesive complusive who neede to get a life. See this is what happens when you retire to early to much time on ones hands causing the mind to become paraniod. Oh another thing that has happened to me since retiring is when I am hanging out the washing I use different coloured pegs. Well now I have to use the same colour in a single piece of clothing, you know the sort of thing, one shirt, two pegs needed, but now both have to be red or blue can't use one red and one blue. This is driving the OH mad because he has to hang the washing out now because it was taking me ages to do it, after he has finished I go out and change all the pegs around so they match. He went out last week and bought me a whole new load of wooden pegs and threw the coloured plastic ones in the bin.
crispy is offline  
Old May 7th 2008, 9:31 am
  #39  
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,359
crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Originally Posted by bokeh
Lot's of Brits have never even seen an olive let alone eaten one. Most think a salad is something rabbits eat and when they try to make one it consists of a radish, a spring onion and a couple of slices of cucumber.
We obviously don't mix in the same social circle.
crispy is offline  
Old May 7th 2008, 9:32 am
  #40  
The Best Fed Scot
 
Lochy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: San Sebastian
Posts: 565
Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Originally Posted by crispy
Lochy, listen to yourself, coals to Newcastle. Did I not say I was a sad, anal, obsesive complusive who neede to get a life. See this is what happens when you retire to early to much time on ones hands causing the mind to become paraniod. Oh another thing that has happened to me since retiring is when I am hanging out the washing I use different coloured pegs. Well now I have to use the same colour in a single piece of clothing, you know the sort of thing, one shirt, two pegs needed, but now both have to be red or blue can't use one red and one blue. This is driving the OH mad because he has to hang the washing out now because it was taking me ages to do it, after he has finished I go out and change all the pegs around so they match. He went out last week and bought me a whole new load of wooden pegs and threw the coloured plastic ones in the bin.
I can't imagine what would happen if they brought you a plate with green and black olives then. We may have world war 3 breaking out.
Lochy is offline  
Old May 7th 2008, 9:36 am
  #41  
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,359
crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Originally Posted by Lochy
I can't imagine what would happen if they brought you a plate with green and black olives then. We may have world war 3 breaking out.
Don't start me off on food, I eat practically anything but it has to be cut correctly otherwise I find it really hard to eat it, god I'm even beginning to frighten myself now
crispy is offline  
Old May 7th 2008, 9:41 am
  #42  
BE Forum Addict
 
DebsyW's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Lovely Lancashire
Posts: 2,631
DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Crispy, you are fab! If you didn`t have Mal and I was a lesbian.... I would marry you I tried karma but I keep being told to spread myself more!
DebsyW is offline  
Old May 7th 2008, 9:48 am
  #43  
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,359
crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Originally Posted by DebsyW
Crispy, you are fab! If you didn`t have Mal and I was a lesbian.... I would marry you I tried karma but I keep being told to spread myself more!
You say that now DebsyW, but why do you think my first hubby didn't talk to me for 30 odd years, Mal has the patience of a saint and I know full well where my bread is buttered, even if it is not done to my liking
crispy is offline  
Old May 7th 2008, 8:42 pm
  #44  
BE Forum Addict
 
DebsyW's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Lovely Lancashire
Posts: 2,631
DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Originally Posted by crispy
You say that now DebsyW, but why do you think my first hubby didn't talk to me for 30 odd years, Mal has the patience of a saint and I know full well where my bread is buttered, even if it is not done to my liking
ha ha ha ..... and now I love you more!!
DebsyW is offline  
Old May 8th 2008, 1:11 am
  #45  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Costa de la Luz
Posts: 173
Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Originally Posted by crispy
I don't think that there are many people on this expat site that are so nieve to think that this sort of thing only goes on in Spain, and if there are peeps here that think that then you should get out more often.

I through my own choice live in a holiday area, not very popular with Brits but it is and has been a very up market place for Spanish and Germans to come and unwind through July and August. There are more privately owned holiday homes and 5 star hotels here then there are topless posers on the beach. I fully expect bars/cafes/restaurants to put up prices in the summer after all they have to earn as much as they can to sustain the long winter months. Unlike other costa's there really isn't a winter trade to be had here and many establishments close for the winter, I have noticed this spring there are a lot more places that are up for sale/transfer.

I do however feel very strongly about the way I am treated by some bars in the summer months, after supporting them through the winter months and building up a relationship with the staff often being their only customer on a chilly December day. I find that when the wealthy tourist arrives we are ignored completely by the very people that fall over themselves to serve us between November and March. Please don't think I am generalizing, I'm talking about a very small percentage of people who think a quick buck is better than the steady euro.

All through the year we have many people come over form the UK to stay with us and we eat out a lot, it has been blatant the difference in the service that we get comparing winter to summer. So much so we have now stopped using these places, I shouldn't think for one moment they have even noticed that we no longer go there. Like most locals we use the local venta and on the whole have no complaints about the service or price that we are charge, but there are local business's that do have a sliding scale for charges, not just bars but building merchants and such like. The local shop we buy our gas from can't even make up it's mind how much to charge us for a bottle of gas, we have bought gas there for 5 years paying one price when the owner serves us to three other prices when other members of the family serve us. Give and take, it's all swings and roundabouts but there are people that really take the piss out of others and yes I can hear you say it happens all over the world but because it does it doesn't make it right.

I sore I wasn't going to say this but you know what I am really quite an anal obsessive compulsive type of person and I can't let this go, it really niggles me the way Brits are treated compared to the way Germans are. I like nothing better than to sit in a bar and watch the world go by and I have become very observant to what goes on in life, sad I know but then that's me.

Only yesterday I was in a very popular tourist bar with about 30 people sitting around 8 or 9 tables all Germans except for 3 Brits most people were drinking beer and I know from using this bar a lot (we get special local price's when we use it) that if you order a beer you get free olives. Well yes you do if you are German but not if you are British, this was not a one off it happens all the time. I know, I know very petty of me and don't use the bar again if you're such a shallow person to get up set over it. The question I ask my self so often is why the difference in service after all it's only a bowl of bloody olives.

People who say these things don't happen or retort "it's the same in England" are really just a narrow minded as the people that complain about all and sundry, if we don' like something then we should vote with our feet but I also think it is up to each of us to say what we really think because until we stand up for what is right we will continue to receive crap service.

Well said Crispy!! You have got it abso bloody lutely spot on!!!
Palmera is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.