Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

IS LIFE GETTING A LOT HARDER

IS LIFE GETTING A LOT HARDER

Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:26 pm
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of
Default IS LIFE GETTING A LOT HARDER

hi everyone as most of you know on here me and my girlfriend are making the move to spain in a few weeks very excited , but i cant help but still read about how many are moving back to the uk and how many people are struggling to pay there morgages out there and are even handing there keys back to the banks just to get away from the misery of it all ,tell me you guys and girls who live in spain is life getting a lot harder out there ?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS LIFE GETTING A LOT HARDER

Originally Posted by pjj
hi everyone as most of you know on here me and my girlfriend are making the move to spain in a few weeks very excited , but i cant help but still read about how many are moving back to the uk and how many people are struggling to pay there morgages out there and are even handing there keys back to the banks just to get away from the misery of it all ,tell me you guys and girls who live in spain is life getting a lot harder out there ?
its not only Spain where things are a lot harder at the mo...but course English people in England cant leave to go back anywhere...over the last few years there have been lots of expats leaving Spain and heading back to England and people I know are struggling to pay their mortgages in Spain and some have even considered handing the keys back (incl a Spanish friend of ours)

good luck with the move over, it wont all be a bed of roses.....you just have to be realistic about things
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you don't have to find work here and have a nice steady income from the UK or somewhere else, it's fine!!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pjj
Most people will tell you it's getting harder * everywhere *, you would need to be very lucky or wealthy not be be finding things harder of late, that goes for Spain too.

Someone I spoke to in the removals business in Spain was telling me they are busy with many British moving away... but not generally to the UK, they seem to be spreading out to other places with only some of them going back to the UK.

Last edited by Econ; Jul 7th 2009 at 9:43 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I cant say about Spain, obviously, but personally, I think things are getting easier here. Yeah I know, the news and the Daily Mail will tell you all sorts of guff, but from what I am hearing from REAL people and what I hear in passing, from other people who I speak to, they feel work is starting to increase and that there is definitely more out there.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:51 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I cant say about Spain, obviously, but personally, I think things are getting easier here. Yeah I know, the news and the Daily Mail will tell you all sorts of guff, but from what I am hearing from REAL people and what I hear in passing, from other people who I speak to, they feel work is starting to increase and that there is definitely more out there.
Where is here?

Cos it doesn't seem to be getting any better in the N.W. of England
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:52 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lic
Where is here?

Cos it doesn't seem to be getting any better in the N.W. of England
Ah you see, there is your problem, you live in the North West!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:00 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
As long as you don't have to find work here and have a nice steady income from the UK or somewhere else, it's fine!!
Except the abysmal exchange rate means your fixed income is a third less than it used to be and prices in Spain are rising at a rate of knots.

I have been in the UK for five weks (England and Wales) and without fail every supermarket I have been in has been cheaper than the Spanish ones, and with really good special offers and BOGOFS; the Co-op has really good local produce too. I got six low energy lightbulbs for £27p from Morrisons! Other shops follow a similar pattern, especially DIY shops - I have found in Spain that quite often you either can't get the product at all or it is horrendously expensive. They seem to have put prices up for the recession instead of down. Also Spanish supermarkets never seem to mark down food that is going out of date - they just let it sit on the shelves until it goes mouldy.

Spain imho is no longer the cheap place it used to be.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 7:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
I got six low energy lightbulbs for £27p from Morrisons!
Oh dear ...... 6 low energy light bulbs here in Oliva cost me €18
Old Jul 8th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to bear in mind is that britain has a vast welfare system. Whether you think that's good or bad, it does mean that when you fall on hard times, there are many, many organisations, grants, hand-outs, loans, payments and benefits you are entitled to. Provided you are not too proud to claim, are prepared to put up with al the faffing about and haven't made any fundamental mistakes then the state will provide.

