Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The JOKE killed someone..

The JOKE killed someone..

Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The JOKE killed someone..

Yes very good points Amideislas, only thing for me though as I have previously mentioned. Given that this pranks was against the Royal family it obviously was never going to be treated as just a prank, the end result of such a prank was always going to put some poor sods job at risk if they suceeded. Of course no could foresee this outcome and there may well be other factors. However even taking the outcome away I do not think myself it is right for a prank to amuse radio or TV audiences to put someones job at risk.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:20 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
No doubt this is a tragedy. It just is... Period. There is simply no arguing that point.

But the investigation isn't over yet, and it's much too easy to just blame a few pranksters who were only conducting a stupid prank, which, in this case, if the tragic events that followed hadn't taken place, many of us would have found to be just another amusing embarrassment for the hospital or the Royals... I don't think anyone could have predicted this outcome.

Certainly you can argue this prank was unnecessary, but at this point, I have to suspect that this woman had other problems which contributed in a major way to this tragedy. I for one, find it terribly hard to believe that someone in a stable mental condition would be inclined to take their own life over this stupid incident without significant other factors being involved.

Yet, here we are en masse - quickly laying blame for a tragedy that virtually nobody would ever have guessed could be the result of a stupid prank (just read the foregone conclusion in the title of this thread).

But we like blame. We have been raised to believe everything is someone else's fault (or that someone is at fault for everything). It's conveniently become a basic expectation of our culture. We rarely take the time to think rationally about those things which we find deplorable, nor realise that WE are often the very cause of what we object to.

It is a tragedy. For everyone involved. But who is really at fault here? Or is this just another of life's tragedies that we can't honestly blame on anyone?
I think this is where the arse-covering is going to go into top gear.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Domino
we have a person who was living in nurses accommodation in London whilst also having a home with family in Bristol.
perhaps the strains put onto certain workers within the NHS, including working hours, have an element to play.

I read in an news article that the hospital only had receptionists to answer incoming calls during working hours, out of the 9-5 or similar then it was left to nurses on shift - who are also reduced in numbers "out of hours", in a 24/7/365 "service".

There may be more things that will come out as time goes by.
But I would imagine the hospital management are diving for cover.

`
Yes thats how I see it. It appears they only telephoned the poor womans family no-one even bothered to go and see them. Ok so they are in Bristol but so what its the least they could have done.
Now they've set up some sort of charity fund in her name. Pathetic.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 10:35 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

All turning into the usual farce. Keith Vaz jumping on the bandwagon, a fund, crocodile tears. It will run and run
Old Dec 11th 2012, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
You've apparently never lived in Germany.

Precious few things happen in Germany that aren't somebody's fault, somebody gets blamed for, and is ordered to pay damages. The German blame culture is rife. Along with jealousy and a number of other undesirable neighbourly character traits.

The Spanish seem to prefer to avoid lawyers and courts at all costs. For good reason. Once you file a denuncia, things can become very complicated and expensive...
You're right, I have never lived in Germany. And from what you describe I wouldn't want to!

I think there's more to the absence of blame culture in Spain than the cost of litigation though. People put things down to fate or bad luck. Maybe it's a Catholic thing.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 3:28 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Yes thats how I see it. It appears they only telephoned the poor womans family no-one even bothered to go and see them. Ok so they are in Bristol but so what its the least they could have done.
Now they've set up some sort of charity fund in her name. Pathetic.
and the radio station are donating their profits to the end of the year, gee thats really really nice of them.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

