Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Making A Living In Spain

Making A Living In Spain

Old May 5th 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Making A Living In Spain

I was talking to the owner of our local cafe and I commented how it is difficult to make money in Spain, he thought for a moment and said I was very wrong...."its impossible!" he exclaimed ,I think many would agree.

Rgds

Rotor
Old May 5th 2008, 4:21 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Thanks for the laugh. A bit like the old one that says it is easy to make a small fortune running a restaurant, providing you start with a large one!!
Old May 6th 2008, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

i was in a cafe at the beach today, near Huelva. On going to pay, the woman shouted to her husband (they own the cafe), "how much shall i charge the foreign girl)-(in spanish, naturally)
Thankfully, as i was about to do one, the hubby came out, and said "the same as everyone else"!!
it shows that now the holiday makers are turning up in thir campervans etc, "some" of the bar owners see it as a way of conning money out of them!
We have frequented this bar a handful of times, and told the owner, that due to his wifes behaviour, they will be seeing neither ourselves or many friends/family that visit during the year!
Old May 6th 2008, 7:49 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Palmera
i was in a cafe at the beach today, near Huelva. On going to pay, the woman shouted to her husband (they own the cafe), "how much shall i charge the foreign girl)-(in spanish, naturally)
Thankfully, as i was about to do one, the hubby came out, and said "the same as everyone else"!!
it shows that now the holiday makers are turning up in thir campervans etc, "some" of the bar owners see it as a way of conning money out of them!
We have frequented this bar a handful of times, and told the owner, that due to his wifes behaviour, they will be seeing neither ourselves or many friends/family that visit during the year!
Maybe she just wasn't sure how much to charge you.
Old May 6th 2008, 8:17 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

What?

Eh?

Am I in the twilight zone here?
Old May 6th 2008, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lochy
Maybe she just wasn't sure how much to charge you.
2 coffees and 2 tostada enteras.....probably something she is asked for 30 times a day!!!we are talking about the owner, not a casual worker!
Old May 6th 2008, 8:23 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
What?

Eh?

Am I in the twilight zone here?
por...?
Old May 6th 2008, 8:24 pm
The Best Fed Scot

2 coffees and 2 tostada enteras.....probably something she is asked for 30 times a day!!!we are talking about the owner, not a casual worker!
maybe she didn't remember what you had, assumed you didn't speak spanish, and asked her husband how much...
Old May 6th 2008, 8:24 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

por...?
Its just an odd post, with little point and replied in a bizarre fashion.

Welcome back by the way, I wondered where you were the other day.
Old May 6th 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

maybe she didn't remember what you had, assumed you didn't speak spanish, and asked her husband how much...

we were the only ones in there, as we timed it to miss the rush &she served us when i asked for them in spanish....

i racked my brains and there was no excuse...so i spoke to the husband who we have seen on the other occasions...all he could do was apologise for her!..i dont like to think of all the holidaymakers she will be conning this summer tho, who wont know what shes saying/doing!
Old May 6th 2008, 8:47 pm
The Best Fed Scot

we were the only ones in there, as we timed it to miss the rush &she served us when i asked for them in spanish....

i racked my brains and there was no excuse...so i spoke to the husband who we have seen on the other occasions...all he could do was apologise for her!..i dont like to think of all the holidaymakers she will be conning this summer tho, who wont know what shes saying/doing!
Would you have had the same reaction if she'd said, "cuanto cobro la chica guapa??" or "cuanto cobro la mujer del carnicero?". I suspect if they were out to con foreigners, they would have some incredibly advanced cunning plan set out before hand, like, just adding 20% on to all foreigners.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick and owe these people an apology.
Old May 6th 2008, 9:05 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Its just an odd post, with little point and replied in a bizarre fashion.

Welcome back by the way, I wondered where you were the other day.
True!

I think the suggestion palmera was trying to make was that the only way to make money was to con poor unsuspecting brits out of their hard earned cash.

How've you been, you out in spain now?
Old May 6th 2008, 9:29 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

If your Spanish is not perfect (I have spotted the mistake in 2 tostada enteras) I am sure you misunderstood, I know the economy is at a very low point, but I do not think they were out to con you.
Old May 6th 2008, 10:04 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by me me
If your Spanish is not perfect (I have spotted the mistake in 2 tostada enteras) I am sure you misunderstood, I know the economy is at a very low point, but I do not think they were out to con you.
Well I know for a fact that in this area holiday makers get charged a higher price than the locals in many bars. Locals being brits as well but still not fair on the holiday maker
Old May 6th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispy
Well I know for a fact that in this area holiday makers get charged a higher price than the locals in many bars. Locals being brits as well but still not fair on the holiday maker
That really doesn't bother me - I think we (holiday makers) derserve to sub the locals, for all the bloody inconvienience we cause.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.