However, what you'll find in Spain (and probably most other countries whether in the EU or not) is that these safety nets don't exist - or have far more stringent qualifications. In Spain expect the benefits people to simply shrug their shoulders and tell you to go back and live with your parents, or that there's no money, or that you haven't paid into the system, of that you can only get pay-outs for a limited time, or other things that I haven't thought of.

That's why so many brits are headed "home" - 'cos that's where the money is, if you haven't got any of your own.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 7:42 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes ...... when I came here the rate of exchange was 1.38 and rose subsequently to 1.49 ..... now its under 1.20 so we lost a lot of income

Yes, of course prices have gone up here in Spain.

So of course I'm not as well of in Spain as I was when I came here.

But I do go back to the UK, and I was there last month and people should compare the whole package, not just supermarket costs.

Here I pay €400 a year "council tax"
I pay €100 a year road tax
I pay about €120 a year water
My supermarket bills are cheaper, and the quality is better

So although this isnt supposed to be a comparison test, I'd say yes it is harder than it was, say, two years ago ......... but its damned better than the quality of life and cost of living that I would experience back in the UK still.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:39 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
One thing to bear in mind is that britain has a vast welfare system. Whether you think that's good or bad, it does mean that when you fall on hard times, there are many, many organisations, grants, hand-outs, loans, payments and benefits you are entitled to. Provided you are not too proud to claim, are prepared to put up with al the faffing about and haven't made any fundamental mistakes then the state will provide.

However, what you'll find in Spain (and probably most other countries whether in the EU or not) is that these safety nets don't exist - or have far more stringent qualifications. In Spain expect the benefits people to simply shrug their shoulders and tell you to go back and live with your parents, or that there's no money, or that you haven't paid into the system, of that you can only get pay-outs for a limited time, or other things that I haven't thought of.

That's why so many brits are headed "home" - 'cos that's where the money is, if you haven't got any of your own.
Very true, the welfare state in the UK is a strong pull for expats who are struggling in Spain. Despite the reports that the British pension is the lowest in the EU (which I dont belive), there are top ups with housing benefit and council tax benefit. It may be cheaper to pay 400 a year community charge in Spain, than pay nearly 2K council tax. But when the chips are down, you will always have to pay the 400euro tax in Spain, whereas you can claim full relief on the UK council tax. Ditto for the rent. For folks who have fallen on hard times, the UK comes up trumps.
Spain does not look after its own people, but then again we dont, think this is bad. I do because I have seen the way people are helped in the UK.
When I tell my family about the benefits to be had there, that there are people who have never worked a day in their lives and still claim benefits, they think I am crazy or a liar.

Regards,

JLFS
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:43 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Those of us who are intent on staying in Spain are only able to because we have a 'UK' income to sustain us, mostly some sort of pension. Without that, we would also be going back, because in the UK the state looks after us, and the Spanish state doesn't, not even its own, at least not properly.

Unemployment in Spain is at chronic levels and the 'manufactured' jobs, like road repairs, are for Spanish people only. With more people leaving and fewer people arriving, British businesses are closing all over the place, I could quote umpteen example here, and that's apart from the bars.

I think that the actual living costs, taking everything into account, are about the same, the Spanish cheapness from years ago has gone.

The weather in Spain is still better than in the UK.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:45 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Those of us who are intent on staying in Spain are only able to because we have a 'UK' income to sustain us, mostly some sort of pension. Without that, we would also be going back, because in the UK the state looks after us, and the Spanish state doesn't, not even its own, at least not properly.

Unemployment in Spain is at chronic levels and the 'manufactured' jobs, like road repairs, are for Spanish people only. With more people leaving and fewer people arriving, British businesses are closing all over the place, I could quote umpteen example here, and that's apart from the bars.

I think that the actual living costs, taking everything into account, are about the same, the Spanish cheapness from years ago has gone.

The weather in Spain is still better than in the UK.
just about everyone I know that is still doing OK here has an income from another country
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:49 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Oh dear ...... 6 low energy light bulbs here in Oliva cost me €18
Its all about Aldi and Lidl with you innit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.