Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

IS LIFE GETTING A LOT HARDER

IS LIFE GETTING A LOT HARDER

Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: IS LIFE GETTING A LOT HARDER

I think life is probably getting harder for some (real estate agents, construccion workers, car salesmen, etc) but easier for others.

Certain types of businesses absolutely thrive in the "crisi". For example, computer repair shops - people can't afford to buy new so keep the old machine for longer. Shoe repair shops - same idea. Car talleres - gotta keep that old banger on the road even longer now.

So I guess it just depends what you do for a living.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:55 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Its all about Aldi and Lidl with you innit?
doesn't matter where you get them from, light bulbs is light bulbs.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:56 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Its all about Aldi and Lidl with you innit?
Its all about being careful where you shop.
I used to go to Carrefour for everything. Now I don't.
Lidl and Aldi are options, but so are the local farmers markets.

Its amazing on how peoples views can differ so much on where is more expensive, UK or Spain. And when you think about i, its obviously going to be down to where your experience of living is
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Those of us who are intent on staying in Spain are only able to because we have a 'UK' income to sustain us, mostly some sort of pension. Without that, we would also be going back, because in the UK the state looks after us, and the Spanish state doesn't, not even its own, at least not properly.

Unemployment in Spain is at chronic levels and the 'manufactured' jobs, like road repairs, are for Spanish people only. With more people leaving and fewer people arriving, British businesses are closing all over the place, I could quote umpteen example here, and that's apart from the bars.

I think that the actual living costs, taking everything into account, are about the same, the Spanish cheapness from years ago has gone.

The weather in Spain is still better than in the UK.
I dont think what you say is true
I know Latin Americans who are benefitting from the "manufactured jobs". I also saw a prgramme on TV that showed how other immigrants such as the Romanian construction workers were benefitting, Its true that all these guys speak Spanish

btw, me and some of my friends live in Spain and live off the Spanish income. Its not impossible
Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:00 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
just about everyone I know that is still doing OK here has an income from another country
I was going to slightly disagree by mentioning an estate agent who has been here for 25 years, but they've just closed; a car dealer who's been here for 20 years, but they've just closed; and the owner of several bars, but he's already back in England with a multitude of people looking for him, so I'll agree with what you said.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:06 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I was going to slightly disagree by mentioning an estate agent who has been here for 25 years, but they've just closed; a car dealer who's been here for 20 years, but they've just closed; and the owner of several bars, but he's already back in England with a multitude of people looking for him, so I'll agree with what you said.
well there you are then

I don't doubt that there are some - maybe even many - who are doing fine - or even really well

just not many around here

one family I know who does have a good income from the UK are taking their kids out of private school & putting them into the state system in september - the kids are still young enough so so shouldn't be a problem

so 'el crisis' is affecting all of us in some way
Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:16 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I know a cross section of people. Those who are struggling most are pensioners on a fixed income from the UK.

Spain is a great place to be but not if you are looking for work?
Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I know a cross section of people. Those who are struggling most are pensioners on a fixed income from the UK.

Spain is a great place to be but not if you are looking for work?
the pensioners are struggling - as are those who have to work

so many businesses are closing

people who have had good jobs for years are losing them

not just us foreigners - spanish too
Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:30 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

There are few countries which have escaped the recession and few jobs which are as secure or well paid, unemployment is higher in spain than UK.

For sure life is not easy and when times are tough it is those at the bottom of the food chain who seem to get hit the worst. Doesn't seem to have much effect on the salary and bonuses for new RBS CEO or the perks awarded to UK Chief Constables.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

well theres always the option of selling your body

........i did it once.

After a month i had enough money to buy myself a packet of crisps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
It may be cheaper to pay 400 a year community charge in Spain, than pay nearly 2K council tax.
Don't forget the 265 euros per month social security you have to pay to get access to the spanish healthcare and benefits system. That more than makes up for the low level of council tax, unless of course you've over 65.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pete_l
Don't forget the 265 euros per month social security you have to pay to get access to the spanish healthcare and benefits system. That more than makes up for the low level of council tax, unless of course you've over 65.
How does SS contributions in Spain compare to the UK? If I remember correctly I used to pay something in the region of 200 GBP per month social security when I lived in the UK, so the amount is not all that different is it?
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
How does SS contributions in Spain compare to the UK? If I remember correctly I used to pay something in the region of 200 GBP per month social security when I lived in the UK, so the amount is not all that different is it?
In the UK, it's a percentage of your income(?), here it is regardless of your income. So if you are self employed here and make no money for three months, you still have to pay the ss contributions otherwise you will be excluded from the benefits (namely medical cover). In the UK, you would still be able to get medical treatment, whether you have paid NI or not.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Veleta

Class 2 National Insurance contributions are only £2.40 per week in the UK!

and Class 4 are charged at 8% on taxable profit of over £5,715

Therefore the Spanish SS self employed contributions (Autonomos) is very expensive and HAS to be paid (in advance) even if no money is earned.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Class 2 National Insurance contributions are only £2.40 per week in the UK!

and Class 4 are charged at 8% on taxable profit of over £5,715

Therefore the Spanish SS self employed contributions (Autonomos) is very expensive and HAS to be paid (in advance) even if no money is earned.
However if you pay class 2 in the UK you get next to **** all if you become unemployed Do you get more for your "money" in Spain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.