Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Just a reminder

Just a reminder

Old May 2nd 2022, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just a reminder

Originally Posted by bitmanev
that 90 days within 180 days counts for all EU so the only move will be out of EU
yep. That’s why you see people going to places like Dubai a lot more now.
Old May 2nd 2022, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the point of this thread is for British Citizens living in Spain now and complying with the post Brexit requirements. People have always had the choice of moving elsewhere than the EU and would make the choice based on how easy the relocation is or other factors specific to their needs. Main thing for EU used to be very easy with freedom of movement driving licence exchange etc. If people were living Spain be it legally or illegally pre brexit it hasn't been hidden the fact that change was coming so they had a choice of complying and sorting the issues out or burying their heads in the sand. The date for legality of British driving licences and need to change has eventually arrived. The only ones caught that I sympathise with are those that tried their best registered per instructions and have been caught out by delays outside of their control. Choosing to move to a different country is fine if it suits a person's needs and pocket but not sure I would go through that rather than a driving test or indeed following the rules prior to this date to exchange my licence..
Old May 2nd 2022, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

As they had the EU on them you were not required to change to the countries license unless you got caught by the police and had to have points deducted.
That was my understanding
Old May 3rd 2022, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

The EU Directive allows the use of another EU licence for it's duration.

It also allows national authorities to demand an exchange where an offence, or offences, have been committed carrying the loss of or the awarding of points.

It further allows national authorities to apply different rules so long as they are not discriminatory and do not disadvantage other EU citizens when compared to their own.

One thing which does puzzle me about this farce is why it seems to be such a problem for UK and Spain to come to an agreement over something which has no reason to be an issue at all.

We can never know what's going on in the background but based on the fact that Spain fair bent over backwards to make things as easy as possible for Brits after Brexit, including setting up the licence pre-registration scheme, it seems perverse that they would now be the side putting up the barriers to a bilateral exchange agreement so I have to wonder if there is more to it than meets the eye and that it may not all be down to Spain as everyone is assuming.

Could it be that the refusal to grant a further extension is a deliberate move on Spain's part designed to force the issue with UK.

It's not as if UK doesn't have form for being bloody awkward!!!!!!

Last edited by Notdunroamin; May 3rd 2022 at 7:27 am.
Old May 3rd 2022, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

It could be cause of that "rock" that the brits will not give back...
Old May 3rd 2022, 12:36 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
So its Spain that is causing this issue as you can still (I think) either drive of exchange Uk to other EU without issue.
And all Eu citizens can drive in the Uk until they need to renew and then I don't know what happens (or care really).
Not really. Brits in Italy face the same problem. As usual, the UK gov isn't bothered about Brits who chose to live abroad and isn't interested in discussions on this subject with other governments. Italy has extended the validity until the end of the year after which, who knows?
Old May 3rd 2022, 1:18 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Not really. Brits in Italy face the same problem. As usual, the UK gov isn't bothered about Brits who chose to live abroad and isn't interested in discussions on this subject with other governments. Italy has extended the validity until the end of the year after which, who knows?
I think it's all about the UK not wanting to share data (points etc.) with Spain.
Old May 3rd 2022, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by growinspain
It could be cause of that "rock" that the brits will not give back...
You mean the one Spain signed over to Britain and is still whingeing about 300+ years later
Old May 3rd 2022, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an EU national who lives in the UK and has a British driving licence. If I want to be a resident in an EU country the driving licence has to be changed because any traffic violation in the UK (and vice versa) cannot or will not be recorded in the big EU data cloud.
Old May 3rd 2022, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

If the reason is to do with the legality of sharing of information then I very much doubt that an agreement will be enacted anytime soon.
Old May 3rd 2022, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NataHH
I am an EU national who lives in the UK and has a British driving licence. If I want to be a resident in an EU country the driving licence has to be changed because any traffic violation in the UK (and vice versa) cannot or will not be recorded in the big EU data cloud.
Yep. I moved here in August 2020 with 6 points on my licence (speeding twice) and those points disappeared from my Spanish licence.

Previously a ticket for being 5km over the limit in Amsterdam (120kph but when its raining 100kph) followed me back to the UK about 14 years ago. Just a fine but there you go.
Old May 3rd 2022, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

The negotiations are on going according to Hugh Elliott on twitter.
Old May 4th 2022, 6:00 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

And there we have it:

"Spain has asked to include data provision on vehicle owners. This is more complex - so taking longer."

Spain also wants to have access to something that they had before Brexit, i.e. access to vehicle owner data to be able to fine tourists for speeding or parking incorrectly, the UK has spent a year and a half saying no.

And based on what another poster said above, the same goes for Italy.

Last edited by DLC; May 4th 2022 at 6:05 am.
Old May 4th 2022, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
And there we have it:

https://twitter.com/HughElliottUK/st...33596183547904

"Spain has asked to include data provision on vehicle owners. This is more complex - so taking longer."

Spain also wants to have access to something that they had before Brexit, i.e. access to vehicle owner data to be able to fine tourists for speeding or parking incorrectly, the UK has spent a year and a half saying no.

And based on what another poster said above, the same goes for Italy.

So I imagine that a pro-Brexit agenda will mean the UK will not agree to that as it means allowing Spain to chase up Brits in UK for infringements in Spain etc and that means exercising authority over British nationals which is contrary to the idea of sovereignty etc. So it looks like it all comes back to Brexit and given the small number of expats this affects I doubt the UK will concede and I very much doubt Spain really cares.
Old May 4th 2022, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday evening on the local news Gibraltar announced that EU citizens resident in Gibraltar who have not changed their EU driving licenses for local Gibraltar licences will now have to take a Gibraltar diving test.

However most of the staff at the test center are bilingual English / Spaish at least.

I do not know if this applies to EU citizens resident in the UK in relation to UK driving licences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.