Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The JOKE killed someone..

The JOKE killed someone..

Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:51 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The JOKE killed someone..

Originally Posted by bobd22
Domino I am not saying that to humiliate someone in such pranks is acceptable in any circumstances, however as has been said previously in this thread. These type of pranks set up situations are not normally about sensitive situations such as medical conditions and usually prior to being aired the persons gives consent.

You ask how you can foresee the consequences of such a prank.

Come on someone phones up and requests confidential medical information about a member of the Royal family and the person making the call can't foresee that should they get any information the person answering and giving the information would not end up in serious trouble work wise? That could be foreseen by anyone, as I have said the actual awful outcome in this instance could never have been foreseen by anyone.

By the way should anyone involved from the Radio Station loose their jobs then I have no sympathy to be honest.
I have re-read and No I didn't use the word humiliate, but I suppose it could be implied

although the Brand/Ross affair was set up from the beginning to humiliate a genuinely nice person and his grand daughter. But as it was the BBC then no actual members of staff ended up losing their jobs. (Probably ended up with an acclamation on their files for a job well done).

It would appear Kate & Wills (always reminds me of Woodbines ) are open season for any nutter with a long lens, a vibration microphone or a telephone call.
Once again it brings into doubt the voracity of their security - after all it is a Private hospital, they should be used to crank phone calls by now considering the history of the place.
What will he do when he finishes his tour on SAR ?
Having transfered from Army to RAF perhaps he will spend some time with the RN, his uncle had an exceedingly good record in choppers.
But someone is going to find a way of allowing them that little bit of freedom without security getting in the way. She is carrying the heir to the heir to the heir to the throne. Some may say So What, but as Charles never travels with the Queen, Wills never travels with Charles. Look what almost happened to Princess Anne !!

I think there are too many radio stations, too many people with degrees in media studies, almost equivalent to a degree in packaged holidays or cut and blow dry. So getting rid of a few won't do any harm in the long term
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:55 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
What else shall we ban to protect ourselves from ourselves?
Here's a few suggestions of mine:
  • Riding bikes (can be hit by cars)
  • Driving cars (could hit bikes)
  • Going out at night (it's dark)
  • Going out in the day (sunlight causes cancer)
  • Pets (can bite someone)
  • Comedy (someone could be offended)
  • Money (carries germs)
  • Putting things on top of things (could fall off)
Life is about risk, we all do it, but there is more likelihood of being hit by another car than a bike
Oh why bother, just stay in bed all day, but then you may get up for a pee, fall over your slippers and break your neck.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Domino please accept my apology for misquoting you re "humiliating" although as you say given the snippets I've heard of broadcast following the success and before the woman took her life it could be implied.

I also accept that there are risks with many things we do in our lives but do not see the point in the list that followed my comment to be honest.

I do not think that anyone from what I have read on here believes that these people could foresee the tragedy that came. Or wants to actually ban pranks, however there is the old saying "know your audience" or in this case "consider what may happen (obviously not suicide) of your actions on others inadvertently involved, after all this involved the Royal family. Maybe if contact had been made with 3rd parties involved prior to going on air it may have come out that this woman was vulnerable? who knows. Only the woman that took her life knows the reason why.
Anyway that's my view on this may differ from others, but that's me done on it.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by bobd22
Domino please accept my apology for misquoting you re "humiliating" although as you say given the snippets I've heard of broadcast following the success and before the woman took her life it could be implied.

I also accept that there are risks with many things we do in our lives but do not see the point in the list that followed my comment to be honest.

I do not think that anyone from what I have read on here believes that these people could foresee the tragedy that came. Or wants to actually ban pranks, however there is the old saying "know your audience" or in this case "consider what may happen (obviously not suicide) of your actions on others inadvertently involved, after all this involved the Royal family. Maybe if contact had been made with 3rd parties involved prior to going on air it may have come out that this woman was vulnerable? who knows. Only the woman that took her life knows the reason why.
Anyway that's my view on this may differ from others, but that's me done on it.
no need for an apology, as I say, it could be implied from my statement.

as to the individual being humiliated, well that we truly may never know, but to take one's life leaving behind teenage family with the world in front of them, as well as a caring husband, is difficult to understand bearing the religious sin of such an action.

the hospital and its operation may need a looking into. as I said earlier, the manner in which someone is told "there will be no action" can be implied (and probably was) a final warning. but also there is the fact that she took her life on hospital premises, was the hospital aware of the delicate state she was in, especially as she was probably on a shift pattern that meant long time on, short time off, for a week or so followed by a week off. a nurse who rented my house was on one of those, but it doesnt seem right but must (just) meet the working hours regs even if only on an aggregate basis. How else would she be living in Bristol and working in London.

there ain't anything else that can be said about all this, from our part it is mostly conjecture based on the Trial by Media, which we are adding to.
Sad that it happened but totally unrealistic to say "They should have known the consequences of their actions".
rgds
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 9:49 am
Banned

longrangesniper is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like she had previous

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ll-before.html
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 3:36 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

According to the news the Nurse had tried to commit suicide before, twice! Although her family said she had no history of depression.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 5:32 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
According to the news the Nurse had tried to commit suicide before, twice! Although her family said she had no history of depression.
Puts a slightly different complexion on it if that's true.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 9:02 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Puts a slightly different complexion on it if that's true.
yes it means the radio joke was the breaking point..I cant see a hospital letting her work there if true..