Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ILLEGAL BRITISH IPTV STREAMS SHUT DOWN

ILLEGAL BRITISH IPTV STREAMS SHUT DOWN

Old Mar 25th 2013, 10:43 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ILLEGAL BRITISH IPTV STREAMS SHUT DOWN

Originally Posted by Saxy
I know, but there's someone on here (and we all know who he is ), who is only too ready to seize on any opportunity to 'Knock' internet TV. We all know that it's just 'Sour Grapes' because he doesn't have a good enough internet signal to receive it

Not me

Yes I know, I'm just always fed up because no one seems to have a sense of humour on here any more and you have to be so careful what you say (not referring to you, just general)
Old Mar 25th 2013, 10:53 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...e=dlvr.it&utm_
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EMR
Maybe it has got something to do with companies stealing programs, breaking copywrite etc and charging us for it,
We all suffer in the long run , why should the BBC and others spend millions on prograns when the tea leaves do not pay for re broadcasting rights.
For a start the BBC aren't involved in the dispute!
I think that the court ruling only applies if the retransmission takes place after the original broadcast is aired, but that is just my reading of it, I'm not a 'Legal Eagle' (I wish I were, I'd have Mansions and 'Rollers' all over the place ).
I think that is why TVCatchup is so confident of their position!

P.S.
Mitzyboy, what's a sense of humour

Last edited by Saxy; Mar 25th 2013 at 11:06 am. Reason: Bad Grammar
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:18 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

not sure what that link has to the post, but it could have reference to the SOH sub-thread
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:28 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

For a start the BBC aren't involved in the dispute!
I think that the court ruling only applies if the retransmission takes place after the original broadcast is aired, but that is just my reading of it, I'm not a 'Legal Eagle' (I wish I were, I'd have Mansions and 'Rollers' all over the place ).
I think that is why TVCatchup is so confident of their position!
P.S.
Mitzyboy, what's a sense of humour
I would suggest that the BBC are doing what they do best - sit back and let the others to all the work and ride on the back of the legal rulings paid for by others.

As to TVCATCHUP, who profess not to be taking live feeds but are a rebroadcaster of previously transmitted Intellectual Property..........

TVCatchup is an internet television service for viewing certain UK channels from free-to-air digital terrestrial and satellite broadcasters live without the use of a television receiver. The service re-broadcasts BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and free to air Sky channels. Initially the legality of the service was questioned causing it to be suspended. The service was relaunched minus the network PVR functionality offering a roster of TV channels upon free registration. As the service permits the viewing of live television channels a TV licence is required. The service is only accessible in the United Kingdom and the website has stringent monitoring facilities that they use to detect and block multiple accesses from the same IP address as well as proxy and VPN access. The service is funded by advertising, with a pre-roll advertisement preceding the live channel stream.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVCatchup

perhaps they are confident of their postion in things, but the worrying part is that obviously you are not. But you have already admitted you use various methods to get round the checking systems restricting access to the dance.
I leave others to make their own conclusions as to where that leaves you, especially as you have already admitted to recommending such systems to others.

Oh, and many thanks for the advertising on my behalf.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Domino
I would suggest that the BBC are doing what they do best - sit back and let the others to all the work and ride on the back of the legal rulings paid for by others.

As to TVCATCHUP, who profess not to be taking live feeds but are a rebroadcaster of previously transmitted Intellectual Property..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVCatchup

perhaps they are confident of their postion in things, but the worrying part is that obviously you are not. But you have already admitted you use various methods to get round the checking systems restricting access to the dance.
I leave others to make their own conclusions as to where that leaves you, especially as you have already admitted to recommending such systems to others.

Oh, and many thanks for the advertising on my behalf.
I think his chain has been well and truly pulled
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:47 am

I think his chain has been well and truly pulled
but it is you that gets flushed (Can I use that word ??)

Old Mar 25th 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Domino
but it is you that gets flushed (Can I use that word ??)

Quite good that! but until it's illegal to receive internet TV (and it isn't), I will continue to try and help others.

