Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

House alarm costs?

House alarm costs?

Old Jul 13th 2008, 4:27 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Re: House alarm costs?

Originally Posted by bil
Well, outside boxes are very vulnerable. You drill the hole, you insert the nozzle of a can of builder's foam and squirt. 5 mins later, you can break in with impunity.

Outside boxes are a deterrent tho. When we had ours fitted, we had a fake one on the back of the house so as to alert intruders from the rear.

I will reiterate tho, I would need a damn pressing reason to get one, and I would move heaven and earth to avoid having to have one.

I think you will find the old foam trick will not work on a modern alarm bil. I had a large ADT system back in the UK and any tamper/cut wire would register as intruder on premises and would set of the investigation process.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 4:29 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I don't entirely disagree, but as always the two best defences are obvious and serious security (bars, locks and the like) and vigilant neighbours.

We were in the UK and something needed fixing, so we arranged for someone to pop out from Vejer to look at it.

They told me later that our neighbour opposite shot out of her house like a rottweiler demanding to know who the hell they were, and what they were doing there.

As for the first deterrent, it's on the same principle that making it more difficult to break into your house will encourage thieves to go elsewhere.

(Plus don't leave items about that might tempt them.)

Wrto foaming, yes the more upmarket and sophisticated ones are immune to that trick, but as always, if they really want in........
Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:36 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
Jurdy You are a wag you make me die. I am sure you do the English/Spanish translation in Google. Still your English is better than my German.
sorry was two early in the morring for me and got this flu and had to work last night
some one has to pay the bills

just seen what i did on the post
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:29 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by linda Coyle
Can anyone tell me roughly what to expect for a house alarm? If it helps there is pre-install for the alarm, house all on one level, 3 bedroom/2 bathrooms. thanks in advance for any replies
Yep ... about €500 should do you. Again wait until you get to your neighbourhood before ordering - Ask those around you - Very rarely do alarms go off around here and seem very reliable.

Ours has been no trouble and easy to set/use. Just can;t remember the company name off the top of my head.

... don't know anyone with a monitoring system around here. Some say waste of time and money - as I'm sure once you get to trust a friend nearby they will watch out for you - it's that kind of place. But an alarm is a must, if not your house will look a better option to the would be thief.

See http://www.euroguard-spain.com/ as he does window and door security nearby - his window locks are very effective.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The best deterrent to a burglar is either an obvious alarm box or a sign outside saying that the premises are protected by a connected alarm system (all the companies provide these signs if you have such a system).

If they really want to get in they will, but in that case it is probably because they know you have something worth stealing. Most burglaries are opportunist, often by druggies looking for a bit of cash or something they can sell on. If this is the case they will move on to another, less protected site.

It is almost impossible to make a property truly secure unless you are prepared to invest a lot of money or have physical security systems which limit the use of your property (rejas on every window etc).

One additional point about alarm systems, do not tell your insurance company that you have one unless they insist on it. If you do have a system that the insurance company are aware of (particularly if they give you a discount because of it) if you are burgled and it was switched off (which does happen) then they will probably refuse the claim.

Another problem with alarm systems is if you have pets. I believe there are systems that can differentiate between small animals and humans but this can be a problem. We have 4 cats and when we are out they have to be put in a room that is not part of the detection system.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:18 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

give me 30 mins with most alarms and i be in and out ,,,,,
used more then 4 digits codes , best to used 6 digits and keep the pad clean
long life lights two light up you place , (out reach off most kids )
if you got Telphone line with adsl you can watch you place aswell , i can fill you in how to do it , it not that costly , two have and BW camera for about 50 euro you keep eyes on what happen , turn on and off lights radio, tvs and so on

but again having some one to call out to alarm call is the best think
jurdy
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:53 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jurdyr
give me 30 mins with most alarms and i be in and out ...
jurdy
... well my alarm sounds in 10 to 15secs if a detector is broken or door opened !!!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:36 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
... well my alarm sounds in 10 to 15secs if a detector is broken or door opened !!!
Yep, and then you have to answer the phone with the correct name and password. ;-)
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:16 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

What he says about keeping the pad clean is spot on. Never thought of that.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
On some cheaper pads the numbers fade in time where you have been pressing them so it pays to change the code from time to time, or use a fob system
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:23 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

Originally Posted by bil
So (although a long time since I did Maths) if you have a 4 digit Alarm PIN you get 24 goes (combinations) at the obvious 4 dirtiest number pads ??? Is that achievable in 10/15 seconds before the alarm blows ... never tried it!?!?!?!?!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:55 pm
bil
Banned

Good point. I always was crap at maths, and hadn't thought about that.

Good job I'm not a burglar, eh?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

sueandterry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by linda Coyle
Can anyone tell me roughly what to expect for a house alarm? If it helps there is pre-install for the alarm, house all on one level, 3 bedroom/2 bathrooms. thanks in advance for any replies
Webcams are a good idea as well! Then you have got evidence to give to the
cops if anybody gets in.... good luck anyway. Sorry I can't remember the price.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sueandterry
Webcams are a good idea as well! Then you have got evidence to give to the
cops if anybody gets in.... good luck anyway. Sorry I can't remember the price.
thay only like alarm will keep people away but that want to get in thay get in

some people dont like cctv but there to protect you not tell you wife what time you got in at and who with ....

Eyes2Eyes DVR2008W 8 Channel Stand-Alone Triplex DVR (Digital Video Recorder) with 250GB HDD is what cost the most then you talking about 70 euros for ok Camera up two 200 euros for full colour sony camera top off the range , you could spent litte are lot but also have think off the wiring and software that you used aswell

you could have 1 camera hook up to your tv to see whos calling over but as i all say have two one on you drive way are balcony one at you door
make sure that can see in the night with LEDs

if new build get cat 5 cable put in aswell
jurdy
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

denday23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Linda, now Alarms I can talk about. We own a large villa on a 10.000 mtr plot and really didnt want to have reckers fitted (grills) and although we do have dogs wanted an Alarm that we could feel safe with, and was recommended to an English company that specializes in unique installations, we have got a parimitor alarm and something called a "sound bomb" inside which they say is impossible to to break into, we never worrie about locking windows as that is where the only damage is made (breaking them to get in) the alarm system takes care of the home.They also offer a full refund if anything is stolen from your house with the alarm armed. We decided not to go with the monitored system because of the amount of houses still being broken into the thief knows that he has around 10 minutes befour a security guard arrives. Our neighbor has been broken into twice and they have this monitored alarm.
Good luck
If you need there tel number let me know