Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

IS LIFE GETTING A LOT HARDER

IS LIFE GETTING A LOT HARDER

Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: IS LIFE GETTING A LOT HARDER

Originally Posted by scampicat
Nor in the UK, although the same amount of money would probably be made up by another benefit.
Which is why I said zilch for self employed in Spain.

There are no benefits full stop as in no pension credits, no council tax relief, no assistance to pay rent or mortgage interest, no family credit no unemployment benefit all of which are freely available to anyone in the UK irrespective of their contribution record.

I am not sure if it is true but have read that free health entitlement ceases after 3 months after a self employed person stops paying into the system

Last edited by whitelinen; Jul 8th 2009 at 6:46 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cricketman
If I lose my job in Spain I get 70% of my salary up to 1,400 euros a month. Sounds a lot better than the £60 a week you get at in the UK. ok it only lasts between 6months-5 years depending how long you worked, but stil.....

Also, if your company wants to sack you they have to pay you 45 days salary for every year you have worked. I know someone who got a 100k euros payoff cos they had worked for 30 years

In that respect Spain wins hands down
Why does it?

Employees who lose their jobs in UK get redundancy money and I know of people in quite ordinary jobs in the UK who were given much more than 100K to quit their job.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 7:15 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Why does it?

Employees who lose their jobs in UK get redundancy money and I know of people in quite ordinary jobs in the UK who were given much more than 100K to quit their job.
A large proportion of employees in the UK are now on temporary contracts, casual workers etc (I believe it's the same in Spain) and so get no redundancy money when the company sheds jobs. A typical example was BMW in Cowley a few months ago - they were forced to lay off hundreds of staff, who were unable to take any redundancy payments as they were "agency staff" despite in some cases having worked for BMW for 5 or 6 years.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Not for a full pension.

Los trabajadores autónomos que tengan 65 o más años de edad y acrediten 35 años o más de cotización efectiva, a la Seguridad Social, les será de aplicación la exoneración de cuotas, salvo por incapacidad temporal y en su caso por contingencias profesionales, de acuerdo con lo establecido en la disposición adicional trigésima segunda de la Ley General de la Seguridad Social.
(taken from the seg social web site)
Still nine years less than the UK at the moment though.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:37 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

If I lose my job in Spain I get 70% of my salary up to 1,400 euros a month. Sounds a lot better than the £60 a week you get at in the UK. ok it only lasts between 6months-5 years depending how long you worked, but stil.....

Also, if your company wants to sack you they have to pay you 45 days salary for every year you have worked. I know someone who got a 100k euros payoff cos they had worked for 30 years

Fine, in principal but the majority of people, Spanish included never get more than a six month contract. Not much redundancy there.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:38 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Still nine years less than the UK at the moment though.
Anyone in the UK reaching State Retirement age after 6th April 2010 will only need 30 years' worth of contributions for a full State Pension.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:45 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard of anyone getting 5 years dole, 2 is the max. It is true about the 45 days pay if you get sacked, but a lot of companies change names and stuff the workers, because all rights are lost in the change.

70 per cent may sound good, but if you are on a salary of 1000 a month that means you will get 700 and there are some stoppages taken out, not much, but some.

It may be fine for a single person, but if you have a spouse and kiddies and are renting, you would be better off in the UK, with housing benefit and such plus extra payments for dependants.

Also 2 years passes quickly and the peace of mind you have knowing that dole is forever in the UK is worth a great deal.

Regards,

JLFS
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:26 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Which is why I said zilch for self employed in Spain.

There are no benefits full stop as in no pension credits, no council tax relief, no assistance to pay rent or mortgage interest, no family credit no unemployment benefit all of which are freely available to anyone in the UK irrespective of their contribution record.

I am not sure if it is true but have read that free health entitlement ceases after 3 months after a self employed person stops paying into the system
true
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
<snip>A large proportion of employees in the UK are now on temporary contracts, casual workers etc (I believe it's the same in Spain) <snip>.
Is that true? I know I'm somewhat out of touch with the jobs market from a personal basis, but when my elder son got a job & was given a 4 year contract with the British Museum recently I was miffed for him, thinking he'd been shafted & should have had open-ended like I was used to...... sounds as though it was a good deal better than many, though.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 8:19 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Anyone in the UK reaching State Retirement age after 6th April 2010 will only need 30 years' worth of contributions for a full State Pension.
I know, much to my annoyance as I am allegedly a few years short.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I know, much to my annoyance as I am allegedly a few years short.
Can't you buy back some / all of the missing years?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by pete_l
Can't you buy back some / all of the missing years?
Not when I have already paid them according to HM R+C, but not the DWP ?