TVCatchup marches on
Old Mar 25th 2013, 12:37 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

It is not the legality of receiving that is being discussed ( even for those who hide behind a proxy address ) but the legality of re broadcasting something that they have no rights to.
If and when they are switched off the fun will start.
I hope that the domestic cable/sat suppliers in Southern Europe and elsewhere will see the commercial potential for adding some mainstream UK channels to their subscription lists even if they are not live feeds.
This would impact on those who currently supply or aim to supply via the internet but it will be freely available, certainly better quality and reliable.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EMR
It is not the legality of receiving that is being discussed ( even for those who hide behind a proxy address ) but the legality of re broadcasting something that they have no rights to.
If and when they are switched off the fun will start.
I hope that the domestic cable/sat suppliers in Southern Europe and elsewhere will see the commercial potential for adding some mainstream UK channels to their subscription lists even if they are not live feeds.
This would impact on those who currently supply or aim to supply via the internet but it will be freely available, certainly better quality and reliable.
Did you not read my post 18? We are all guessing (Barrack Room Lawyers) about the legal jargon of the ECJ ruling. So to make statements about the situation is pointless.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:16 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

We were all" guessing" about the loss of UKTV whn the new Astra sats were launched but its going to happen.
Once they are operating the BBC etc can demonstrate in court that they are restricting programming to the UK only and thus add to its arguements regarding the re broadcasters who at the moment in defence can say that reception of BBC etc is not restricted and is in the public domain.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EMR
We were all" guessing" about the loss of UKTV whn the new Astra sats were launched but its going to happen.
Once they are operating the BBC etc can demonstrate in court that they are restricting programming to the UK only and thus add to its arguements regarding the re broadcasters who at the moment in defence can say that reception of BBC etc is not restricted and is in the public domain.
TVCatchup restrict membership to the UK only!
Old Mar 25th 2013, 2:14 pm
EMR
Banned

So if you are able to watch it in Spain you are infringing their terms and conditions and they are not restricting usage to the UK.
A lawyer acting for the main broadcasters could take action against them for not restricting viewing to the UK as part of their case.
The re broadcasters are leaving themselves wide open to legal action.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 2:15 pm

TVCatchup restrict membership to the UK only!
I have tried, honestly, but I cannot find an Alicante in the UK, only in Spain.

and as I said above
The service is only accessible in the United Kingdom and the website has stringent monitoring facilities that they use to detect and block multiple accesses from the same IP address as well as proxy and VPN access.
perhaps the young techy peeps should put down their Internet for Beginners and do what they are supposed to be doing
Old Mar 25th 2013, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by EMR
So if you are able to watch it in Spain you are infringing their terms and conditions and they are not restricting usage to the UK.
A lawyer acting for the main broadcasters could take action against them for not restricting viewing to the UK as part of their case.
The re broadcasters are leaving themselves wide open to legal action.
I posted in another thread the relevent UK reference in the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949 which with amendments initially covers wireless transmissions and reception, which can be stretched to cover satellite because that is an EMF transmission/reception as are LW/MW/SW/FM/UHF etc. Over the years it was further updated to include the transmission over wires (presumably stretched to cover metal and fibre construction.) (thereby covering things like fax (which is a cable product) and also the internet)
Within that law it is illegal (breaking of a law) to listen to and act on transmissions that are not intended for you and on which you may or do take action (any) on.

The general legal interpretation is that if you are in Spain and take access to "transmissions" in the UK then you are breaking the law of the country where the act (the taking of) occurs.
So it may well be legal in Spain, but still illegal in the UK which is where the taking was carried out.
So, if you use a VPN located in the UK or you use an IP blocker you are still accessing a service only intended for the UK and by default breaching the WTA, before anything else..
Just hope that you aren't doing anything that grounds in the good old US of A - they have draconian laws far in excess of those in the UK covering these matters. IIRC the initial basis is what they call Wire Fraud, a Federal offence covering the use of any telephone or similar method for defrauding a company or the government.

And before you ask, I know Fred James asked the question, and I am trying to find a relevent reference in the Spanish legal system and especially a law equivalent to the WTA.

Last edited by Domino; Mar 25th 2013 at 2:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.