Reload this Page >

Just a reminder

Just a reminder

Old May 12th 2022, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

KK78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just a reminder

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
No one buys property as investments unless it's high end or places like Madrid or Barcelona. Continuous development means there is always a surplus. Plus buying and selling cost easily wipes out any 5 to 7 year inflation rates. The UK is very different due to housing shortage. If you are thinking of spain as an investment unless you buy at very high end in areas which are deemed desirable by the Spanish upper classes you are going to get an extremely poor return
Im not buying as a investment. It will be a holiday home but let during school holidays.

I was doing a self build, but with inflation, estimated costs are spiralling and I don’t want a mortgage. Thankfully the value of the plot has gone through the roof.

Im thinking of selling and buying a property in Los Cristianos for cash.

Hopefully Los Cristianos is a safe bet in terms of retaining value.

Old May 12th 2022, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KK78
Because most people can afford one house.

If they bought in Spain a few years back, or even a year ago. U.K. house prices have rocketed and most in Spain haven’t.

I bought a buy to let in 2011 for £110,000 that is now worth £350,000. It’s the opposite for many people who moved to Spain at that time.
many including myself retain property in both Spain and UK so your speculation may or may not be correct depending on individual circumstances. Property prices crashed in Spain well before Brexit so yes property purchase in Spain if someone did it as an investment was not a good bet but I don't see that Brexit has caused house price rises in the UK? Some will have taken advantage of that crash buying low and depending on area may have made a profit in Spain. I would add I am not one such person.

Last edited by bobd22; May 12th 2022 at 4:05 pm.
Old May 12th 2022, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a reason refugees travel through the EU, then risk their lives in inflatable boats to cross the English Channel.
I was referring to refugees from Ukraine
Old May 12th 2022, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Im not buying as a investment. It will be a holiday home but let during school holidays.

I was doing a self build, but with inflation, estimated costs are spiralling and I don’t want a mortgage. Thankfully the value of the plot has gone through the roof.

Im thinking of selling and buying a property in Los Cristianos for cash.

Hopefully Los Cristianos is a safe bet in terms of retaining value.

One of the main problems is the tax and cost involved in Spain. With approx 10 % cost on buying plus selling costs you need quite a healthy mark up to do anything but break even. I would also wager that Spain is going to have face another crash this year given that inflation and cost of living is going to be very high if the war continues. Interests rates will soon be increased in the EU meaning mortgage rises. I cant see how anyone believes that will lead to more people buying property.
Old May 12th 2022, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bobd22
I was referring to refugees from Ukraine
You’re the ones paying for the Russian weapons killing Ukrainians.

We have and will happily take Ukrainian refugees.

Don’t make them wait 30 years to join the EU. Let them have our old spot.
Old May 12th 2022, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
One of the main problems is the tax and cost involved in Spain. With approx 10 % cost on buying plus selling costs you need quite a healthy mark up to do anything but break even. I would also wager that Spain is going to have face another crash this year given that inflation and cost of living is going to be very high if the war continues. Interests rates will soon be increased in the EU meaning mortgage rises. I cant see how anyone believes that will lead to more people buying property.
The 10% tax on buying borders on criminal. Ive just read about the 27% deducted from any rental income.

I had noticed the market in Spain is slow with many properties on the market for over a year.

I assumed this was because I was looking in expat areas. More U.K. owners are selling Spanish property post Brexit, and less are buying.

I did read the Mallorca and Tenerife prices avoided the market crash but I don’t know if that is true?

I want to buy a place in Los Cristianos to keep long term. I would spend 6 months a years there, and my Dad could use it for most of the other 6.

Seems renting in school holidays could be more hassle than it’s worth. If I do i think I would advertise it in the U.K. and deal with it myself.
Old May 12th 2022, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You’re the ones paying for the Russian weapons killing Ukrainians.

We have and will happily take Ukrainian refugees.

