Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I dont get upset much...

I dont get upset much...

Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:48 am
I have a member

Keri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really nice
Default I dont get upset much...

... but today my dad called me and said he wants all of us (Me, dad and my three brothers) to go out and have one last drink together before the move.

A small gesture, but means a lot me, I wanted to go quietly but it will be really sad to leave now.

Oh and I gotta see my mum too

I know Im not going away forever, but it feels like it sometimes, lol. How have you guys coped with similar circumstances?
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Mr Impish will become famous soon enoughMr Impish will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I dont get upset much...

I've not followed your move at all but look at it this way.
You are a 2 hour flight away in Spain.
You would be farther away if you moved to Blackpool.
Spain is not the other side of the world!
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Keri, you are not saying goodbye, it is not forever, Spain is just a short flight from the UK, if you were to move from one side of UK to the other it would be harder to visit than Spain.............

After the "farewell" drinks, just say "see ya soon", much easier, and .............
you will see them soon, find once you are settled here you will see far more of relatives and friends as they all descend on you for a "cheap" holiday!

Have fun and a good journey over
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:55 am
I have a member

Keri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mr Impish
I've not followed your move at all but look at it this way.
You are a 2 hour flight away in Spain.
You would be farther away if you moved to Blackpool.
Spain is not the other side of the world!
Yeah Im aware of that, but I think the point is that Im leaving everything thats comfortable and everything I can easily fall back on, so the sense of loss seems greater. I guess you are just more aware that you are 'alone'.

Mum is quite sad about it too.

Thanks though
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keri2323
... but today my dad called me and said he wants all of us (Me, dad and my three brothers) to go out and have one last drink together before the move.

A small gesture, but means a lot me, I wanted to go quietly but it will be really sad to leave now.

I know Im not going away forever, but it feels like it sometimes, lol. How have you guys coped with similar circumstances?
It is the hardest part about moving away from everything and everyone you know. Remember that there are loads of flights back and encourage your relatives to look on your leaving in a positive way because any negativity can affect the beginning of your new life.

Keeping in contact after you leave is very important too.

Rosemary
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:56 am
I have a member

Thanks Mrsjdr and Rosemary
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Kyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really nice

Yeah Im aware of that, but I think the point is that Im leaving everything thats comfortable and everything I can easily fall back on, so the sense of loss seems greater. I guess you are just more aware that you are 'alone'.

Thanks though
I know exactly how you feel Keri. I hate goodbyes. I'm very close to my mum and I know she will be devastated when I leave. But we must follow our dreams. Go for it mate.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:02 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
Hi Keri, you are not saying goodbye, it is not forever, Spain is just a short flight from the UK, if you were to move from one side of UK to the other it would be harder to visit than Spain.............

After the "farewell" drinks, just say "see ya soon", much easier, and .............
you will see them soon, find once you are settled here you will see far more of relatives and friends as they all descend on you for a "cheap" holiday!

Have fun and a good journey over
People forget that a move within UK can be just as huge. We used to live in East Sussex and the family all live in Cornwall so this entailed a long drive for visits. We worked out that even including airport waits, drive to airport, flight and hanging around in queues for hire cars etc etc works out at about the same as it did driving to see them all. So the additional miles do not count in our case.

Rosemary
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:04 am
I have a member

Originally Posted by Kyla
I know exactly how you feel Keri. I hate goodbyes. I'm very close to my mum and I know she will be devastated when I leave. But we must follow our dreams. Go for it mate.
Hey Kyla, thats what I meant I guess, my family will be very sad which in turn will make me sad

Where are you going and when and why and.... I think thats enough questions
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:10 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Hi Keri

I'm a mum and when OH and I said our goodbyes to our 5 kids/partners and grandchildren I thought my stomach was being rip apart I can not explain the pain I experienced my heart was pumping and I really thought I can not do this. I sobbed and sobbed for days and when I said goodby to my youngest I thought I was going to die. We insisted that no one came to the airport with us and although my two sisters came out for a few days 2 weeks later we told the kids they could not visit us until the New Year because I would not be able to bare it.

After a few months and having much to do here I became used to not seeing them and got on with life. All the kids come out 3 or 4 times a year and the scene is always the same at the airport, when they arrive I am like a child being taking to the sweet shop. I am glued to the window until that aeroplane lands and then I am waving like mad as they walk to the terminal, jumping up and down trying to see them waiting for the luggage and then I don't know which one to hugs first when they come through the doors.

When we take them back to the airport I am quiet all the way there, stand in line with them trying to be brave for their sakes then the kisses and hugs goodbye and by the time I get to the last one we are all sniffing and the tissues are all little pieces of paper held tightly in our hands.

BUT I LOVE IT! I love the excitement of seeing them arrive, love having them here and I even love saying goodbye, I think the move for us has brought us together even more than we were. Say your goodbyes, have a cry (yes boys can cry too) be extra special loving to your mum because she is your mum then once that is all done get on the aeroplane and get ready to start that LIFE..........
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Hi Keri

I'm a mum and when OH and I said our goodbyes to our 5 kids/partners and grandchildren I thought my stomach was being rip apart I can not explain the pain I experienced my heart was pumping and I really thought I can not do this. I sobbed and sobbed for days and when I said goodby to my youngest I thought I was going to die. We insisted that no one came to the airport with us and although my two sisters came out for a few days 2 weeks later we told the kids they could not visit us until the New Year because I would not be able to bare it.

After a few months and having much to do here I became used to not seeing them and got on with life. All the kids come out 3 or 4 times a year and the scene is always the same at the airport, when they arrive I am like a child being taking to the sweet shop. I am glued to the window until that aeroplane lands and then I am waving like mad as they walk to the terminal, jumping up and down trying to see them waiting for the luggage and then I don't know which one to hugs first when they come through the doors.

When we take them back to the airport I am quiet all the way there, stand in line with them trying to be brave for their sakes then the kisses and hugs goodbye and by the time I get to the last one we are all sniffing and the tissues are all little pieces of paper held tightly in our hands.

BUT I LOVE IT! I love the excitement of seeing them arrive, love having them here and I even love saying goodbye, I think the move for us has brought us together even more than we were. Say your goodbyes, have a cry (yes boys can cry too) be extra special loving to your mum because she is your mum then once that is all done get on the aeroplane and get ready to start that LIFE..........
Well said. Agree totally.

Rosemary
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:13 am
I have a member

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Hi Keri

Jeeeez, I almost cried at that Im gonna be a mess. What a fantastic attitude you have, and thank you
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:19 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Thanks though

My daughter went to live in New Zealand, she didn't tell me until a couple of weeks before she went because she knew I would be so up set. Yes I was but as a parent and hopefully a good one I know that a child's life is their own and not their parents. I want one thing for all my kids (have stepkids) and that is their happiness and if moving to the other side of the world was it then so be it and my job is to support and keep that smile on my face and to be there in the background just in case. I went to NZ to see her after 6 months had a great time and then broke down at the airport once she had left but looking back on that I think it was because I love the country and felt that I belonged there and I knew that I most probably would never go back. Daughter back in UK now as it was just for a year at that point but she has not ruled out going back.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:20 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on mummy chrispygirl
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Kyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really nice

Hey Kyla, thats what I meant I guess, my family will be very sad which in turn will make me sad

Where are you going and when and why and.... I think thats enough questions
Hi Keri. My boyfriend is Spanish. I'm moving to Granada (just outside Granada city) end of August / beginning September, or maybe even sooner if I manage to sell my house before then. Most of the time I feel excited about starting a new life - I don't care about giving up my car, my job, my home, or the weather! The only thing I'll be sad to leave behind is my family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.