Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Kindle & Amazon.com

Kindle & Amazon.com

Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kindle & Amazon.com

Hi I am looking to buy a Kindle and if I buy from Amazon.com rather than co.uk it proves cheaper because of the exchange rate. Has anyone bought this previously and can tell me if there are any problems paying with a euro bank card and delivery to Spain?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

scolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to all
Default Re: Kindle & Amazon.com

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Hi I am looking to buy a Kindle and if I buy from Amazon.com rather than co.uk it proves cheaper because of the exchange rate. Has anyone bought this previously and can tell me if there are any problems paying with a euro bank card and delivery to Spain?
You should have no problems going this route, Amazon are spot on when delivering etc.

You might want to re-think the Kindle though, average screen failure rate is around 40%, although amazon will exchange with no quibbles, one of my customers is on her 4th exchange...
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scolly52
You should have no problems going this route, Amazon are spot on when delivering etc.

You might want to re-think the Kindle though, average screen failure rate is around 40%, although amazon will exchange with no quibbles, one of my customers is on her 4th exchange...
I have looked at all the recommendations and it seems that the Kindle is best value for money. To buy a Sony will cost a lot more. Yes, you can get cheaper ones again but they don´t look particularly good.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

scolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to allscolly52 is a name known to all

I have looked at all the recommendations and it seems that the Kindle is best value for money. To buy a Sony will cost a lot more. Yes, you can get cheaper ones again but they don´t look particularly good.
Of course it is ultimately your choice, but these things are only value for money if they work.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:03 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scolly52

Thanks for that info, I was thinking about one myself.
I wonder if what they class as the new model has the same failings ?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:21 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you will find it significantly cheaper.

With shipping and customs deposit it is $248 which is almost the same as the UK price of £152.

However, if you want it shipped to Spain you have no option as Amazon UK won't ship it to Spain.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fred James
I don't think you will find it significantly cheaper.

With shipping and customs deposit it is $248 which is almost the same as the UK price of £152.

However, if you want it shipped to Spain you have no option as Amazon UK won't ship it to Spain.
I am looking at the cheaper one at 139 dollars which equates to about 85 GBP. Where do you find out if you would pay customs on it?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:04 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking at the cheaper one at 139 dollars which equates to about 85 GBP. Where do you find out if you would pay customs on it?
You need to go right through the checkout process to the point of confirming the order.

I just did it for you and it is now showing the price in GBP which comes to £120.77 which includes £13.42 shipping and £18.42 customs.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thumbs up Re: Kindle & Amazon.com

You need to go right through the checkout process to the point of confirming the order.

I just did it for you and it is now showing the price in GBP which comes to £120.77 which includes £13.42 shipping and £18.42 customs.
That´s good of you James is the 120.77 converted from the US dollar?

Seems that I may as well just get from the UK then.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:22 pm

Yes, the price was in USD but as I have a UK credit card it converted to GBP.

You would be much better buying in the UK if only for warranty issues.

The WiFi only version should work anywhere but there can be issues with the 3G version if you are not in the UK - or at least that is what Amazon say which is why they get you to use the US site.

That said, I have not seen anyone report problems with either version.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, the price was in USD but as I have a UK credit card it converted to GBP.

You would be much better buying in the UK if only for warranty issues.

The WiFi only version should work anywhere but there can be issues with the 3G version if you are not in the UK - or at least that is what Amazon say which is why they get you to use the US site.

That said, I have not seen anyone report problems with either

Will be getting the cheapest. Someone said you can get them in Media Markt will be interested to know the price
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:43 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dont buy it from Amazon.com.

Ive been through all this in detail before Christmas. If you buy from amazon.com then your kindle will be registered to .com, which means you will not be able to download from .co.uk. That might seem insignificant until you check the differences in downloads from the different sites. Mine got registered to .com in error. I changed it to .co.uk. I cant download .com kindle stuff now, and thats the way I believe it works in reverse.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I like the idea of a Kindle but I would need two as my wife and I read lots.
That then becomes expensive 2 times £100+.
OK you would only need to download any title once and swap machines so there is a small saving there.
At the moment we share books within a small circle of friends and also buy from a secondhand bookshop.

The economics do not seem to work out at the moment
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:01 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Dont buy it from Amazon.com.

Ive been through all this in detail before Christmas. If you buy from amazon.com then your kindle will be registered to .com, which means you will not be able to download from .co.uk. That might seem insignificant until you check the differences in downloads from the different sites. Mine got registered to .com in error. I changed it to .co.uk. I cant download .com kindle stuff now, and thats the way I believe it works in reverse.
So does the .co.uk provide a wider choice of material at much more attractive prices ?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:33 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
So does the .co.uk provide a wider choice of material at much more attractive prices ?
You dont get the same selection of books on the uk site as the .com one. Also, you can download some papers onto the kindle when set up, but of course if you are on the dot com then you wont find the brit papers

I got given a USD amazon token of €20 on the .com site. I tried to download kindle stuff, but it wouldnt allow it. I also tried to download some Mp3 to my pc by the way, but you arent allowed to do that either

Wife says the books on uk are between £4 and £12, the ones she bought. She has had some free though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.