Don’t make them wait 30 years to join the EU. Let them have our old spot.
I am paying for Russian weapons? A bit of a bold statement. I take it you mean I and others living in the EU buy our petrol electric and gas from local suppliers I actually have no idea where Spain buys it from but very possibly it does or did get some from Russia. Other options open to me are? Yes UK has taken some Ukraine refugees but Mrs Patel has made it very difficult for them that's for sure. Other EU countries did not demand the level of paperwork or difficulties that the UK put in front of these women and children. I'm sure at some point in the future they may well become an EU member time will tell on that.
Old May 12th 2022, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyway given we are way off the issue the post was about I will leave it there.
Old May 12th 2022, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bobd22
I am paying for Russian weapons? A bit of a bold statement. I take it you mean I and others living in the EU buy our petrol electric and gas from local suppliers I actually have no idea where Spain buys it from but very possibly it does or did get some from Russia. Other options open to me are? Yes UK has taken some Ukraine refugees but Mrs Patel has made it very difficult for them that's for sure. Other EU countries did not demand the level of paperwork or difficulties that the UK put in front of these women and children. I'm sure at some point in the future they may well become an EU member time will tell on that.
The EU are funding Putins invasion.

Mrs Patel has finally taken action against 500+ young male economic migrants arriving illegally daily.

Other EU countries don’t have the migrant situation we do. Like I said they pass through EU countries including France, then risk their lives to get here.

I guess the EU isn’t as welcoming. Tells you everything about EU attitude to “refugees” compared to the U.K.

Macron said 30 years. Disgrace.

I agree. Leave it.

Last edited by KK78; May 12th 2022 at 6:23 pm.
Old May 12th 2022, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

I see you have joined another Spanish forum to belittle the EU. If you want a few more, email me.. HaHa

Other than Poland, Spain has taken in a lot of refugees from the Ukraine, actually given them residency with no time limit and providing schooling for them..
Spain also has one of the largest Ukraine expat communities in the EU.

The uk is giving money and weapons as they do not have the room to house their own citizens; never mind refugees.

You say you want to move to tenerife. Did you know there are more african immigrants rowing there weekly/daily than onto the island you are from?

Do not really wish this on anyone, but be very careful of ocupa when you purchase your rental property.. They look for your type.
Old May 12th 2022, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Spain also uses more Algerian/African gaz than any other countries gaz so no, they are not helping russia buy weapons...
Old May 12th 2022, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think Turkey might be the best option for you to purchase a property to just "rent" out.
Old May 12th 2022, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry Rosemary, I thought the newbe created a new thread...

As to the thread topic - nothing new in negotiations from this week...
Old May 12th 2022, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

The 10% tax on buying borders on criminal. Ive just read about the 27% deducted from any rental income.

I had noticed the market in Spain is slow with many properties on the market for over a year.

I assumed this was because I was looking in expat areas. More U.K. owners are selling Spanish property post Brexit, and less are buying.

I did read the Mallorca and Tenerife prices avoided the market crash but I don’t know if that is true?

I want to buy a place in Los Cristianos to keep long term. I would spend 6 months a years there, and my Dad could use it for most of the other 6.

Seems renting in school holidays could be more hassle than it’s worth. If I do i think I would advertise it in the U.K. and deal with it myself.

Not sure how au fait you are with some Spanish laws. You have to register any rental property you have and submit accounts quarterly. You therefore need to buy a rental licence. You are tax on your rentals irrespective of your residency. Fines are given for anyone avoiding this. Remember as a non resident you will also face a property tax as a non EU member.
Old May 12th 2022, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

The EU are funding Putins invasion.

Mrs Patel has finally taken action against 500+ young male economic migrants arriving illegally daily.

Other EU countries don’t have the migrant situation we do. Like I said they pass through EU countries including France, then risk their lives to get here.

I guess the EU isn’t as welcoming. Tells you everything about EU attitude to “refugees” compared to the U.K.

Macron said 30 years. Disgrace.

I agree. Leave it.
Where on earth do you get your information from. Have you any idea how many immigrants arrive in Spain each week from the African continent. ? Have you any idea of how many immigrants are taken by countries like Greece and Germany? The UK has a very small amount compared to some European countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.