So she left a suicide note explaining her reasons. I wonder if we'll ever know what was in it?
Old Dec 11th 2012, 6:53 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
So she left a suicide note explaining her reasons. I wonder if we'll ever know what was in it?
If it's published I'm sure we'll only get edited highlights.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:42 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't understand some of you - how can people be putting the blame on this poor woman - she was just doing her job and apparently she was very good at it - she is now dead due to two knobheads and a knobhead radio station having a so called laugh - the pressure that woman was obviously put under was enough to take her own life - it's really funny innit - all in the name of entertainment - well done those people who contributed to her death - I hope they are all proud of themselves - perhaps they could put it on their CVs to get higher up the career ladder - who gives a shit about the little people at the bottom eh as long as rating are high - shame on them all :-( x
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:37 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone has actually blamed the woman Just discussion about her reasons etc. I don't blame the radio presenters either, even tough they come across as two assholes. I hate entertainment which thrives on humiliating people but they have always been around. No one could have predicted that would happen. Someone from the Samaritans said it is rare that one event triggers suicide, but who knows we can only speculate. If the blame game has to be played everyone involved should share it. The radio station, the hospital and the public in their eagerness for any gossip about Royals and celebs. Who knows, if she had beenliving wither family perhaps she would have had more spport from them.

To use a phrase I hate, perhaps lessons will be learnt by all involved
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:17 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Kate hoax nurse 'was still alive when found hanging in her flat and attempts were made to revive her' after she left note for familySky News: Nurse was still alive and attempts were made to revive her
Post-mortem examination on nurse Jacintha Saldanha, 46, has concluded

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2EpaNhamL
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:58 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
I really don't understand some of you - how can people be putting the blame on this poor woman - she was just doing her job and apparently she was very good at it - she is now dead due to two knobheads and a knobhead radio station having a so called laugh - the pressure that woman was obviously put under was enough to take her own life - it's really funny innit - all in the name of entertainment - well done those people who contributed to her death - I hope they are all proud of themselves - perhaps they could put it on their CVs to get higher up the career ladder - who gives a shit about the little people at the bottom eh as long as rating are high - shame on them all :-( x
ratings are based on the number of little people who scrabble to listen to their crap

Its all very well the MIL saying how consciencious Indians are and the family in particular, the reason(s) for her death are being investigated and it is all a matter of conjecture. No matter, it is not easy for the normal human to actually commit suicide. Most suicides are cries for help and do not intend to actually die.
But this is now Trial by Media of others who may be unstable.

so Sam, calm down, were you the same when Brand & Woss were being castigated and the BBC was in bad odure (again) ? ?

`
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:40 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
ratings are based on the number of little people who scrabble to listen to their crap

Its all very well the MIL saying how consciencious Indians are and the family in particular, the reason(s) for her death are being investigated and it is all a matter of conjecture. No matter, it is not easy for the normal human to actually commit suicide. Most suicides are cries for help and do not intend to actually die.
But this is now Trial by Media of others who may be unstable.

so Sam, calm down, were you the same when Brand & Woss were being castigated and the BBC was in bad odure (again) ? ?

`

Sorry chuck not sure who Brand and Woss are ?????

I just feel that if they hadn't done the prank she would still be alive :-( xxxxx
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Sorry chuck not sure who Brand and Woss are ?????

I just feel that if they hadn't done the prank she would still be alive :-( xxxxx
True enough, but there are many steps in between the prank and the suicide, including why the hospital and royals left a nurse to handle the call, why the hospital didn't give proper support afterwards and how severe a reprimand she got from the hospital/royals afterwards.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Zen10
True enough, but there are many steps in between the prank and the suicide, including why the hospital and royals left a nurse to handle the call, why the hospital didn't give proper support afterwards and how severe a reprimand she got from the hospital/royals afterwards.
Zen mate,they might be your fellow Aussies, but let's face a few facts here. The prank they pulled was self centred and aimed at increasing their ratings, pay and their marketabilty.They didn't give any thought to to they would harm along the way, be it the nurse, the royal family, the hospital or any others that got in their way to a "claim to fame". For them it backfired.
Someone's life ended because of them. Her family and friends are deprived of her, all the people she could have helped as a nurse are also deprived....and why?..... a pair of idiots thought it would be good for ratings and their pay packet.

If this pair hadn't pulled their prank,your question of how a nurse was left to handle the call, support afterward, what the hospital and the royals said is a moot point.

They did the deed..what happened afterwards is down to them

Last edited by dunmovin; Dec 13th 2012 at 3:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.