Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Making A Living In Spain

Making A Living In Spain

Old May 6th 2008, 10:35 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Making A Living In Spain

Originally Posted by leighbloke
That really doesn't bother me - I think we (holiday makers) derserve to sub the locals, for all the bloody inconvienience we cause.
I second that During the summer months we have been charged higher prices than in the winter months by waiters who don't know us, if we don't get charged extra we often get smaller drinks now that really does piss me off.
Old May 6th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispy
I second that
But when one travels so far to visit friends I equally think they should pay for everything.
Old May 6th 2008, 10:42 am

But when one travels so far to visit friends I equally think they should pay for everything.
Your staying in a hotel........not with me
Old May 6th 2008, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Your staying in a hotel........not with me
Yes, but I didn't want to disturb your loving.
Old May 6th 2008, 10:48 am

Yes, but I didn't want to disturb your loving.
Talking of luvving, I have really sore knees and a bad back must ask Mal to give me a quick rub down with an oily rag before bedtime.
Old May 6th 2008, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Talking of luvving, I have really sore knees and a bad back must ask Mal to give me a quick rub down with an oily rag before bedtime.
Thats a proper combination, I'm sure he does better than an oily rag.
Old May 6th 2008, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

Well I know for a fact that in this area holiday makers get charged a higher price than the locals in many bars. Locals being brits as well but still not fair on the holiday maker

During the summer months we have been charged higher prices than in the winter months by waiters who don't know us, if we don't get charged extra we often get smaller drinks now that really does piss me off.

Thankyou Crispy. It does happen frequently in this area now summer is approaching! It is a shame Lochy "got the wrong end of the stick" and implied I was wrong.

Lochy wrote : I think you've got the wrong end of the stick and owe these people an apology.

I think nor Lochy!!! Maybe you´re the one who owes me an apology!...and what part of "the husband could only apologise for his wife" did you not understand? Would he not have put me right if i had misheard

In all, it is a shame that this happens each summer. I notice it more as we have moved here from an all spanish area, where prices never hardly rose!
Old May 6th 2008, 8:46 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Palmera
Thankyou Crispy. It does happen frequently in this area now summer is approaching! It is a shame Lochy "got the wrong end of the stick" and implied I was wrong.

Lochy wrote : I think you've got the wrong end of the stick and owe these people an apology.

I think nor Lochy!!! Maybe you´re the one who owes me an apology!...and what part of "the husband could only apologise for his wife" did you not understand? Would he not have put me right if i had misheard

In all, it is a shame that this happens each summer. I notice it more as we have moved here from an all spanish area, where prices never hardly rose!
Here we go… more myth on the rumour mill. The owner probably didn’t have a clue what you were talking about and just wanted to diffuse the situation the easiest way he could see. Nothing in your post suggests that they were going to overcharge you for being a foreigner – maybe these were your own prejudices causing you to leap to conclusions.

Watch out those dishonest locals don’t overcharge you on your copy of the Daily Mail now.

Prices go up in summer in tourist areas? You don't say...
Old May 6th 2008, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Experience not from a bar but a small village supermarket butcher. A new british resident found he was paying about 1.5 times the price for costillas (damn good ones though) than the locals were paying. One day a local was with him and saw the overcharge and reprimanded the butcher, telling him that the brit was a new resident in the village and should pay the resident price not the tourist price. I made sure I went first time to get these good costillas with a known local and was immediately charged the local price. 10 euros for 3 whole racks of really good costillas was much cheaper than I can get in the big supermarkets but it is clear in that example that there is some double pricing for residents and tourists. In other places such as in Sevilla city, they dont up the price but they do cut down the size of tapas for tourists and sometimes a quick "oy, I am not a tourist here" gets a top up and a sly smile.
Old May 6th 2008, 9:32 pm
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

If you don't want to be charged tourist prices don't go to tourist areas.

Here's an example: It's the law throughout Spain that all restaurants offer a menu, i.e. a main course (optionally 2 dishes), with a salad, desert, drink and coffee at a set price (based on the price of the main course). In Spanish areas/restaurants this is what many people order. If the sum parts were ordered separately the bill would be double or more. In Spanish areas the menu of the day is usual posted outside as most prominent element, but in tourist areas it is often not mentioned at all, which is ironic as it was introduced to promote tourism. By the way just because it is not mentioned doesn't mean it doesn't exist; it does; you just have to make a point to ask for it.

Personally I try to avoid eating in tourist areas (or any establishment where there are picture menus like at the beach), if at all possible, because generally the food is not as good, the service is poor, the prices are high, the furniture is designed for a picnic and normally everything is coated in a fine layer of sand.

Last edited by bokeh; May 6th 2008 at 9:37 pm.
Old May 6th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure its a worldwide thing to rip off the tourists incl the London toursits !! just have to check your bills - its always better to get a print out from the till if poss
Old May 6th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

There are as many con artists in Spain as anywhere else in the world ,if you believe any different you are deluded.

Rgds

Rotor
Old May 7th 2008, 12:12 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
There are as many con artists in Spain as anywhere else in the world ,if you believe any different you are deluded.

Rgds

Rotor
Some appear to do it legally, like on the toll roads. ;-((
Old May 7th 2008, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

Rgds

Rotor

Exactly!! Lochy must be deluded to think otherwise! I speak spanish well enough to know what is being said.

Locky wrote - Watch out those dishonest locals don’t overcharge you on your copy of the Daily Mail now.

heehee-your comment about me buying a Daily Mail here made me .....it is impossible to buy it within my vicinity...or anything english for that matter..which is what we enjoy about here.
Old May 7th 2008, 2:03 am
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

I was talking to the owner of our local cafe and I commented how it is difficult to make money in Spain, he thought for a moment and said I was very wrong...."its impossible!" he exclaimed
I think it's very possible. A crippling factor though is borrowing money to get started. If you don't need to and you have good business ideas and sense there shouldn't be a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.