Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

HELP!... moving to spain with children

HELP!... moving to spain with children

Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

D4HWT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP!... moving to spain with children

Absolutely, some kids can just adapt so easily while others take a little longer.
It just suits my situation better to keep them in an english speaking school. It is going to be difficult enough for them to adapt to the move without the added pressures of attending a non english speaking school.
Everybody's situation is different i guess and it's nice to have a choice.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

debi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by D4HWT
Hi,

I just got back from CB and spent most of my time looking between alicante and Oliva. Visited 2 british schools, Sierra Bernia which is in l'alfaz just outside Benidorm and Lady Elizabeth School which is in Lliber. My kids are 8,12 and 14. Both schools are very different as SB is very small and has limited resources but is very nice. Lady Elizabeth school is fantastic,much bigger but it is expensive. The facilities are excellent but the junior school is in Javea and is a 30 minute drive from the secondary. I turned up at both schools without an appointment and they were both keen to show us round and talk to us.
I visited the british school of alicante which is about 2 Km south of Alicante itself but i didn't go in to talk to anyone as i ran out of time.
Both schools have websites and everything is taught in english the same as UK except spanish language has to be a core subject. SB costs a bit less than Lady Elizabeth and you can see why when you visit.
I fell in love with Javier and Altea Hills areas.

Hope this is of some help to you
thanks for your info D4HWT but we will be putting our children into a spanish state school. we,re trying to learn as much of the language as we can before we get out there so it shouldnt be too hard for them and i,ve heard that once we,re living over there it should be much easier to learn due to them mixing with spanish children more.

debi
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debi
thanks for your info D4HWT but we will be putting our children into a spanish state school. we,re trying to learn as much of the language as we can before we get out there so it shouldnt be too hard for them and i,ve heard that once we,re living over there it should be much easier to learn due to them mixing with spanish children more.

debi
They will be speaking it within a couple of months no problem.
Dont forget to help them with the English at home also if you want them to be properly bi-lingual ;-)
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The power of the internet ... did you know the urb has its own web site?

http://www.lamarina.info/

It looks bloody huge!!!
thanks for that mitzyboy! it does look rather big doesn,t it!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
They will be speaking it within a couple of months no problem.
Dont forget to help them with the English at home also if you want them to be properly bi-lingual ;-)
this may sound really silly of me but do they teach castillon or valencian in south CB? we,ve just started learning the basic spanish but have heard i could be teaching them the wrong one for where we are going!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debi
this may sound really silly of me but do they teach castillon or valencian in south CB? we,ve just started learning the basic spanish but have heard i could be teaching them the wrong one for where we are going!
You should be ok, but they are very slangy (Is that a word ?) where I am.
We met some people from Madrid in Mexico and could understand them much easier ;-)
Old Feb 14th 2007, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

there,s also galician and basque! i suppose once we,re there we,ll just go with the flow! i was just worried that i might actually be making it harder for them.